Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I saw the 'options I'm glad I bought' thread and I thought to myself that <u>this</u> thread might actually be more helpful to potential buyers - certainly CaymanClub provided me with far more knowledge than my dealer ever did, but I still have regrets - so here's my list - feel free to add your own or comment on mine.
<p dir="ltr" style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">1. <u>Don't buy PCM and PASM and NOT sports chrono</u> - I didn't get SC since I didn't like the 'wart' on the dashboard and even though I though a 'sport' throttle map might be nice I couldn't bear the ugliness. I may be the only person who did this but don't repeat my mistake!
<p dir="ltr" style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">Imagine my surprise then when I found <u>not</u> having sports chrono disables all of the following
<p dir="ltr" style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">i. Several otherwise-available options in the PCM including controlling automatic door locking (WHY)
ii. Mirror 'memory' positions keyed to drivers KEY, including automatic changing (lowering) of passenger door mirror when you put the car into reverse .
iii. denies you the sportier PSM (stability) setup even when you are using the sportier PASM (suspension)setup
iv. (I believe) changing the re-locking time intervals, and the time interval for the 'welcome home lighting'
<p dir="ltr" style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">2. I couldn't care less personallyabout automatic wipers but I find it VERY difficult to live without the auto-dimming mirrors - I haven't driven a car without these for years and if I could retro-fir them I would do so. bear in mind also that the wing mirrors can be blindingly bright without auto-dim.

<p dir="ltr" style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">3. Park-assist - which I did buy but which I think is fabulous and makes life much less nervous - I recommend highly.
<p dir="ltr" style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">Kind regards
<p dir="ltr" style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">Colm

·
Registered
736 Posts
I also bought the parking assist system. My thinking was that one bump would more than pay for the system if you had to take it to a body shop. Not experienced it before or seen it at the dealer so not sure how effective it is. But sounds like your happy with it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
When backing up it gives an audible sound telling you when your rear gets within a few inches of a wall or other obsticle.I have a truck and always have problems judging a wall when I am backing up. i don't know if it will be an issue with the Cayman but I ordered it anyway.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ifigured one small scratch on the rear bumper and you have paid for the $530 option. Not having backed up in the car yet it may not be a problem. Too bad they don't offer something for under the front end.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
I wish I had the parking assist as well but the Cayman almost always gets parallel parked. I'm glad I passed on the sport seats. They fit everywhere except my shoulders and are just a bit too restrictive for me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
In any case, I will have a chip to re-map the throttle full time. -Pete
How would you do that? When is this chip available? Any dea of possible cost? I didnt order SC so I guess this is the way to go if you wanted something extra in the throttle Dept. Those who also dont have SC, would you consider it? Tks .. COCO

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I purposfully didn't order the SC because i didn't want to pay so much for the stopwatch i would never use. The only thing that would have been nice is the less restrictive PSM, but if (when) i'm on the track i'll just keep it turned off.

One thing to note about the rear park distance sensors is that they add 4 small sensors to the rear of the car. In my opinioni don't like the way they look.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I thought the park assist was gimmicky - until I rented an unfamiliar car (well SUV) that had it and I had to parallel park on a busy street in the pouring rain. Could not see anything behind me as I backed into the spot. With the park assist tone beeping faster and faster, I knew how close I was... loved it. Ordered it for the Cayman S.

== RedEye

Edited by - RedEye on 02/04/2006 6:52:45 PM

·
Registered
727 Posts
Folks...

For those of us who check this website at work..., having stuff like that makes it a little sketchy. Can we keep this website clean? Otherwise, I'm going to have to avoid it at work.

·
Registered
829 Posts
peace all. Sorry for the inconvenience. It all started with that Jessica thingy..I guess I need to do something more productive while I wait for my croc...COCO

1 - 20 of 28 Posts