Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't heard too much about this ECU piggyback since 2014 in the past threads. Was wondering who has it, what mods (if any) you have, and what your thoughts were. I am stock on an 07 CS 6spd with 93 octane gas. Originally was going to get a sprint booster but figured why not just spend an extra $300 for the same throttle response bump and a little power bump. How reversible is it? How have the maps been from Shiv?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Start with this thread if you have not read through already

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-modifications/100993-openflash-review.html

I had some fueling issues about a year ago and contacted Shiv with great response. Again, my experience and interactions are great with him.

From what I understand, the greater benefit with a tune is in giving the engine more capacity to breathe. I have a cat back exhaust from Carnewal. Getting ready to add GT 3 TB and IPD Plenum to add to the intake side. Shiv has said he will provide a map for that setup.

He also will take your log data and modify to your liking. I will likely spend more time tuning when I add the intake side.

I give Shiv and OFT a high recommendation.

Good luck and happy motoring with the mods. They are worthwhile.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It depends on what you're looking for. If you want more of 'an off the shelf' product that works well - Softronic.

OFT is also good in my opinion (I used it), but only if you really desire the "open" factor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an OFT for a while before I switched to a custom dyno tune from Steve at Fabspeed. Unfortunately my experience with OFT was not a good one. The car ran fine but drove a little weird (we found out later that the OFT tune is just a mess, it wont necessarily hurt the car but its not the correct or best way). Shiv was initially very responsive but when i started asking complicated questions unique to my needs (read driving style and mods) I wasn't getting solid answers. I also had issues with my headers throwing a cel, OFT could not code them out as they claimed before purchase.

On that note i have never had a "canned tune" like Softronics for my 987.1CS but i would not hesitate to use them if a reputable dyno shop wasn't so available to me.

Finally, my experience at Fabspeed has been fantastic. Steve's dyno tune is unreal, the driveability of the car is significantly improved from stock and my butt dyno can feel the difference. He was live tuning the car with the wheels spinning on the dyno, crazy stuff. He gave me everything i wanted and I couldn't be happier. Id recommend Fabspeed as my experience with John Gaydos and the support Fabspeed gives me when i have stupid questions is top notch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw it before, thanks. Sounds positive

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...193826-softronic-oft-stand-alone-vs-4-0l.html

Go softronic IMO. I had a hell of a time with the OFT and never got the car to run right....ever. Flashed the car with Scott's software and all issues resolved.
Also saw this earlier, except I have no plans for a giant 4.0 upgrade.

I had an OFT for a while before I switched to a custom dyno tune from Steve at Fabspeed. Unfortunately my experience with OFT was not a good one. The car ran fine but drove a little weird (we found out later that the OFT tune is just a mess, it wont necessarily hurt the car but its not the correct or best way). Shiv was initially very responsive but when i started asking complicated questions unique to my needs (read driving style and mods) I wasn't getting solid answers. I also had issues with my headers throwing a cel, OFT could not code them out as they claimed before purchase.
What specifically were you asking him? Was he not able to give you answers or rather a map that matched your mods? So you're saying that OFT can't manage CELs from an aftermarket header?

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want more of 'an off the shelf' product that works well - Softronic.

OFT is also good in my opinion (I used it), but only if you really desire the "open" factor.
Softronic seemed pretty popular. But I didn't like that if you return to stock in the instance of selling the car that you couldn't return it to stock. This also means the softronic has zero resellability. Plus it doesn't offer any way to log or view sensors/data logs like OFT. Other piggybacks and standalones I've used before made it easy to load maps and view changes like OFT...so while I guess I didn't need self adjustment, it just seemed more kosher. Shiv had a pretty good reputation for other cars it's just I never heard too much from the 987.1 crowd. Any others running OFT, keep your responses coming!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the plunge and ordered today ($630 shipped). Will post back my impressions of OFT map on a '07 CS 6spd stock on 93 octane. I'm not expecting a huge HP/TQ gain, but hoping for smoother powerband and increased throttle response.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Used an OFT on my 2013 BRZ that I had prior to my Cayman, and it was fantastic. Switched to a full-time E85 tune, and the process was simple, the results were fantastic, and Shiv was great to work with. I initially just bought a 91oct tune from him, drove out to his shop, and he installed it for me. When I decided I wanted to switch to E85, I bought the actual OFT and did the flash myself. If I end up doing any ECU flashing, I'll give the 987.1 OFT a try for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's my update...

Ordering/receiving: QUICK
Install: Slightly painful, I initially tried installing per the instructions but later found out I needed to send Shiv my stock file and required a computer to update the tablet. I tried my macbook with parallel windows...no go. I tried a surface pro 4...no go. I had to dig out an older Lenovo running Windows 7 to update.
Uploading: Painless...no charger required like for Softronic.
How she goes: Definitely more responsive throttle, don't feel the need for a spring booster now. Noticeably more partial throttle grunt and what feels like mid-range grunt. Top end, maybe slightly more. Around town is noticeably more lively which to me is what counts. I am completely stock running 93 pump gas so I wasn't expecting a dramatic increase. Overall I am very pleased for such an easily reversible mod that can only help if I decide to put some bolt-ons. I personally don't want a loud car (had those in the past) so this was perfect for me. I would highly recommend it for anyone with similar intentions. I would say the one downside is that I've found my MPG has gone down some. This may be some what anecdotal as I didn't quantify before and after. Maybe others can chime in if they saw similar results.

Thanks Shiv!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my update...

Ordering/receiving: QUICK
Install: Slightly painful, I initially tried installing per the instructions but later found out I needed to send Shiv my stock file and required a computer to update the tablet. I tried my macbook with parallel windows...no go. I tried a surface pro 4...no go. I had to dig out an older Lenovo running Windows 7 to update.
Uploading: Painless...no charger required like for Softronic.
How she goes: Definitely more responsive throttle, don't feel the need for a spring booster now. Noticeably more partial throttle grunt and what feels like mid-range grunt. Top end, maybe slightly more. Around town is noticeably more lively which to me is what counts. I am completely stock running 93 pump gas so I wasn't expecting a dramatic increase. Overall I am very pleased for such an easily reversible mod that can only help if I decide to put some bolt-ons. I personally don't want a loud car (had those in the past) so this was perfect for me. I would highly recommend it for anyone with similar intentions. I would say the one downside is that I've found my MPG has gone down some. This may be some what anecdotal as I didn't quantify before and after. Maybe others can chime in if they saw similar results.

Thanks Shiv!
Thanks for the update. I just decided to take the plunge and order it yesterday.
You sent in your stock file to get a single custom tune? Or were there other "off-the-shelf" tunes available?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.