Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure a way to make my tail lights all red without buying an excessively priced new set from Sun Coast. Even a used set on eBay (if you can find them) is over $300.00. I looked into putting a red film over that area, but from what I saw online the red on the film doesn't match the red of the plastic tail light very well. Is there a way to paint it with some kind of translucent paint? Are there any other options people have successfully tried?

Yes, I know if I cover this area with a paint or film it will impeded to some degree the effectiveness of the reverse lights and directional. But if they can be purchased new this way, I would think there'd be an aftermarket alternative, right?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I presume that the ones sold by Suncoast are US legal. Meaning that the b/u light lens may appear to be red, but when lit, it actually shows-up as white. If not, it is a huge safety issue. I think that would be a big issue with any homebrew solution.
As a boater, I understand why lights are required to be specific colors. It always bothers me when I see some clown's Honda with green fog lights or blue turn signals, or blacked-out brake lights. I guess cops are too busy writing speeding tickets.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Yes there is clear coat that you can apply to the lens, but I think that I would be very careful with it, anything that can be 'painted' on is going to be softer than the tail light plastic so it will scratch!

As for the signal lights I was going to who uses them anyway, but I thought, oh you mean for those who do, yes they will be harder to see for those that actually pay attention.

Me, I just installed GT4 light, all done in minutes...

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The backup light is not part of the taillight assembly so just leave it alone.
I'm not following you. On a 987.1, aren't the backup lights part of the same component? And everything else is already red. So IDK what else OP was referring to.
Here's the suncoast link to their 987.1 "red" tail lights. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK987REDS.html

UPDATE: I honestly didn't know that the rear marker/turn lights on our cars were amber. All my other cars had red rear turn/markers on the rear fenders or as part of the assembly. Amber makes no sense to me since it would tell from a long distance which end of the car you're looking at. I feel this is a valuable piece of information and is easily perceived by the color of the flashing light.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I'm not following you. On a 987.1, aren't the backup lights part of the same component? And everything else is already red. So IDK what else OP was referring to.
Here's the suncoast link to their 987.1 "red" tail lights. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK987REDS.html

UPDATE: I honestly didn't know that the rear marker/turn lights on our cars were amber. All my other cars had red rear turn/markers on the rear fenders or as part of the assembly. Amber makes no sense to me since it would tell from a long distance which end of the car you're looking at. I feel this is a valuable piece of information and is easily perceived by the color of the flashing light.
My bad, I was thinking 981 backup lights not 987... corrected my post above.

Interestingly there are those that say amber for the rear signal make more sense, 981's have red rear signal indicators in North America and amber in Europe IIRC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.