Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

TLDR; What should I do with my Boxster Base 981?

• Keep

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 981 S

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 981 GTS

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 718 S or GTS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hold just a bit, GTS 4.0 will get a PDK...

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 911 dammit!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Opinions sought -- 981 base, 981 GTS, 718s...

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  isthar 
#1 ·
Situation. I've been enjoying a 2013 Boxster (base) for about 2-3 years. A lovely guards red, very loaded with the creature comfort stuff, but no special interior, no fancy seats, in that department, it's the black plastic interior. Oh, manual.

I've enjoyed, sorry, I AM enjoying it fully. I go out for fun drives every day or every other day or so, weather permitting. I just go for a run, point A to point A, find curves, etc. I enjoy the "slow car fast" mantra, I ring it out fully since its a stick shift and slow, so I get to enjoy a 1st and 2nd blast often. Objectively, yeah ,who needs a car faster than this.

But, as a car enthusiast (I've had a fair share of cars, for toys before the Boxster was a Miata which got me into the love for a convertible toy car...), sometimes we seek more. Specifically, if a Genie came and said what do you want changed in your car, I'd just say "faster".

Now, I've explored the landscape, let's see:

The somewhat obvious, is to jump generation, since 718 has been out for a while. I test drove the 718 base once, yes, felt/is faster. But, the sound stuff, ugh. So I thought, for the price... the tech is better but not dramatically and how can I do that and let go of a beautiful 6 cyl...

Lately the news that looked destined to save the day! (well, wait, we'll talk money later) ... the 718 will have a non 4-cyl? Sweet! First, it was a Spyder... which, btw the 981 Spyder is one of the Dream cars for me, except that I like to mostly daily my car, so... and actually I love opening and closing the roof while driving, so... yeah, sadly no 981 Spyder option this go around. Then the GTS 4.0!? YES! the daily spyder! Again, not out yet, and besides, once config'ed it'll be $120 +-, which no, not what I want to spend right now (some day maybe...)

Also, I have been wanting to swap out to a PDK. What!? How!? Well, it is so my partner can also enjoy what I enjoy all the time. It also comes along with, well, I've enjoyed tremendously the slow car manual thing (miata and boxster base) but I might now be good with going back to 'stomp and fast' (like my previous daily was, an M235). So , then I realized the GTS 4.0 as announced is manual only... so I closed that book too.

So do I see that there is only one option really? the '16 GTS 981? [going Base to S seems too incremental for the money. W a GTS, while I realize it's "mostly just an S anyways" it has a slight specialty to it to justify some of the balance].

I'm going to test drive a '16 GTS soon, but, I'm curious if someone wants to tell me they had a similar story and landed, perhaps, with a 718 and that I should reconsider my view of the 718 (S at least, GTS even) ? I do value near-new cars, I love me some warranty and all that but I love the savings from "high milers" when I find them (the 981+ gen porsches really don't seem to care about 'high miles' which I find scare a lot of buyers, good for me!).

Thoughts? Yes, I might still give the 718 S (or even GTS?) a drive, see ... but I will really miss the wail. I really do enjoy that part. I think I'll be okay missing the manual, the sound I might not. It will just feel like a lot of money for a fair big loss.

Don't mean to just focus on the sound, plenty of threads on that, but curious what others might think of offering a Base 981 owner wanting a refresh/faster experience.

p.s. 911 ... to me, only 2017+ is what I would do (I would want a visual interior change if I do that), and I asked myself again, it's mostly a toy car (it's a third car, the 911 would compete with my daily (a macan)).

See less See more
#2 ·
Have driven many 718S models and none of them make me want to get out of my (now getting old) 981GTS. The GTS also have something extra over the S with options - not sure quite how it feels so different, bit the chassis tweak and exhaust make it a more aggressive and engaging drive. It also has one of the more destinctive exhaust sounds from any non-GT Porsche I have ever heard.

There's a reason the GTS is holding its value so well. Too early to see if the 718GTS4.0 has the same amount of character.

For me, the only thing that will move me on is the GT4PDK, which is not out yet.

/R

My Porsche pics on Instagram: the_porsche_rich

#3 ·
Keep the base 981
Why would you need to option a 718 4.0 to 120k; that's way over the top. You can do a Spyder for 108k. You should be more like 100k max on the 718 4.0 that's the whole a idea a more reachable Spyder/GT4 at a lower price not a higher price. Are you looking seriously or just dreaming ?

#4 ·
To Augie - reasonably seriously looking. Monetarily speaking, I'm looking at the 65 +- figures that lets you get into a GTS (and then when I sum up cost of my base + cost of switch it is still under original sticker of a GTS). I agree, the 100+s at that point there opens up a lot of dreams, spyders or 911 Ts and many other cool cars (or older Targas)... but I think I've concluded to stick to a reasonable 'upgrade' but keeping it in the toy category (to me I would switch to a 911 by going back to just having 2 cars in the family, not 2+toy).

#5 ·
I drove a 718S at SPA for two days last year and it was noticeably faster than my 981S. Otherwise nothing else jumped out at me other than the exhaust note. Prior to hearing it, I thought all the complaints were just that but having listened to it for two days, I'm not sure I would like to listen to it regularly. It was a great deal of fun though. A 718GTS would appear to be a good choice if you want the increased power without the exhaust note. Best of luck.

#6 ·
Back when I was shopping I test drove the base and it just didn't do it for me. I think if I had the base, I would be where you are now. It was either extend the budget and get a 981 S or spend a lot less and get a Miata.

Glad I decided to push the budget and get the 981 S. No regrets. A Cobb tune will get you to the same HP as a GTS.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input so far. Went to look at the 16 GTS near me, no test drives yet due to COVID and all that, unless you "are ready to go" but... how can you be ready if you need to know if a GTS w/ X73 from a base 18" will be what you want? I'm keeping eyes open, and in fullness of time I would still love to check out a 718 GTS (non 4) as their values become, well, good values, in some ways.

I'll say I went out almost all morning in my Base and she's just awesome! There's a lot of "it's fast enough for backroads" for sure, just the occasional stoplight angst ;) [that's what I get for a Guards Red 981 too!]

#8 · (Edited)
You might consider getting a Cobb AccessPort tune. They have some pretty significant gains on the 2.7l engine - 10-13% in HP & torque across the RPM range with Stage 1 map - stock motor/intake/exhaust. It's also completely reversible and resellable if you don't like it, or you can use it on a 981 S or GTS or 991 later. I've been running one on my S daily driver for a couple years. I bought mine used from a guy who sold his car.

#10 ·
OP, you are a bit all over the place. I will only give you an example that works for myself and in no way am I suggesting that you use same parameters because what I do is the only way to go. Not the point. Point is how to help yourself make a decision.

I would start with a question "What is it that I want out of that car?". Possible answers could be "Status." Or "Getting good looking dates". Or "Punishing my dad." Or ... whatever. In my case, the answer is "To have most fun I can have with $X I am willing to spend."

Now, the hard part. Question is "What do I regard as fun when speaking about cars?". In my case the answer is "Engagement of all possible senses; g forces above any perception of sheer speed".

To that end, I needed a car (in that order)

• in which I can fit with helmet
  • that talks to me easily and clearly (great communication through steering wheel and the seat)
  • sounds divine
  • is RWD
  • has MT
  • has LSD
  • has good suspension and damping
  • is relatively lightweight and well balanced

In my case, those points eliminated : Miata, BRZ (can't fit with helmet in neither of them), M2, Alfa 4C. In your case, my list of requirements would eliminate 991.2 and 992 generation and 718 S or GTS.

Spend some time and do a list. It can save you a lot of grief and a lot of money. Scotch helps in being honest during the discussion between you and yourself. :)

#11 ·
OP, you are a bit all over the place. I will only give you an example that works for myself and in no way am I suggesting that you use same parameters because what I do is the only way to go. Not the point. Point is how to help yourself make a decision.

I would start with a question "What is it that I want out of that car?". Possible answers could be "Status." Or "Getting good looking dates". Or "Punishing my dad." Or ... whatever. In my case, the answer is "To have most fun I can have with $X I am willing to spend."
Hey Cinci! Def appreciate the time you put in typing all that. If I came across as all over the place, it might be because I was somewhat laying it all out there (because there are many options) but it isn't that large a landscape; I'm definitely only looking at: keeping put and enjoying my slow 981; putting in some money to refresh the car (lower miles) and gain some speed and usability (GTS for speed, PDK for usability - meaning, my sig. other's enjoyment too). I was then contrasting what the P world looks like, almost purely just in Boxster terms: the 718 range (simplified only in S vs GTS vs GTS 4).

If there was a common pattern for car enthusiasts that move from car to car... this is the ever-old dilemma of "spend X today or X+Y tomorrow" in relation to "just enjoy what you have today" people, "spend little and make the most of it" and finally "don't buy any less than your dream". I think everyone is right at times.

Ok let me end specifically. I am pretty convinced I am either staying on the 981 manual and enjoying it a year or two ish and reviewing then, or just going ahead with a PDK GTS search and execution, at a fraction of what a 718 GTS 4 will be.

#12 ·
Oh let's lay it out very directly too: the 981 base is definitely quick enough for twisties and backroads. It sounds AMAZING.
It only bugs me when my Guards Red 981 is at a stop light and I do wish, yes, sorry, childish here, I do wish I always knew I can get in front. My BMW M235xi knew how to do that :)

#14 ·
I recently bought a near new 2016 981S. This was last year before the new GTS 4.0 was to be released. I test drove new 718S. It was nice but I wasn’t sold on the “aural experience”. So I searched and found a 981S. SOLD! This beast sounds like a PORSCHE is supposed to sound.

I hope to buy a new GTS 4.0 as soon as they release one with PDK.

regarding the 911, personally I prefer the aesthetic appeal of the new Cayman (981 forward). I also love the fact the Cay has no rear “jump seat” and it’s mid-engine design.

if you can afford both… I would keep the Boxster and add a GTS 4.0 to the collection… To me that would be the perfect collection! 😇

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.