Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of waiting, I have finally received confirmation for a June build date for a MY2011 Cayman S! I have opted for almost all of the performance options combined with a full leather interior. I love the look and feel of natural brown leather in a Porsche and I had already decided on NBR before selecting any of the other options including the exterior color. I think that the natural leather adds a richness and quality to the cabin, befitting of a luxury sports car. For the other options, I have gained much insight from this great forum and I was able to research the pros and cons of various options from the many informative FAQ’s, articles and subject threads. I didn’t want PCM but was going to opt for Bluetooth and audio interface. As a bonus I just found out that both of these options are now standard.
I did have a hard time deciding between PDK and MT as I have always been of the school that a performance sports car needs to be a manual transmission. However, after much consideration & research (plus a test drive in a friend’s PDK equipped Carrera S) I have decided to go with the PDK. According to my dealer, Porsche expects that >70% of their cars sold will be PDK by 2012. The availability of paddles for MY2011 was icing on the cake! I also looked closely at the Porsche Sport Exhaust system, but I have decided to go after market at a later date – maybe a future SpeedArt group buy? I have waited 25 years to purchase my first Porsche; I wanted to do it right and build my dream machine. Here is my build:

• Meteor Grey Metallic
  • Natural Brown Leather
  • Sport seats (heated)
  • PDK
  • PASM
  • Sports Chrono
  • LSD
  • Sport Wheel with Shift Paddles
  • Bi-Xenon
  • PDK gear selector gate surround in leather
  • Storage lid bin with Porsche Crest
  • Self-dim mirrors
  • Wheel Caps with colored crest

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
In six months you will be a proud new owner. Congratulations! I found this site after I had decided on a car. You certainly did a well thought out order.

I hope the wait time goes quickly. It would be hard for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
After weeks of waiting, I have finally received confirmation for a June build date for a MY2011 Cayman S! I have opted for almost all of the performance options combined with a full leather interior. I love the look and feel of natural brown leather in a Porsche and I had already decided on NBR before selecting any of the other options including the exterior color. I think that the natural leather adds a richness and quality to the cabin, befitting of a luxury sports car. For the other options, I have gained much insight from this great forum and I was able to research the pros and cons of various options from the many informative FAQ’s, articles and subject threads. I didn’t want PCM but was going to opt for Bluetooth and audio interface. As a bonus I just found out that both of these options are now standard.
I did have a hard time deciding between PDK and MT as I have always been of the school that a performance sports car needs to be a manual transmission. However, after much consideration & research (plus a test drive in a friend’s PDK equipped Carrera S) I have decided to go with the PDK. According to my dealer, Porsche expects that >70% of their cars sold will be PDK by 2012. The availability of paddles for MY2011 was icing on the cake! I also looked closely at the Porsche Sport Exhaust system, but I have decided to go after market at a later date – maybe a future SpeedArt group buy? I have waited 25 years to purchase my first Porsche; I wanted to do it right and build my dream machine. Here is my build:

• Meteor Grey Metallic
  • Natural Brown Leather
  • Sport seats (heated)
  • PDK
  • PASM
  • Sports Chrono
  • LSD
  • Sport Wheel with Shift Paddles
  • Bi-Xenon
  • PDK gear selector gate surround in leather
  • Storage lid bin with Porsche Crest
  • Self-dim mirrors
  • Wheel Caps with colored crest
Congrats on a beauty! Nice specs... I have a 2010 Cayman S and it seems like each year some of the options become standard. That is a good thing. I too am a lover of NB interior however last minute decided on cocoa. My exterior is GT Silver. One thing that someone pointed out to me with my cocoa and I did end up doing would also be smart to do with NB. Pay the extra to cover the steering column in your NB. If not it will be black and stand out like a sore thumb. If I remember correctly is was a $450 option. and well worth it. I also did Alcantara headliner and it is beautiful. It is black however next to the cocoa people think it is dark brown. Now in NB if you decide to go Alcantara it will be black and that was the reason I changed from NB to cocoa. I saw a 911 with NB and Alcantara and did not care for it for the same reason as the steering column. Someone said I should do it and have the dash black and floor mats. Since I could not see a car like this I had an issue not knowing for sure how it would look. Well I recently saw a 911 Turbo with that exact combo and it was smoking hot! The NB and contrast of the black dash with the Alcantara headliner is beautiful. Not to make you think too much because I know once we decide we drive everyone crazy... I bet you still have time for changes. I doubt your car will be built in June. When I placed my 2010 order in May 2009 I was also told a June build and it was more like September with late October delivery. Either way it is worth the wait and your car sounds awesome already. Just giving you some ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Congrats. That build is nearly identical to what I'd configure for myself.

Lucky's suggestion of a leather covered column is one you should definitely consider.

Also, while it isn't a HUGE difference in price, you can order the shift surround and storage lid from suncoast, a forum sponsor, for less than you pay for from porsche.

Congrats again and let me know when you want to sell it. :D

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
929 Posts
You will have a beautiful and fantastic car! Enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Tanajib,

Sounds like it will be a very nice car. Enjoy. I don't envy the wait time. I waited almost 3 months for my CS and it was brutal. Hope you can sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I toyed with NB until the last possible minute but ended up going with black full leather with my MGM. That said, I love your color combination. Lots of great examples to be found on the Net. The extra leather bits might make a difference as suggested by others but I thought the black headliner with black floor mats and other black interior bits would be fine with NB too. Your performance options are similar to mine but after originally placing order with PDK I switched to 6MT. Those paddles might have changed my decision. I'm happy with my new Cayman S but would be more than happy with yours as well. I passed the wait time on this site. Great resource for Cayman info, and seems like a nice group although I know nobody personally. I think I had memorized the 2007 owner's manual before my car got here. Enjoy the ride! Life is short!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Congrats! MY11 sounds impressive, even more so with paddle shifters. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Very nice specs. I had a 2011 slot for a base Cayman,but ended up switching it to a 2010 because I wanted bluetooth, universal audio interface and XM and was not sure if they were standard or not. Either way 2010 or 2011 it is going to be great. Enjoy your new car as well. Now comes the hard part THE WAIT.

Congrats maybe our cars will be on the same boat,

dave-t

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congratualtions, welcome to the club and porsche ownership. Sounds like a well optioned car and will be worth the wait. Plenty to read about here in the meantime.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing that someone pointed out to me with my cocoa and I did end up doing would also be smart to do with NB. Pay the extra to cover the steering column in your NB. If not it will be black and stand out like a sore thumb.
Lucky, thanks for the recommendation regarding the steering column - I agree that it does look better and I may look into that. I do not really mind the black headliner; I just wish that there were more black bits to offset it. I would have loved a two-tone NB and black leather interior (I have seen similar in some BMW and Audi cars) but you would end up spending a fortune specing it out that way piecemeal – e.g. upper dashboard, seat inlays, door trim, etc. in deviating color. I saw some photos of a car in the gallery section that was sand beige with black deviating carpet. I thought that looked pretty sharp – but you pay $710 to change the color of the carpet – ouch. BTW I have seen the pics of your Cocoa interior and it looks great with the Silver.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. This is a great forum and I will definitely check in here regularly to help pass the time before delivery and gain more knowledge about the Cayman. The WAIT will be long but well worth it. We will be returning to the States this summer after working overseas for many years. The Cayman S will be a great homecoming present! We will be moving back to Colorado and I can hardly wait to take the Cayman S into the Rocky Mountains.
:cheers:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Lucky, thanks for the recommendation regarding the steering column - I agree that it does look better and I may look into that. I do not really mind the black headliner; I just wish that there were more black bits to offset it. I would have loved a two-tone NB and black leather interior (I have seen similar in some BMW and Audi cars) but you would end up spending a fortune specing it out that way piecemeal – e.g. upper dashboard, seat inlays, door trim, etc. in deviating color. I saw some photos of a car in the gallery section that was sand beige with black deviating carpet. I thought that looked pretty sharp – but you pay $710 to change the color of the carpet – ouch. BTW I have seen the pics of your Cocoa interior and it looks great with the Silver.
Tanajib, My pleasure. I remember what it was like after placing my order. yes it can add up some serious $$ quickly when adding or changing our designs. I can remember when the Cayman was introduced and I thought what a great price for a Porsche. It still is when you consider the turbo, etc. I did end up adding some of those extra little things and with full leather by the time I was done I was a little over 80k. Again still a good deal for a Porsche but I think if I had kept going with the few things I left off I could easily have been at 85-90K My salesman was awesome and actually said there comes a time that you have to just stop... So I did. These cars are so much fun to drive that some of those extras just do not matter... Looking forward to seeing your car. Love your color choice.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Congrats. That is a nice build sheet. I also would pick many of those same options if given the chance to have one built.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts