Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to sort out a next step here and was hoping for advice. I have a 987 Cayman S ('07) that recently has started popping codes/check engine. The car has a Borla Exhaust, I am assuming the Cat back, it was there when I bought it.

I have had the 02 sensors gapped and it went away for a while. Came back up about a year later. Changed and gapped the sensors and it went away for a few months but now it is popping up again. If I need a new catalytic converter, that's fine but if the after-market exhaust is the problem, was hoping for some help there.

Anyone else have this issue and fix it?

· Registered
2006 Cayman S
178 Posts
I had this problem from getting a tank of gas at a different gas station than I was used to. In fact it was a non-ethanol 93 octane gas pump. I filled up at my usual place with 10% ethanol and the codes went away.

These cars are extremely sensitive and intermittent codes should be heartily ignored in my opinion.

The O2 sensors are like the electronic dip stick.

More of a suggestion that needs multiple confirmations rather than a fact.

Plant Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

· Administrator
2,235 Posts
I have had the 02 sensors gapped and it went away for a while. Came back up about a year later. Changed and gapped the sensors and it went away for a few months but now it is popping up again.
What s gapping an O2 sensor? And how is it done?

427 Posts

· Administrator
2,235 Posts
I believe the meaning is to use a spacer on the O2 sensor. This spaces it out of the direct exhaust stream, and can sometimes help eliminate codes. You can find them on Ebay and other sites. I actually found one that also includes a miniature "cat" in the fitting: Car Engine Light O2 Oxygen Sensor Spacer Adapter Bung Built-In M18X1.5 Catalyt 4282329172231 | eBay
Actually used one of these about 25 years ago on an '87 BMW 535i.. that ran lean. Added the spacer and it moved the O2 sensor out of the direct stream and it ran a bit better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts