Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all 718 Caymans come with the overboost button or is it only available with sports chrono plus? How much horsepower does the overboost add?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do all 718 Caymans come with the overboost button or is it only available with sports chrono plus? How much horsepower does the overboost add?
Sport Chrono only (sport chrono adds the dial on the steering wheel) - the dial + sport plus mode + individual mode is what I wanted Sport Chrono for, the "sport response" function feels like a gimmick to me.

Sport gives a good kick in the lower RPMs, moreso with engine tuning than the turbo.
In Sport Plus, boost is much more prevalent, and then in the higher rpms is where it really shines (Sport Plus is meant as a "track" mode, and so in < 4k RPMs feels really wimpy)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
You also need a pdk. It's not available in a 6MT.

It's also not over-boost either. It does nothing to the boost of the turbos. It adds no HP.

FYI: It's a "sports response button"

·
Registered
41 Posts
In the dyno graph attached (Cobb Tuning's Baseline Dyno Run), the Red line represents the car in Normal mode. The Green line represents Sport Plus, and the Blue line represents the car being in Sport Plus with Sport Response activated.

Yes, the lines are not identical, but there is what... a difference of 1.83 peak horsepower... and 5.73 max torque...

There are many places where the care makes more hp and torque in normal mode...

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
The button on the manitino is not an over boost button. When you press that button the PDK will drop to the optimal gear, optimal revs and go to max available boost for 20 seconds. You can push this button as many times as you like.

Sport plus delivers a race gear change strategy, fully activates engine/gear box mounts, increases the speed of gear changes and dials back the PSM. In essence you get max HP under the curve at all times.

·
4,088 Posts
What?? That's completely false. You get the dial in a 6MT and PDK (and as a result, the button)Sport Chrono in 6MT vs PDK changes whether you get launch control or not (6MT gets rev-matched downshifts in Sport Plus mode)
Nope. You are the one who is mistaken. A manual transmission with the SC package will have the dial on the wheel but will NOT have the sport response button on the center of the dial. Go look at any dealership. I don't have to go far to look......it's in my garage. ;) What would you think that button would do in a manual transmission anyway? :)

Here is an excerpt from Porsche's web site that explains the three additional functions of the SC package in the 718 PROVIDED you have pdk:

Text Font Number

Admittedly Porsche does not provide the technical details of how the SRB functions. It only heightens the engine and transmission response similar to the Sport Plus mode. Somebody posted in another forum how it works and what it does. It was a really good write up but I can't find it right now. It does NOT increase turbo pressure. It keeps revs up so the turbo is always spooling. That may explain why only 20 seconds and not all the time...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nope. You are the one who is mistaken. A manual transmission with the SC package will have the dial on the wheel but will NOT have the sport response button on the center of the dial. Go look at any dealership. I don't have to go far to look......it's in my garage. ;) What would you think that button would do in a manual transmission anyway? :)

Here is an excerpt from Porsche's web site that explains the three additional functions of the SC package in the 718 PROVIDED you have pdk:

View attachment 171162

Admittedly Porsche does not provide the technical details of how the SRB functions. It only heightens the engine and transmission response similar to the Sport Plus mode. Somebody posted in another forum how it works and what it does. It was a really good write up but I can't find it right now. It does NOT increase turbo pressure. It keeps revs up so the turbo is always spooling. That may explain why only 20 seconds and not all the time...
Well... today I learned. Not sure why that's only PDK - I get the launch control but I don't get them holding back the SR button as well??:crazy:

·
4,088 Posts
Well... today I learned. Not sure why that's only PDK - I get the launch control but I don't get them holding back the SR button as well??:crazy:
If the button actually increased boost, then it would make sense to be on the manual transmission as well. However, increasing boost is not how the SRB works - it needs a pdk. The SRB is essentially priming the engine and transmission for maximum acceleration (i.e. response) by keeping revs up to and keeping the turbo spooling. You can't do this in a manual since the revs are controlled by a human and not a computer (i.e pdk)

·
Registered
268 Posts
As far as I know, at speed the turbo is kept spooling on all 718s to reduced (or eliminate) lag time.

According to Car and Driver--"To maintain responsiveness even when the driver lifts off the gas, Porsche briefly leaves the throttle open while retarding the timing, cutting fuel, and shutting the wastegate, essentially pumping air through to the turbo to keep it spinning; get back on the gas quickly, and the turbo’s already in play—no waiting for it to spool up."

·
Registered
464 Posts
I did the Porsche Experience Center - LA and used the sport response button in conjunction with launch control with a 911 HRS.

Exhilarating

·
4,088 Posts
As far as I know, at speed the turbo is kept spooling on all 718s to reduced (or eliminate) lag time.

According to Car and Driver--"To maintain responsiveness even when the driver lifts off the gas, Porsche briefly leaves the throttle open while retarding the timing, cutting fuel, and shutting the wastegate, essentially pumping air through to the turbo to keep it spinning; get back on the gas quickly, and the turbo’s already in play—no waiting for it to spool up."
Thanks. You nailed it. The bottom line is that there is no additional HP or Boost from the Sport Response Button.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Per Motor Trend:
"Remember the Sport Response button? It?s mounted smack in the middle of the drive mode selector dial. Here?s what it does. Push it, and Sport Plus is activated for 20 seconds. This means that the PDK drops to the lowest available gear, the engine revs climb, and turbo boost is maximized. Then you can blow around the Prius doing 56 mph the fast lane with ease. Hallelujah."

·
Registered
464 Posts
From R&T:
"Porsche's Sport Response button is another neat trick: While cruising in Drive mode, if you think you may need to make a quick maneuver, press the Sport Response button on the wheel, and the car drops a gear, goes into max performance throttle and PDK mode, and pre-spools the turbo for 20 seconds. This button is re-usable over and over again with no limit. "

·
Registered
464 Posts
Today I took a short road trip into the desert and it just so happens I have a tad over 2000 miles on my Cayman.

Time to put Sport+ to use.

Had a nice stretch of twisting roads along a mountainous route. Sublime road handling.

Then a long stretch of clear highway. Hit the Boost. Total elation.

I am going to be a bit demure in discussing the top speed I reached, but I hit it at lightning speed. Simultaneously effortless and invigorating.

The boost button is like afterburner. The additional costs of the sport chrono May have paid itself off in that glorious burst alone.

And never felt any sense that I may lose control or that I was pushing the car towards its limits. Closest I ever felt to having a super car.

Reactions: Jerry V

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sport Chrono only (sport chrono adds the dial on the steering wheel) - the dial + sport plus mode + individual mode is what I wanted Sport Chrono for, the "sport response" function feels like a gimmick to me.

Sport gives a good kick in the lower RPMs, moreso with engine tuning than the turbo.
In Sport Plus, boost is much more prevalent, and then in the higher rpms is where it really shines (Sport Plus is meant as a "track" mode, and so in < 4k RPMs feels really wimpy)
Thats funny i saw your statement. I jsut got a 718 gts. And i noticed that in sport i feel the torque early in the curve and in sport plus it actually felt slower . I thought what am i missing . As i am driving and switch to sport plus from sport all i see it down shifts couple gears and and dont feel the torque.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.