Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of reaction do you get from the public when your driving / parking your cayman?

previously i had a lotus elise S2 and everyone loved the thing. i'd get people taking photo's of it when it was parked up and if i stopped in glasgow waiting for my fiancee to finish work a lot of the time total strangers would come up and ask me about the car. even parking in govan (rough area of glasgow) i never had any trouble.

am i in for a different experience with the porsche? ie am i coming back one day to find someone's keyed the word "w4nker" into the bonnet? before i got the elise i was worried that it would get vandalised all the time and i guess i'm just having the same thoughts about my new car.

i have noticed a lot of people pointing and staring when natalie's driving it but then she's a gorgeous little 25 year old blonde so it could just be her and not the car that's getting the attention

anyway guy's let me know your cayman ownership experiences

ninja

·
Registered
204 Posts
Compliments from everyone.

I generally don't take my car anywhere that I'd be running the risk of vandalism and if I park in public I try to make sure it's in plain sight or a well lit area.

An elise is a bit of a white whale over here in the states, I think I've seen three in the wild and I travel all over. The Cayman is more common, but still not something you see every day. You will get looks.

I came up over a hill in the park the other day a girl stopped in her tracks on the side walk, watched me all the way down the street. Prolly should have stopped and went back :p

I'm sure there are haters out there, but the Cayman / Boxter is hardly a pretentious car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had 9 positive comments from strangers in the first 3 weeks of ownership of my CS so I would expect plenty of attention. In 2 years of ownership of my BMW I have had ZERO comments from strangers so I was a little surprised by the reaction to the Porsche.
The Cayman must feel like a luxury comfort machine compared to the Elise. A friend's brother has one. After a 10 minte ride in it I decided that it wasn't exactly daily driver material. Hitting my head as I slithered into the passenger seat didn't help my opinion of it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think people in the UK will/do resent owners of nice cars, I have had several people I know, some friends, say how nice it is, followed by a joke about keying or scratching it, to be honest it's getting boring now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had 9 positive comments from strangers in the first 3 weeks of ownership of my CS so I would expect plenty of attention. In 2 years of ownership of my BMW I have had ZERO comments from strangers so I was a little surprised by the reaction to the Porsche.
The Cayman must feel like a luxury comfort machine compared to the Elise. A friend's brother has one. After a 10 minte ride in it I decided that it wasn't exactly daily driver material. Hitting my head as I slithered into the passenger seat didn't help my opinion of it!
i'm baffled by the number of buttons in the cayman. the elise had 5

1- make fan go faster
2- make air hotter
3- turn on dipped light
4- turn on main beam
5- hazard warning lights

lol, the cayman is a totally different world, it's just SOOOOOO comfortable

ninja

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think people in the UK will/do resent owners of nice cars, I have had several people I know, some friends, say how nice it is, followed by a joke about keying or scratching it, to be honest it's getting boring now.
yeah this is what i'm worried about. no one did that with the elise possibly because it's made in britain

ninja

·
Registered
206 Posts
Some people stare or take a glance but I guess it really depends on where you go with it.

In London there's no shortage of Porsches so it doesn't register as much compared to the exotics. Positive attention usually comes from other petrolheads, tourists and kids. I once left my CS infront of a B&B and on my return found someone taking a picture with it (presumably a guest of the B&B).

Vandalism is cruel. I just try to be streetwise and park it in sensible places (touching wood:eek:). I agree with an earlier comment that there are people in the UK who resent nice cars :(. That said, I am hoping (both fingers crossed) that the general public view Cayman owners as people who enjoy and appreciate the thrill of driving (within law of course ;)) rather than being consumed more on looks and showing their affluence...

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Maybe I just don't care to look around, but I haven't noticed that many extra glances lately. I was in my Jeep at a stoplight the other day and saw a Father and Son in a cherry old Camaro who were checking out a white CS pretty hard, though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In a month of ownership I've experienced more stares, pointing, "Nice car," comments and picture taking then three years with my S2000--or ever in one of my five M-B's. I've never known anyone to have taken a picture of any car I've owned, but have had at least two photos taken of my car so far. I think the Cayman is a rarely seen car that's obviously a Porsche but most don't seem to be aware of the Cayman in the Porsche lineup. I have a friend with a Ferrari and he can't drive a block without some kind of reaction from others, so compared to his--not so much.
BW

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well I have had one bad experience so far. I was out at a night club watching a band play and came outside later to find my front right tire slashed. I'd had the car about a month when that happened. Nothing bad since then, just a bunch of "nice car" comments and gawkers. Of course, I never go to that night club anymore either.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
It could be Pilot Sport Suicidal Tendency. Two of my tires have jumped on nails for no apparent reason that I can figure. They seem to get tired of the daily stress of gripping and turning, and then slash, poke, cut, they just decide life's no fun any longer.

Ain't no way it's the bar crowd. :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I get lots of compliments but once in a while someone is a **** in traffic or something like that, despite the fact that I am especially careful to (usually) drive courteously.

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
i have noticed a lot of people pointing and staring when natalie's driving it but then she's a gorgeous little 25 year old blonde so it could just be her and not the car that's getting the attention
Hmm... take some pics of her driving (or at least in the driver seat) for the 2010 Calender. Nothing sexier than a hot girl driving a sports car. :cheers: :picsplz:

As far as ownership experience... In LA, there are so many Porsche's around that we are generally ignored. We are just more traffic around here. I am careful to park a door swing distance from other cars, and then don't worry about it. Life is too short to stress out too much about these things. If something happens, no amount of prior stressing would have prevented it. :crazy:

However... since I fitted my new exhaust, I have been getting at least 2-3 compliments on my car a day. People are literally slowing down and winding down their windows on the other side of the road to shout their approval. :banana:

·
Registered
249 Posts
After owning several BMW's (328's, Z3, Z4) I see the reaction being much stronger to the Cayman as an exotic. Maybe not as much as a Ferrari or Lambo but it definitely receives an exotic car response. The first week I had it a very young child at the shopping center was pointing at my yellow Cayman and pulling on his mother as I drove by.

·
Registered
519 Posts
After owning several BMW's (328's, Z3, Z4) I see the reaction being much stronger to the Cayman as an exotic. Maybe not as much as a Ferrari or Lambo but it definitely receives an exotic car response. The first week I had it a very young child at the shopping center was pointing at my yellow Cayman and pulling on his mother as I drove by.
In my locale, my Porsches and M3s have gone largely ignored. Surprisingly, my Z4 with its very controversial styling got thumbs up and positive comments everywhere. That's just fine with me, but go figure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
At DE events, I always get questions about how I like my car. Although one guy asking about it followed up with "You will be able to afford a Carrera someday." I could only think about what an arrogant jerk he was while passing him on the track. I will never own a Carrera. It just isn't the superior platform. All the Cayman drivers I have met have been straight forward and down to earth. I have met too many Carrera owners who think if you drive anything else, it isn't a real Porsche. It is really quite sad for them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get lots of people who come up and ask me questions about the car. They seem to love it almost as much as I do. I don't think the undertaker will be able to take the smile off of my face.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This evening, while at a gas station in a lower end part of town I had two people approach me. The first was a middle aged black woman driving a minivan. She looked at the car from the side and asked me what it was, then told me how beautiful it was. Obviously a woman with exceptionally refined taste in automobiles,even if she didn't know what it was she knew true beauty when she saw it. The second was a middle aged white woman who asked me if I was worried having a car like that in "this part of town." I am going to assume from her comment that she thought it was a nice car too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Caymans seem to make people smile.

Plus, Porsche seems to regularly win or near-win those JD Power "Appeal" surveys, as well as their initial build quality surveys, so I think there's a broad segment of the public to whom Porsche's appeal, sort of as an "approachable" exotic, if that makes any sense. Better to dream about a $70k Porsche that one might be able to own someday than a $300k Ferrari or Lambo, know what I mean?

That being said, I think the longstanding and now-classic "friendly face" of the Cayman/911 front-end disarms people a lot more than many trendier designs, so they're more apt to smile at you than to get dumb.

That's been my experience, anyway. I hope it remains thus.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts