Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I went through this about 2 years ago and here we go again. Does any one out there have a rider on their car insurance that asures OEM parts will be used for repair in the event of an accident?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
In VA, by law you can specify the shop to do the work. So if you find a shop that will use OEM parts, you're all set. Not sure about anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
If your car is a weekend only car and not a daily driver, you can get insurance with one of the classic car insurance companies. You must have a daily driver as a second car to qualify. These companies are great about the correct parts and repairs. Unlike the normal insurance companies they truly understand the owners and respect the cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought an OEM policy with my well known nation- wide policy. I recently had $3000 of body work done due to a minor accident. I took it to dealer recommended body shop. I was told by the shop manager that there are no aftermarket body parts for Porsche. I had to have one wheel replaced which was a third of the total bill. I suppose they could have purchased a replica wheel. So not sure if I needed this rider?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
If your car is a weekend only car and not a daily driver, you can get insurance with one of the classic car insurance companies. You must have a daily driver as a second car to qualify. These companies are great about the correct parts and repairs. Unlike the normal insurance companies they truly understand the owners and respect the cars.
Suggestions? The ones I've contacted all had minimum age limitations or insane usage requirements.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
My State Farm policy has always paid for OEM parts, no rider required. I've used it for accidents caused by other drivers, when their policy ONLY paid for aftermarket 3rd party. Then let State Farm subrogate with the other driver's company. Even got my deductible back!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Hagerty and Grundy are two that come to mind. I have Hagerty on a number of my cars and have been very happy. My business partner has Grundy for a new car that is a weekend fun car. They classify new cars as exotic's. You won't get them to insure a KIA or Camry, however a Porsche should not be a problem. The CEO of Hagerty is a Porsche collector. If you Google "Classic Car Insurance" you should come up with 5 or 6 additional companies. This is better insurance than you get on ever day cars from the big name insurance companies.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Hagerty and Grundy are two that come to mind. I have Hagerty on a number of my cars and have been very happy. My business partner has Grundy for a new car that is a weekend fun car. They classify new cars as exotic's. You won't get them to insure a KIA or Camry, however a Porsche should not be a problem. The CEO of Hagerty is a Porsche collector. If you Google "Classic Car Insurance" you should come up with 5 or 6 additional companies. This is better insurance than you get on ever day cars from the big name insurance companies.
I tried both Haggerty and Grundy on a '91 944S2 a few years back. Both declined as it was less than 25 years old at the time. IIRC there were less than a thousand '91's imported. Maybe they've changed their policies.

Leland West would do it but the caveats on use were to the point of absurdity. Drive to work on a sunny Friday? Blasphemy.

I haven't tried with the CS. So far I'm with State Farm.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I tried both Haggerty and Grundy on a '91 944S2 a few years back. Both declined as it was less than 25 years old at the time. IIRC there were less than a thousand '91's imported. Maybe they've changed their policies.

Leland West would do it but the caveats on use were to the point of absurdity. Drive to work on a sunny Friday? Blasphemy.

I haven't tried with the CS. So far I'm with State Farm.
Greywolf,

I sent you a PM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts