Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to order a 718 Boxster GTS but would like to order in December for a April-June delivery.

Question 1: Does Porsche stop selling special models after a certain time? I'm assuming they do but guessing it's longer than 2 months.

Question 2: Were there allotment shortages on the 981 Boxster GTS? Do I need to lock in an order now or can I wait a couple months? If I have to wait an extra couple months I'm fine with that but don't want to miss getting a GTS due to foreseeable model changes or allotment shortages. I'd prefer not to put a deposit down too soon in case a used 981 S/GTS that has the options I'm looking for comes available as I'd prefer to save some money and buy a slightly used car. I'm not expecting one to come available as I'm very picky on options but don't want to be out a $5k deposit if one does come available.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I want to order a 718 Boxster GTS but would like to order in December for a April-June delivery.

Question 1: Does Porsche stop selling special models after a certain time? I'm assuming they do but guessing it's longer than 2 months.
I think how long they sell special models depends heavily on demand and how quickly they sell out. But, a 718 Boxster GTS isn't really a 'special' model so if that's what you're talking about, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Question 2: Were there allotment shortages on the 981 Boxster GTS? Do I need to lock in an order now or can I wait a couple months? If I have to wait an extra couple months I'm fine with that but don't want to miss getting a GTS due to foreseeable model changes or allotment shortages. I'd prefer not to put a deposit down too soon in case a used 981 S/GTS that has the options I'm looking for comes available as I'd prefer to save some money and buy a slightly used car. I'm not expecting one to come available as I'm very picky on options but don't want to be out a $5k deposit if one does come available.
It's going to depend heavily on your dealer and your location. It also doesn't hurt to shop around if you have multiple Porsche dealerships in your area.

You may have seen in my other thread that I put in an order for a 718 Cayman GTS this afternoon. I don't know if my situation is unique, but I didn't pay a single penny in down payment today. My sales manager just entered my desired configuration into the computer, printed out a confirmation, and handed it to me. Same thing happened 4 years ago when I ordered a 981CS. No money exchanged hands until I took delivery of the car.

Reactions: rdmustang

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think how long they sell special models depends heavily on demand and how quickly they sell out. But, a 718 Boxster GTS isn't really a 'special' model so if that's what you're talking about, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's going to depend heavily on your dealer and your location. It also doesn't hurt to shop around if you have multiple Porsche dealerships in your area.

You may have seen in my other thread that I put in an order for a 718 Cayman GTS this afternoon. I don't know if my situation is unique, but I didn't pay a single penny in down payment today. My sales manager just entered my desired configuration into the computer, printed out a confirmation, and handed it to me. Same thing happened 4 years ago when I ordered a 981CS. No money exchanged hands until I took delivery of the car.
Thanks for the info. I plan on shopping around but didn't think to negotiate the deposit. I've only seriously spoken to one dealer and they mentioned a $5k deposit. Knowing that no deposit is an option gives me some leverage. Did you get any kind of discount?

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Thanks for the info. I plan on shopping around but didn't think to negotiate the deposit. I've only seriously spoken to one dealer and they mentioned a $5k deposit. Knowing that no deposit is an option gives me some leverage. Did you get any kind of discount?
No, we didn't even discuss selling price/haggling today. 4 years ago, we didn't talk about trade-in values or discounts until day of delivery so I expect the same thing to happen next February. But then again, I've been a regular customer of my dealership for almost 10 years now so my experience may not be the same as everyone else's. Also, being in Los Angeles there are literally 4-5 dealerships within an hour of each other, so competition is high.

I think I got around a 4-5% discount last time, unfortunately I don't remember. I do recall getting 1% financing. 5% discount is pretty good for a custom ordered Porsche. If you can haggle 6-7%, you will have done very well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This may not be relevant since I ordered the base cayman and not the GTS, but porsche riverside offered me 7.5% off a custom order so definitely worth checking them out. Porsche Rusnak of Pasadena also told me this past Saturday they could easily do 8.5% off a custom order of a base cayman. Of course they mentioned this after I placed my order through Riverside. Ughhhh.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
This may not be relevant since I ordered the base cayman and not the GTS, but porsche riverside offered me 7.5% off a custom order so definitely worth checking them out. Porsche Rusnak of Pasadena also told me this past Saturday they could easily do 8.5% off a custom order of a base cayman. Of course they mentioned this after I placed my order through Riverside. Ughhhh.
Wow, 8.5% is a great deal.

For anyone in Southern California who's in the market for a new P-car, feel free to shoot me a message if you'd like a referral to Porsche South Bay in Manhattan Beach. Maybe we can all benefit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just FYI:

I got 8.2% off a base Cayman after a few minutes on the phone with a New Jersey dealer.

I ordered it with only one option (PDK). Deposit was $1000. I'll pick it up in late November.

I did tell him I was shopping around and had already talked to several other dealers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, 8.5% is a great deal.

For anyone in Southern California who's in the market for a new P-car, feel free to shoot me a message if you'd like a referral to Porsche South Bay in Manhattan Beach. Maybe we can all benefit.
I've seen multiple people refer me to their local dealer. If I buy out of state will they ship it to me and will there be a cost?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here is CA deposits may or may not be required. However, I was told by Circle Porsche that if you do not take position of the car the deposit is refundable. Also, I was told that all negotiations would take place at time of order not at time of pick up. PS, why can't you order now for a delivery at a fixed time out in the future?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is CA deposits may or may not be required. However, I was told by Circle Porsche that if you do not take position of the car the deposit is refundable. Also, I was told that all negotiations would take place at time of order not at time of pick up. PS, why can't you order now for a delivery at a fixed time out in the future?
I spoke to my local dealer today. They said the deposit is non-refundable unless there are issues preventing delivery.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
I spoke to my local dealer today. They said the deposit is non-refundable unless there are issues preventing delivery.
California has a "Car Buyer's Bill of Rights" law that stipulates that deposits put down on car orders are fully refundable. Obviously that's not the case in other states.

·
Registered
194 Posts
They want you committed to a sale as soon as you order it.

The non-refundable is not written in stone - it just depends on the dealership (and your order).
For example: a dealership may not think they can sell your car (you custom ordered pink PTS with blue interior) after you back out, and stipulates that they will refund the deposit after the vehicle sells.
OR
Sometimes if you're just polite and ask, they may refund it anyway out of good faith (keeping a good relationship could bring you back later, rather than essentially turning you away forever).
OR
If it gets really heated, if they didn't provide anything in writing stating the deposit was non-refundable, you could probably take them to court (or threaten it) over it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.