Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the car washed this morning, as prep for my trip to LA next week. And it was sunny out...
These were all taken along Ocean View Blvd in PG; which runs along Monterey Bay on the east side of the Monterey Peninsula. The Seven Gables and Green Gables are B&B Inns. The Beach House is a very good restaurant at Lover's Point; which is a promontory that juts out into the bay.

I had another "paparazzi" episode. While I was taking a shot, a guy pulled over near me. When I got done shooting, he got out, walked toward me with a big camera, and asked if he could take some shots of Superman. Turned out that he was a big-time Porsche aficionado from Page, AZ , who has owned a couple dozen Porsches. His favorites were the 928 & 944.

He preferred the Cayman to the 911; which he thought was too "big" - the Cayman was the perfect size for him. He flipped over the Superman color combo, especially the Aqua Blue; which he liked better than the lighter Sapphire. We talked for at least half an hour; or I should say I listened to him that long. Lots of stories. He'd been to Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville several times. At a PCA Parade many years ago, he met Ferry Porsche and had his pic taken with him. And he was at Rennsport last Sept. His next project is to have Martini stripes painted on his white Cayman. He was a real lively guy - what a gas!!

q Cayman Beach House 1851.jpg q Cayman Seven Gables 1847.jpg q Green Gables 1829.jpg q North Ocean View 1876.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Its like the PCA catch phrase.. "Its the PEOPLE"... but nice to have a great looking car with a photogenic backdrop... nice..
D

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I lived right near both of these pics that you showed in Pacific Grove while I was in graduate school! I lived off of Asilomar Ave just north of 17 mile drive. Gorgeous area. I want to go back....except for the taxes. yuk

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Brought back memories of being at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey in 1966-1967 in the Air Force. Took many a drive on that route on our 1964 Matchless 750cc bike. Is the sign about migrating Monarch butterflies still there?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Brought back memories of being at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey in 1966-1967 in the Air Force. Took many a drive on that route on our 1964 Matchless 750cc bike. Is the sign about migrating Monarch butterflies still there?
The PG Monarch butterfly sanctuary is plot of city-owned land that is along Ridge Street; which is off Lighthouse one block west of 17 Mile Drive. They spend the winter in PG. We're close to the sanctuary, and last year, we had Monarchs in our yard on a regular basis. This season has been quite a bit cooler than last, and I haven't seen any in our yard. My wife has done a lot of reading about them - she said they're at the sanctuary, but it's too cold for them to fly.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If I could live anywhere, might well be where you guys are.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It stopped raining today; so I took the car down to Big Sur. They got 3 inches of rain yesterday; so some roads were still wet. And there were quite a few CHP out on Hwy 1; three were on motorcycles. I can't remember ever seeing a CHP on that stretch of Hwy 1 before.

At Bixby Bridge, a guy had one of the those remote control helicopter thingies that have multiple rotors. He had a GoPro attached to it. He had pretty amazing control - it could stop on a dime, it would hover just about anywhere he wanted it to (just like a hummingbird), it would rotate without moving in any other direction. Looked like his controller had a LCD; which was probably showing the image seen by the GoPro. I'm sure he got some phenomenal video of the bridge.

tt Cayman Big Sur Hills 1894.jpg tt Big Sur General Store 1896.jpg tt Big Sur River Inn 1904.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
I tried to get the Army to station me at Presidio. They wound't do it. :(

I love the name "Superman" for your car!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I tried to get the Army to station me at Presidio. They wound't do it. :(

I love the name "Superman" for your car!
Quite frankly, most PG residents would be probably be glad to see the Presidio shut down and the property sold to the public; as it creates a huge impediment to local traffic. PG is at the northern tip of the peninsula, and the Presidio is btwn PG and Monterey at the south end. Because the Presidio bisects the entire peninsula from east to west, and is closed to public traffic, there are only TWO streets (Lighthouse to Monterey on the east side and Holman Hwy to Carmel on the west side) by which traffic can exit/enter PG. And those streets are a nightmare on weekday afternoons, when all the people who work in PG are leaving the peninsula to go home.

I didn't come up with the "Superman" tag. Over at rennlist a couple years ago, there was a guy (Eduardo?) who had a 981B Spyder in the same color combo, and the rennlist crowd named it the "Superman" combo for self-evident reasons.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
One of the many real positives about living in PG is that most everything one needs to live is within walking or bicycling distance and there is a great paved walking and cycling trail that takes off from Lovers Point and goes all the way to Watsonville. I rarely drive my Box anymore because groceries, entertainment, restaurants, hardware, cleaners, bike shop and etc. are all in a four square block area. I use the bike trail to hit the big box stores in Sand City and with two saddle bags and a front basket can bring back most anything. I enjoy bicycling or walking by all the tourist cars slowly moving along Central and Lighthouse and am usually home with a glass of wine in hand when they finally get here.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's supposed to start raining again tomorrow. And today was forecast with high around 65; which is the warmest we've had in the last couple months. It's mostly been in the upper 50s. Which is why I haven't taken the bike out since November. Today, it went out. I did one of my more oft taken routes; CVR east to Laureles Grade, north to 68, east to River Rd just west of Salinas, south to Soledad, where I picked up 101 back north. Gawwd, it was nice to be back in the saddle again. I followed X73's recommendation, and pumped the tires up to only 40.5 (the sticker calls for 42 in each). The bike rode & handled fine that way. I stopped for lunch in Soledad; which is a farm town home to the field workers. I ate at a deli in a "hole in the wall" grocery with food supplies imported from Mexico. I had tacos and a bottle of Mexi soda "Jarritos" in Mango flavor. Great tacos in soft tortillas and the soda was one of the best I've had in a while. Attached are shots of my bike in front of murals in the town.

Considering that I was sicker than a dog with the flu last Sunday (which cancelled my drive down to LA), it feels nice to be healthy again. The Jan 4 issue of Autoweek has an article with photos on the re-opening of the remodeled Petersen Auto Museum; which is the main reason for my trip. I'll probably do it in Feb.

uu Soledad Mural Famous Folks 31710.jpg uu Soledad Mural Harvest 32158 copy.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts