Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the new steering wheel installed in my 09 C2S Cab. I took some photos to add to this posting. First, the aluminum trim on the wheel is metal rather than painted plastic. The wheel has a much better look and feel than the standard steering wheel w/ the volcano grey plastic. The paddles themselves are substantial and fall readily to hand. Despite the comparisons to the Ford Mustang wheel (with which I agree), the esthetics of the wheel are IMHO superior to the standard. The small lighting features for Sport and Sport Plus could not be enabled by my dealer (Braman) despite considerable effort. It is not an issue for me, but according to Braman folks it is a software not a hardware issue. The paddles work extremely well and, at least for me, are much easier to use than the buttons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats, looks great and the old shift buttons are confusing and cheap painted plastic as well.

I just started to wonder that if you have Carrera S-model, how are your dials black and not white?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I too have a 997.2 S with PDK and was looking into this... I have the carbon fiber wheel trim with the multi function buttons and heated steering wheel... not sure if all that would come on the new wheel with paddles?

How much did it cost?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The black dials are a no-cost option on the C2S and C4S. For some reason you cannot specify black dials for the Turbo models. I preferred the black dials to the aluminum version that is standard on the S. I purchased the wheel through the dealer because I wasn't sure there might be software issues that my local independent shop couldn't handle. The price of the wheel from Suncoast (just under $1K) is much better than what I paid even after the 20% Porsche winter parts discount ($1500).

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Less than an hour to put the wheel on but they worked on the software issue for a while, didn't charge me though. The labor charge was $50.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is a way to change out my 08' cs without pdk, steering wheel that is tiptronic. I really wouldn't mind having a paddle wheel.
According to Suncoast, the wheel will work with Tiptronic, but requires some PIWIS reprogramming to make it work.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
congrats! its a major improvement to the stock wheel. Be interesting to see whether Porsche will now make this an option seeing it can be bought as a spare part.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks alot for the reply. When I went to the website there were two wheels that could replace the 08'cs. But I'm a little wierry about this software thing. Although, I guess when your in the canyon's of Southern Cal at 2:00am 0n a weekday, it might help that wierry!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just had the new steering wheel installed in my 09 C2S Cab. I took some photos to add to this posting. First, the aluminum trim on the wheel is metal rather than painted plastic. The wheel has a much better look and feel than the standard steering wheel w/ the volcano grey plastic. The paddles themselves are substantial and fall readily to hand. Despite the comparisons to the Ford Mustang wheel (with which I agree), the esthetics of the wheel are IMHO superior to the standard. The small lighting features for Sport and Sport Plus could not be enabled by my dealer (Braman) despite considerable effort. It is not an issue for me, but according to Braman folks it is a software not a hardware issue. The paddles work extremely well and, at least for me, are much easier to use than the buttons.
Nice! Looks great! Saw one on a 2010 Turbo at my dealership. Wanted it so bad!
Would love to replace mine but would hate to lose my multifunction buttons.
That's my dilema...I have multifxn too and don't want to loose the fxn for paddles but wouldn't mind them either. Am thinking the Champion wheel as a work around but dayum if the price doesn't make you go ughhh! :(

·
Aqua Blue Metallic Mafia OG
569 Posts
PDK Paddle Shifter Steering Wheel part numbers:

997.044.402.16 FFF (2009 model without display)

997.044.402.17 FFF (2010 model with display)

Color code can be found in the Porsche Parts Catalog (PET)

The 2010 wheel with display can possibly be retrofitted onto 2009 but a $200 control unit must also be changed. The part number for this unit is:

This information should help your dealer find the right parts for the conversion. This is the best info available to me. PLEASE CONFIRM with your dealer.

Porsche Installation and Conversion Instructions:
911 (997)
40/09 ENU 4810 4
Dated Mar 2, 2010

·
Aqua Blue Metallic Mafia OG
569 Posts
The black dials are a no-cost option on the C2S and C4S. For some reason you cannot specify black dials for the Turbo models. I preferred the black dials to the aluminum version that is standard on the S. I purchased the wheel through the dealer because I wasn't sure there might be software issues that my local independent shop couldn't handle. The price of the wheel from Suncoast (just under $1K) is much better than what I paid even after the 20% Porsche winter parts discount ($1500).
Ouch, you did get stung by the dealer. Apparently there are two catalogs, PET and Tequipment. They list different prices. Make sure your dealer orders from the Tequipment catalog where the price is considerably less. When my dealer found it listed in the Tequipment catalog they were able to match the Suncoast price :) The price in the PET catalog is something close to $1750 :eek:

Finally made the upgrade :)

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Cool. I am just concerned about have so many stalks and paddles behind the wheel that it may get crowded back there. I still hit the wrong stalk sometimes.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
DaveC looks great. I test drove a '10 C4S with the buttons and hated it. I'd definitely go paddles. I found myself accidentally hitting the buttons with my palms when I turned the wheel.

Question, I love the font on your gauges, was that done intentionally when you opted for the black gauges or is that just how they're doing them now?

Also, what option is it to get that stitching along the dash?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The dash stitching is standard w/ the full leather package. The font on the gauges is the standard "911" font regardless of dial color. The paddles are a big improvement over the buttons. I think Porsche went w/ the buttons to be different or to show continuity w/ the Tiptronic, but it was clearly more marketing than engineering. I have no problems w/ the paddles moving w/ the steering wheel, although it's not the "Ferrari way". ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts