Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I expect as I am close to being ready to order a Cayman GTS?

1) Expected delivery about 4 months? Are there constraints where some dealers cannot order a new one?

2) Those who have ordered vs buying off the lot - what % under MSRP is reasonable? and are you discounting the total price (car+ options) or just the base car with options at full price? I am hoping to ask for -6%, happy with -5%, can live with -3-4% off of car+options price.

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
On a customer order, I had offers of 6% after a single email to some dealers in CA. It probably depends on the dealers in your area, but I think Florida is also very competitive in pricing.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ordered in Sep, arrived in Jan. Dealer must have a GTS allocation in the pipeline so you can specify the options you want. At the time I ordered, GTS were not being discounted much, if any. As this is the third new Porsche I have purchased new from the same dealer, was able to negotiate a price halfway between dealer cost and MSRP (with options), between a 5 - 6% discount. Now that the GT4 has been released, you should probably be able to get a similar discount. My previous two were purchased from inventory so was able to get a bigger discount, but ordering is the way to go ... get exactly what you want with no regrets.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Totally agree with John OKC... ordering is the way to go, you get EXACTLY what you want. Here is an example of how that played out for me. I had this notion of getting a fun color for a fun car-- Racing Yellow Cayman GTS. Then went through the configutor and made some specific selections... for example I didn't like the Alcantara steering wheel but did want the standard Alcantara interior, but didn't value the extra 4 grand for 18-way seats. During a visit to my dealer, he said, " Don.. we just got in a C GTS that is spec'ed almost the same as your order -- and you can have it now instead of waiting". It was stunning, BUT it was GT-Silver instead of Racing Yellow, it had the Alcantara steering wheel and the 18-way seats... otherwise, spot on -- while tempted to get the car "NOW" I knew it was't what I really wanted and I would have regretted it every time I got into the thing -- stunning, but didn't I really want another shade of grey??

That's my story... w/r to discounts, in northern calif and with my less than effective negotiation skills, I did not get 5 or 6% discount... and around here, the GT4's are surely spoken for.. and the only thing "available" will be GTS's... so I wonder if the dealers really would excessively discount. Cayman S's -- for sure, but not GTS's -- IMO.
Don

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Since I already had a 987.1, I had a good idea of what I wanted in the GTS. That meant a custom build to get what I wanted (Bose, Conv. Pkg, Auto dim, leather instead of alcantara, SD steering wheel) and not get PCM, PDK, multiway seats. I started looking end of August, I contacted the three dealers within 200 miles (none local). One had a GTS build for Jan. 16 delivery and offered 3500 off. I signed on that beginning of October, car was delivered early, I picked it up on Dec. 24th. Worked out to 4.5% of total cost (MRSP inc. options + destination fee). I also got a decent trade on my 987. Just before signing, the dealer sprung what I thought was a high doc/title fee of nearly $400, so I got them to agree in writing to install white LED sides.

The one option I was on the fence about was the LSD, I didn't get it, and given the slipping I'm getting despite snow tires, I am sorry I didn't. So if you are on the fence about a particular option, get it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
As mentioned, the amount of discount you get is highly dependent on your area, but one thing I wanted to point out is that options have a higher margin than the base price of the car. It's far more likely that you'd get a bigger discount off option prices rather than a smaller one.

That said... unless you go in with that scheme in the first place, it seems more likely that you'll just negotiate the discount on the entire package as you want it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ordered 10/31/14. Delivered 1/23/15. = 84 days, although it felt like a lot more! :sleep:

As stated, discounts will vary by region, availability of allocation and your negotiation skills. Also, with a car on the lot a dealer is generally more liberal with the discount. Keep in mind though, that those on the lot are usually loaded with options you may or may not want.

I was able to negotiate about 6% discount on the bottom line price after visiting three dealers. :banana:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Like many have said, it depends on the supply-demand situation in your area. I live in a small town with one small dealership that had no more GTS allocation. They were able to negotiate a trade with a dealer from another state. So no discount...current freeze date is March 12 with a projected delivery date sometime in June. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts