Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Option code 490

Hi,

A quick one please, when I looked up my VIN (~Cayman 981 2014) it gave an option code 490: Sound System ASK.
Does it mean it has sound package plus?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologies for the duplicate post, got an error while processing and ended up posting it twice :(

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Re: Option code 490

Hi,

A quick one please, when I looked up my VIN (~Cayman 981 2014) it gave an option code 490: Sound System ASK.
Does it mean it has sound package plus?

Thanks
I believe so. You should see woofers through the door panels if you have SPP. On a Cayman, SPP has rear speakers. Should be able to hear them. Finally, if you have an amplifier under the passenger seat carpet, it is SPP or higher. Basic Sound package system speakers are driven by the radio directly.

V6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for that.. I can't really check the car in person yet since I haven't actually bought it yet. Just checking the specs on VIN (as the owner is not quite sure either).
Wondering if there is a specific code for SPP for 981.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

ASK is the company that made the amplifier. As the base system had an integrated amp, you must have the SPP.

Reactions: nomyy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I'll check and revert.

Not that SPP is anything to be excited about but surely it'll be better compared to the standard system. :)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

ASK is the company that made the amplifier. As the base system had an integrated amp, you must have the SPP.
ASK makes all amplifiers and soeakers for basic, Sound package plus, Bose and Burmester. However, PET calls option I490: Sound System "ASK". So the original question is a valid one. I680 is "BOSE sound package"and I682 is "Top Premium sound system", aka Burmester.

V6

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

ASK makes all amplifiers and soeakers for basic, Sound package plus, Bose and Burmester. However, PET calls option I490: Sound System "ASK". So the original question is a valid one. I680 is "BOSE sound package"and I682 is "Top Premium sound system", aka Burmester.

V6
Hmm, point taken. In Canada our options were a bit different - we did not have the SPP - but my understanding was that the SPP had a USB port but the base audio did not. If true, the OP could get the owner to check the glovebox for the port.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks i'd get him to have a look for me.

Does any one have an SPP on their 981? maybe we can check the option code, if it's 490 or something else.
There is an option code 494 for an amplifier but I don't think it's for 981.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

Thanks i'd get him to have a look for me.

Does any one have an SPP on their 981? maybe we can check the option code, if it's 490 or something else.
There is an option code 494 for an amplifier but I don't think it's for 981.
My Boxster has the Infotainment Package P9F, which includes Sound Package Plus, So there may be multiple ways of getting it.

V6

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

In the PET PDF for a 981 Boxster, I went to the speaker section and checked the I490 options. It appears the tweeters, midranges, woofers, and mid-ranges have an I490 designation and the speakers match the part numbers for my Boxster with SP+. As such, I am leaning towards saying the option I490 is SP+, but just not 100 percent sure.

[EDIT] I490 also lists the audio amplifier under the passenger seat, so I am now 98% sure I490 is Sound Package Plus. However, the radio can be CDR31 or PCM depending on other options. The P9F Infotainment package bundles the CD changer, jukebox, NAV, and Sat radio as well.

V6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

hmm nice one... , so does the SPP only comes with PCM?
I also have an option code 665: PCM-3 basic module inc. radio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts