Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BigGuy sent me a link to good driving roads around the U.S.

One of the roads mentioned was State Rt. 125 in Lancaster, PA.

State Route 125, Pennsylvania

Can anyone comment on whether or not it's worth making a trip out of?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't been on that specific road, but tooled around on some others since we have a facility down there so I have to visit once in a while. The mobile tax collectors are pretty fierce down there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Pete,

Not sure about that road...but have beed told by a reliable source that the other PA route metioned from Ligonier to Fallingwater (711 / 381) is pretty nice and exciting. My better half grew up in that area. :)

Already planning the next trip? ;)

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I can't stop thinking about future trips. The Dragon and the area roads will be hard to beat.

Hey Pete,

Not sure about that road...but have beed told by a reliable source that the other PA route metioned from Ligonier to Fallingwater (711 / 381) is pretty nice and exciting. My better half grew up in that area. :)

Already planning the next trip? ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pete,

I'll tell you what, I'm originally from Lebanon, PA (20 minutes south of Pine Grove / Ravine). I'm prolly gonna be back in that area closer to the 4th of July. I'll make a run up there, post some pics, maybe even a video.

I gotta admit though, I'd be hesitant of traveling long distances to get to any driving road in central PA. The quality of the blacktop around there is mostly S#!%, speed limits are usually low and cops have nothing better to do.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the offer pointnumber1.

Those "best driving roads" websites have piqued my interest in some of the roads described. But there is nothing like first hand reports from the members here to prove/disprove the stories. :thanks:

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are some interesting roads in Bucks county along and off River Rd in the towns around the Delaware river. I had an awesome ride that was completely unplanned and provided by my GPS, if I was actually in a rush it would be a stupid route, but for driving the pcar it was awesome. Not sure where in NY you are, but that would be closer for you and they were really back roads with no cops and surprisingly good road conditions.

I have to get on google maps and lay it out for my motorcycle buddies and when I do I'll share it here too.... just need to get some time

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pete I know and have ridden on my bike on 125 many time. It goes up and down two different ridges, some very steep areas some very tight corners. Be cautious of the one behind the barn, if you drive it you will remember this comment. While in the area look up 339 that runs to rt, 80...a fantastic road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Pete I have been riding bikes for 35 years here in PA I can give advise on tons of roads. Some of my favorite areas are in the Parks North of State College, Rts 44 / 144 do a big loop no cops beautiful views, etc. Look up Galeton on Rt 6 by Potter County 144 / 44 run south...Giddie up :)

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Two friends have ridden that road many times on their bikes and they like it. Their comment: "it's fun". They are both good, and well traveled riders. I've ridden off-road in that area a fair bit and would be interested in seeing it from the vantage of the CS on blacktop for a change. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey Pete, I have been out to lancaster PA on many meetings and what i did realize was that the roads out there are "pretty darn good". Alot of country road and turns, just have to find the open, traffic free route and it can be a lotta fun. From my experience its quiet up there and great driving roads! Hope that helps!

·
Registered
346 Posts
hey Pete, I have been out to lancaster PA on many meetings and what i did realize was that the roads out there are "pretty darn good". Alot of country road and turns, just have to find the open, traffic free route and it can be a lotta fun. From my experience its quiet up there and great driving roads! Hope that helps!
With Lancaster County being Amish country, some of the biggest road hazards there are the ones left by the "one horsepower" conveyances! All seriousness aside, I do remember some nice drives!

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I'm going to try and tackle this road this sunday with the wife....we haven't been out on a drive in a long time....should be a nice day.

I'll let you know the details...maybe try to snap a few pictures with the old iphone

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks saucerman, looking forward to the report.

·
789 Posts
Let me first say if you are in a manual transmission....you are going to get a nice workout in 2nd and 3rd gears.

So Sunday late morning my wife and I headed out for a drive. To actually get to the beginning of Route 125 it took about an hour and ten minutes from the Valley Forge/King of Prussia area. I went Route 422 to 183, took 78 West and got off at 501 North. In Pine Grove things get tricky if you don't keep an eye out...501 ends at 895, from there you take 443 then 125.

As you exit Pine Grove you will come to a rather long straight-away....pretty bumpy and badly paved but the reason they don't maintain it is probably due to the fact it's a drag race strip for sure.

Once you have passed the long straight-away you'll make a right and the fun sort of begins. You'll hit a few twist and turns ups and downs then you'll come into Tremont. Here you'll snake through a sleepy little town but once out...the real fun begins...and to my surprise the road is rather nicely paved from here on out.

Now my only problem was coming close to route 25 when a Ford 250 pickup truck decided to pull right out in front of me without even looking. I would have definitely kicked in the ABS if the left-hand lane wasn't cleared. As I was passing the, lets say ******* for lack of a better term, decide to race and try and not let me pass. I down-shifted into 2nd and that was the end of that.

Aside from that, people were rather nice with other pickups, etc, pulling over to the side as I was following them up a hill...a slight toot of my horn and I got smiles and waves.

Plus there are not many stop signs....maybe four or five at the most after Tremont

It really is a fun road....unless it rains...which I experienced as well. Just as I was coming into Shamokin the skies opened...so much so I could have sworn I saw someone building an ark. I turned around and almost got sideswiped in the midst of my turn for a vehicle without lights seemingly came out of nowhere - visibility was really bad...I should have pulled over a waited out the storm but on with the show. It took nearly double the time to get back to the beginning of route 125 for the twist and turns, climbs, and descents are not as intriguing when you cannot see but 150 feet ahead of you....on top of the rain...fog quickly rolled in through the many valleys we encountered.

I'd say from upon exiting Tremont to where it started to rain, about 2 miles before Shamokin it took roughly 25 to 30 minutes and I wasn't going fast at all, just enjoying all the twisties and the views.

I'd do it again but this time I'd keep an eye on the weather.

Here are a few pictures along the way.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for the detailed report saucerman. It looks a lot like some of the roads we saw down in North Carolina, only wider.

Do you think it's worth planning a get together sometime in August on do this road? Maybe you have better suggestions for routes that we can take a group of 8-12 cars on?

·
789 Posts
Yeah, I think it would be worth while....I mean I can always find good twisties around my area but not for this prolong of a period...we could also add the Gold Mine Road (which I have not been on) for another added 7 miles. Places to eat for lunch are scarce but I'm sure we could find something nice and homey. I guess most people would just come down 78 and we could meet at the junction of 78 and 501 - as I recall this is a nice parking lot right off of that ramp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts