Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may be aware I've got a written off 981 Boxster that's as good as a roadworthy car that I'm tearing down for the fun of it.

It currently is on the lift and has the roof, engine covers, underfloor covers, some of the interior and a few other things removed. Getting access to most of the car is pretty easy, and it will be in this state for a while.

If there is anything specific that people want me to dig into I'm more than happy to do so. There was some discussion recently about the squeaking fuel tank. I had no idea there was an issue so I poked around and found a solution that seems to have helped a few people.

If there is anything like this, or just photos of stuff under covers that you need just sing out. I learn loads each day I'm under the car, and I'm enjoying every moment of it. Just let me know what you need.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
747 Posts
Appreciate your efforts to help the forum members! I have installed a plastic screen on the inner section of side scoop air vents but would be interested to see the inside as many have experienced leaf or debris being sucked into the fan making weird noise. I just want to get an idea of what I would be dealing with in case it will happen to me in the future that may help me decide the course of action to take. Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate your efforts to help the forum members! I have installed a plastic screen on the inner section of side scoop air vents but would be interested to see the inside as many have experienced leaf or debris being sucked into the fan making weird noise. I just want to get an idea of what I would be dealing with in case it will happen to me in the future that may help me decide the course of action to take. Thanks!
Does this have what you are after? If not. let me know exactly and I'll go digging.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks so much for doing these. I’m thinking of adding an accessible extension cable to the emergency release cable behind the left hand front wheel well liner. Perhaps a quick video showing it’s location? Might help those who need to open the frunk when the battery is flat.

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S - PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV - used for autocross and track days
42 Posts
Love all your videos! Watched all of them (I think).

I would suggest making one video devoted to all the 981 "known problems". Maybe you could edit some of your videos to achieve this. (let me know if you need help...was a video editor for the past 30 years). TOPICS: Changing the coils/plugs (for #6 cylinder missfire engine code), accessing and glueing the microswitches for the convertible top issues, walnut blasting the valves (you already have a great video about this), and any other "known issues" I'm not thinking of. Plus, that video should get you a ton of "likes" as it should be very popular.

Just my $0.02 from an ex marketing/advertising guy. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
As some may be aware I've got a written off 981 Boxster that's as good as a roadworthy car that I'm tearing down for the fun of it.

It currently is on the lift and has the roof, engine covers, underfloor covers, some of the interior and a few other things removed. Getting access to most of the car is pretty easy, and it will be in this state for a while.

If there is anything specific that people want me to dig into I'm more than happy to do so. There was some discussion recently about the squeaking fuel tank. I had no idea there was an issue so I poked around and found a solution that seems to have helped a few people.

If there is anything like this, or just photos of stuff under covers that you need just sing out. I learn loads each day I'm under the car, and I'm enjoying every moment of it. Just let me know what you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since you're offering...:)
My 987.1 is suffering from FDS(Foam Decay Syndrome) and has been blowing bits of foam out the a/c vents for the past year. I've seen videos of owners hacking thru the hvac via the center vent (not my preferred method) to gain access to the diverter door. But it's my understanding that the diverter can be accessed via a panel located under the battery tray.
What's not clear to me is how to remove/replace the diverter door. I'm thinking of replacing the foam with something that won't decay like a scuff pad maybe(?)
I imagine there is limited access to the diverter door within the airbox, so it may be a challenge to get any video, but some still pics of what to anticipate would be helpful as well.
Thanks for the offer,
-k

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 987.1 is suffering from FDS(Foam Decay Syndrome) and has been blowing bits of foam out the a/c vents for the past year. I've seen videos of owners hacking thru the hvac via the center vent (not my preferred method) to gain access to the diverter door. But it's my understanding that the diverter can be accessed via a panel located under the battery tray.
What's not clear to me is how to remove/replace the diverter door. I'm thinking of replacing the foam with something that won't decay like a scuff pad maybe(?)
Have you seen the video on the HVAC system I made. Is this the same system as the 981? Does this contain the information you need? I'm not sure which foam you are referring to. There is some at the connection of the dashboard pipes with the HVAC unit, and also more just prior to the blower at the front wall. The foam just prior to the blower wouldn't come through to the cabin as it would be caught by the a/c evaporator. There's nothing under the battery tray except the heater core and a/c pipe connections.

Video here:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would suggest making one video devoted to all the 981 "known problems".
I'll keep this in mind for the future when I get a bit more knowledge. I definitely don't think I'm there yet. As you can tell I'm definitely not a 'video editor', and it's the less enjoyable part of the process.

To be honest I couldn't care less about the 'likes' or 'subscribes' except this just gives an indication that the information I'm providing is considered helpful. I'm trying to put myself in the position I was years ago and ask 'what would I want to see so I could feel confident to do this DIY'. Anything beyond that doesn't interest me that much.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Keep ‘em coming! I sent you a little PayPal love (converted to Ausie schillings or whatever you blokes use down under ).

Shawn in VA (USA)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts