Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2006 CS a few weeks ago, and it came with 2 good Yoko Advan S4 Xl on the front, and one brand new one in the rear. The 4th had a nail it it, so I bought one more new one, not knowing that tire at all... Tire rack mentioned this was *NOT* one of the OEM tires and it had a stiffer sidewall rating or something - should have paid more attention, but not much choice anyway unless I wanted to replace all 4.

I must say I don't like them much. They are cheaper, which is not always a good sign ;-) Grip is decent, I suppose, so is the noise level, but the car feel disjointed, and I think it's the tires... My last "Cayman'ish" car was an 05 boxster on Michelin PS2s. That car felt SOLID. The steering spoke to me. The cayman should feel even better with a roof, but it feels numb and for lack of a better term, I'm not "feeling" the car all that much... It feels exactly like my 996 felt before I discovered the dealer had put 44 psi in the tires, like I'm riding on numb balloons ! (I'm exagerating to explain my point, it's not that bad)

I'm pretty sure it's the tires, and I'm gonna make a good faith attempt at destroying them or bending them to my will at Sebring next month.

Just trying to get an idea of other people's opinions, if you tried those tires. If it's overwhelmingly "you're crazy, Greg, I love them" maybe I will investigate my suspension or lower pressures, something... if it's the other way around (I get a few "me too"), I'll start saving for a set of bridgestones or michelins... Just curious at this point...

Sadly for me, while I'm no ace mechanic, I have a lot of "feel" for my cars and it's often causing me to chase my own tail because I just can't let little vibes or noises go (or in this case lack of feedback).... :thanks:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I don't know anything more than what TR says about those tires, but my guess is that you're right about them not providing the handling feel you should be getting from your Cayman.

Tire Rack calls them "Ultra High Performance All-Season" (one of my favorite car-related oxymorons). On the other hand, they should provide a comfortable ride, low noise, and long wear (wear index = 400). They were probably installed in order to save the seller money.

Any of the OEM tires for your car should work much better than what you have. If you search this site, you should find plenty of threads discussing tires for the CS. There's a current/recent thread on the Bridgestone RE-11, for example. Others have bought Firestone's F1 Asymmetric. I don't think you'll be able to get full pleasure from your car on tires coming from any TR category below maximum performance summer tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.