Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on the way to work today, high 70s in a lot of traffic. I had sport mode turned on but wasn't driving hard because of the traffic. Got a message on the MFD about engine temp. Closed out of the nav on the MFD and got back to the main screen where it showed an oil temp of 253. As soon as it got down below 250 the message went away. I was about 1.5 hours into a 2 hour commute.... :confused:.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If your coolant fluid level is OK then it sounds like the fluid isn't circulating well enough to keep the engine cool. You may have lost a coolant pump impeller blade or two, or the thermostat is shot. If it's the pump impeller then the small pieces could very well get lodged in the radiator/thermostat/small conduits of the system and cause a blockage. Could also be the electric fans mounted on the radiators, a long stop in traffic without the fans working could overheat the engine for sure! Do you remember hearing the fans running? If it happens again make sure you turn off the A/C, or you engine will run even hotter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's definitely not normal. I drove the car hard for 300 miles straight in the Texas hill country in 95 degree weather on Saturday and it stayed in the 220's. I think peak was 228.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Here in S. AZ my oil temps will get up to 220-228 and that is with 100 air temps not counting the heating from the asphalt and that is not in sports mode. When I select sports mode, my oil temps start coming down almost instantly and will stabilize at 200 or so. This with normal city driving. My coolant temp never budges from 200 in either mode.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
How are you guys/gals checking your oil temp? On my 986 there is a way to check it holding down two buttons on the temp control unit then scrolling through the codes until oil temp is reached but it isn't a process I'd want to try in traffic and I was told the readout was totally wrong.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Here in S. AZ my oil temps will get up to 220-228 and that is with 100 air temps not counting the heating from the asphalt and that is not in sports mode. When I select sports mode, my oil temps start coming down almost instantly and will stabilize at 200 or so. This with normal city driving. My coolant temp never budges from 200 in either mode.
Yeah, but that's "dry heat." Hardly counts at all.

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
192 Posts
How are you guys/gals checking your oil temp? On my 986 there is a way to check it holding down two buttons on the temp control unit then scrolling through the codes until oil temp is reached but it isn't a process I'd want to try in traffic and I was told the readout was totally wrong.
The 981 has the ability to display oil temp without any special procedures.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yeah, but that's "dry heat." Hardly counts at all.
Now if engines perspired like people and could tell the difference I would agree with you. :taunt:

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
So I was on the way to work today, high 70s in a lot of traffic. I had sport mode turned on but wasn't driving hard because of the traffic. Got a message on the MFD about engine temp. Closed out of the nav on the MFD and got back to the main screen where it showed an oil temp of 253. As soon as it got down below 250 the message went away. I was about 1.5 hours into a 2 hour commute.... :confused:.
What did you do to make the temp come down?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Road conditions? Stop and go traffic? Have you inspected your air intakes for a blockage? Did a plastic bag get pulled int an air intake?
Mostly highways and then some downtown DC streets. Roads were fine condition and traffic was stop and go most of the way.

What did you do to make the temp come down?
Took it out of sport and it went down in a couple minutes

Any solution(s), or finding(s) to the overheating issue?....
Wavent had time to look into yet, and haven't driven the car since.

Ive been swamped with other things between work and redoing a bathroom so I haven't had time to investigate. The temp was fine on the drive home...staying around 215-220. Hopefully this weekend ill have some time to wash it and inspect the intakes.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked out the intakes this weekend and they look clear. Havent had an issue since that day so ill keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I drove down to Carmel last weekend and air temps reached 104 in some of the inland areas around Morgan Hill/Gilroy. The oil temp stayed in the high 220's, peaking once at 230 before dropping back down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts