range 3
98 775.2 h
range 4
22 775.2 h
range 5
1 105.3 h
range 6
-- --

I realize this isn't the greatest report but how bad is this? I really like this car and have already spent some money on it (delivery, new filters). I realize there are others out there, but is it really so bad? Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
You need to search for this topic. I don't recall what the levels are right off. There's a point where it would void the warranty if there's any left and there is a potential for damage if over-rev'd far enough.

Brad obviously types and searches faster.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Just that fact that it has any range 5 over revs recorded would be of concern to me,.... no matter how long it stayed there.

Being an '06 you might not have a lot of factory warranty left, so the dealer denying warranty coverage for any range 5 over revs may be a mute point.

Who did the PPI? I gather you are buying from an individual? How many miles?

You might want to ask you dealer about the whole thing, see what they say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am getting the car from carmax and got their warranty since the manufacturer's warranty ends in June 2010. The cayman s is an '06 with about 21k miles. I got the PPI at the local Porsche dealership and asked them if they would honor the warranty with my rev report. He seemed to indicate that Porsche would ultimately make the decision. But he hedged by saying it was a long time ago and the fact that there hasn't been a problem so far may indicate there wasn't any damage as a result if the over revs. Overall, I get the impression that it would all depend on their mood that day.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Personally I would walk away. When I bought my car I had a DME done and I would of walked if there were any range 4 and above. Fortunately my car came in ranges one and two. There are a lot of Caymans our there for sale.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
If this is an unmodified car, with no apparent issues and has the stuff you want I would not worry a bit about the report. It is fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where do you go for such a report and how much does it cost? My CS had almost 200 miles on it when the dealer claimed 18 miles. He also claimed that the car was never abused or driven over 4000 RPM. I'd like to verify that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Where do you go for such a report and how much does it cost? My CS had almost 200 miles on it when the dealer claimed 18 miles. He also claimed that the car was never abused or driven over 4000 RPM. I'd like to verify that.
Yeah.... and I'm Jack Frost. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a prepurchase inspection at ny local porsche dealership to find out about the over revs. I'm finding out that this car has a new exhaust, iPod adapter that I think is after market, and it may have the key remote mod. It's otherwise pretty fully loaded. I think I already like it too much to give it up!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I purchased my '09' CS PDK with 450 mi. on it. My guess is it saw the rev limiter more than once. I've run previous new Porsches both hard and by the book from delivery without any engine problems. Could be just dumb luck but I prefer to credit it to good engineering.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
You can have the DME done at a Porsche dealership. I paid about $150.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
If this is an unmodified car, with no apparent issues and has the stuff you want I would not worry a bit about the report. It is fine.
^^^ What he said ^^^

There have only been 98 ignitions in range 3. Which means it truly wasn't driven hard. The single ignition in range 5 is peculiar, but I don't think it's too much of a worry given how long ago it happened.

Enjoy it. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts