Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s my situation. I currently own a Range Rover which lease expires in May, 2019, It’s my only vehicle and drive it year round. I typically lease because I like to get into a new vehicle every 3 years. Usually I get bored with my vehicles after a couple of years but have always leased for 3 years. It’s been a while since I’ve owned a true sports car. I bought an RX7 20 years ago but sold it after having kids and not wanting the hassle of putting it away every winter and driving a winter only car. Plus with kids I wasn’t able to drive it as much. Well now the kids are gone and I really want to own my dream car. What I’m not sure of is whether or not I will want to keep it more than 2 years. My plan is to order the car for an April delivery. Next winter I will store it and continue using my RR. In May, 2019 I turn in the RR and at that point will only have the 718. In the winter of 2019 I will either need to store the 718 and by a winter car or decide owning a sports car is nice but don’t want the hassle of buying a winter car, and selling or turning in the 718.

My options are buying the 718 outright in April and selling it myself in the Fall of 2019 (prior to the winter storage) if I decide I don't want to own 2 vehicles, or leasing the car for 2 years and if I decide I like it so much that I don't mind having 2 vehicles, go ahead and purchasing it after the lease ends (or purchase a new 2020 718).

The advantages of leasing for 2 years is it gives me time to determine if the car is something I want to own long term without having to purchase a winter car (since I’ll still have the RR for the first winter) and also not have to lay down $70k from the get go to find out. The obvious disadvantage is leasing will surely cost me a little more money.

Thoughts please. Anything else I should be considering?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Lease.
1. You get to determine if a sports car is right for you. If not, you walk away.
2. Hard to sell a sports car in the fall. You'll have to really discount the price to move it.
3. While your car will only be 1.5 yrs old, it will be considered 2 yrs old b/c the '20s will be out (wow, that's sobering to type). Once again, you have to discount your price enough to incent a buyer to purchase used instead of new.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think he's getting the Cayman (from his signature line).
I don't like any of the choices. I vote for purchase the Cayman outright and keep it for eight years.
One thing I noticed with the lease arrangements is that the mileage seems restrictive to me so I would keep that in mind if it's an issue. I think I've seen 7500 and 5000 from the local dealer in ads.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Thanks. I've updated my post. Regardless Boxster or Cayman, it's difficult to sell a sports car in cold weather territory in the fall.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like any of the choices. I vote for purchase the Cayman outright and keep it for eight years.
One thing I noticed with the lease arrangements is that the mileage seems restrictive to me so I would keep that in mind if it's an issue. I think I've seen 7500 and 5000 from the local dealer in ads.
I’ll be getting a Cayman. Since I’ll only be driving it 8 months out of the year I would go with a 7500 mile/yr lease.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Did you consider getting a second set of rims with winter tires for winter driving?

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you consider getting a second set of rims with winter tires for winter driving?
No, that’s not something I would care to do. Sports cars and snow, in my opinion, don’t mix.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
746 Posts
No, that’s not something I would care to do. Sports cars and snow, in my opinion, don’t mix.
If your city salts the roads during winter, I would 100% agree. However, Porsche specifically tests their sports cars in the snow.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your city salts the roads during winter, I would 100% agree. However, Porsche specifically tests their sports cars in the snow.
Also, Caymans / 911 are the best options you can get for RWD winter driving - the weight is over the rear wheels. So add some winter tires and you're plenty good to go.
I have my car ceramic coated and will be driving it daily in Cleveland, OH. All it takes is an automatic laser (touchless) wash every couple weeks to keep the salt off.

Maybe once my lease is up I'll be keeping the Cayman and getting a more practical car.... but who am I kidding, I want a 911 next :D

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Here’s my situation. I currently own a Range Rover which lease expires in May, 2019, It’s my only vehicle and drive it year round. I typically lease because I like to get into a new vehicle every 3 years. Usually I get bored with my vehicles after a couple of years but have always leased for 3 years. It’s been a while since I’ve owned a true sports car. I bought an RX7 20 years ago but sold it after having kids and not wanting the hassle of putting it away every winter and driving a winter only car. Plus with kids I wasn’t able to drive it as much. Well now the kids are gone and I really want to own my dream car. What I’m not sure of is whether or not I will want to keep it more than 2 years. My plan is to order the car for an April delivery. Next winter I will store it and continue using my RR. In May, 2019 I turn in the RR and at that point will only have the 718. In the winter of 2019 I will either need to store the 718 and by a winter car or decide owning a sports car is nice but don’t want the hassle of buying a winter car, and selling or turning in the 718.

My options are buying the 718 outright in April and selling it myself in the Fall of 2019 (prior to the winter storage) if I decide I don't want to own 2 vehicles, or leasing the car for 2 years and if I decide I like it so much that I don't mind having 2 vehicles, go ahead and purchasing it after the lease ends (or purchase a new 2020 718).

The advantages of leasing for 2 years is it gives me time to determine if the car is something I want to own long term without having to purchase a winter car (since I’ll still have the RR for the first winter) and also not have to lay down $70k from the get go to find out. The obvious disadvantage is leasing will surely cost me a little more money.

Thoughts please. Anything else I should be considering?
I've driven my '06 Cayman S for 10 winters. No rust. Still fun. You need winter tires and, if the snow gets real deep, ground clearance is an issue, but if you live where they shovel quickly, a Cayman is a great winter machine. Really fun on good winter sport tires. I'm on my 2nd used set of Pirelli. These have 255 width in back...as recommended. My first ones had 265 and I think I prefer 265 in back. It's still a pile of fun and I've never got stuck.

I have a heated garage and I'm glad I do. I don't think the Cayman would be near as good a winter car without that.

I wouldn't be afraid to drive one of the new ones as my only car. Get a light metallic color if you're going to really drive it. Easier and more forgiving to take care of.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have decided to do a 2 year lease. As I’ve mentioned, I will have my Range Rover for the first winter. If I decide that I’m going to keep the car when the lease is up I will determine before the 2nd winter whether I want to drive it year round or get a winter ride.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I second this. Consider getting a set of winter tyres...
Otherwise your paying for a car youre not using half of the year, then there's no point in having it at all!
That’s not a valid point. It would be 3-4 months a year and plenty of people store their cars while still making payments. In a lease you’re paying for miles more than time. If I did use it over the winter, which by the way as I’ve already said i wouldn’t need to do the first year as I already have a 2nd vehicle, I would have to add more miles to my lease, effectively increasing my cost. So it's not like by not using it during the winter it’s costing me the same. It would cost me more.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Are you absolutely locked in on a base Cayman?
I've driven both and if it were my only car, I'd make sure it had the goods --the S does.
Not sure what the lease difference might be, but if you're only keeping it 2 years I'm thinking the extra lease cost on an S will be made up in spades in grins.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you absolutely locked in on a base Cayman?
I've driven both and if it were my only car, I'd make sure it had the goods --the S does.
Not sure what the lease difference might be, but if you're only keeping it 2 years I'm thinking the extra lease cost on an S will be made up in spades in grins.
The base has plenty of get up
and go for my needs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks. I've updated my post. Regardless Boxster or Cayman, it's difficult to sell a sports car in cold weather territory in the fall.
True, but living in the south I drive all year and if I'm in the market I have no seasonal concerns. My 981's lease ends 12/18 so I will actually be thinking about keeping it or getting another one then.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
That’s not a valid point. It would be 3-4 months a year and plenty of people store their cars while still making payments. In a lease you’re paying for miles more than time. If I did use it over the winter, which by the way as I’ve already said i wouldn’t need to do the first year as I already have a 2nd vehicle, I would have to add more miles to my lease, effectively increasing my cost. So it's not like by not using it during the winter it’s costing me the same. It would cost me more.
I have only two points, that are as far from facts as you can get and still be in the same solar system - but you did ask for opinions, so there.

1) I have NEVER in my life regretted a decision more than when I purchased a compromise vehicle. I wanted it to do this and that, but it ended up messing both this - and that as well. It costed me over $70,000 all in to repair the mistake, but would have loved not to commit it in the first place. This is to say that you NEED two vehicles if you own Porsche sports car, regardless of where you live - Florida or Manitoba. IMO, that is.

2) If you are talking "rational money spending" and "Porsche" in the same sentence, you need a refresher in semantics or a good mental health professional. I always get a kick of the people's post trying to justify and rationalize completely irrational purchases. Like, totally, dude. If you are worried about some lease money over mileage or whatever, you really need to look at Nissans and not at Porsche. This is not meant to say you do not have money - I am sure you do, but this is a wrong vehicle to buy with that approach. If you said even once that you want to take that corner out of your subdivision with slight negative camber at 60 mph even if limit is 35 mph and rotate that mother mid-corner with a sublime throttle lift, just as front tires move to drop off the "Eff this, I'm on vacay as of now" notice in your mailbox ... spend even $500,000 if necessary and you will be happy. But I did not see that requirement specified.

Peace out and good luck with your choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.