Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up my Cayman a few weeks ago from a Toyota dealership in MD, it was the owners car. I washed the car tonight to get the salt off from what is left on the roads and noticed some pretty bad paint damage on the rear wheel well going onto the back bumper. I am guessing this is a spot people put clear bras, I dont know if this damage was partially there or if I have done in the handful of times I have driven the car. I dont really remember seeing it when I bought the car but its pretty low on the rear bumper. What are my options for getting this repaired and maybe putting a clear bra on this area? Is there a rubber bumper like some cars have, kinda like a partial mud flap you can use here?
20150302_191439.jpg 20150302_191429.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is this road spray that could be removed from the paint or are these actually paint chips?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi

Your photos look as though much of the marks are salt spray/road debris?
I noticed small chips to this area soon after purchasing my car as a result of grit thrown up by the tyres, though my damage is less noticeable as it is lower down, almost underneath the side of the rear bumper. I purchased some 3M clear-bra sheets from e-bay, made a paper template and cut a size I was happy with and stuck it on the car.
I would probably suggest a detailer to polish up the area as best as possible and then do something similar? Failing that it's a whole bumper re-spray:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea with the sheets, I think I may try buffing and touch up paint since it's so low.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
on a previous ride, i put xpel on the 1 inch flatspot right next to the wheels on the bumper/wheel arch - following existing bodylines to make it less noticable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any pictures of how you put up the clear bra on the back of the wheel well. I am trying to figure out what size I would need. They sell a 12 x 24 sheet on ebay for about 15 bucks , figure that would give me plenty to cut to size.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
clear bra materials is not that easy as you think to put on that spot..

have a pro put it on.. it will cost you more than 2 , 12 by 24 sheets.. if you have not done it before..

Lemon

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any pictures of how you put up the clear bra on the back of the wheel well. I am trying to figure out what size I would need. They sell a 12 x 24 sheet on ebay for about 15 bucks , figure that would give me plenty to cut to size.
As you can see, I went for a small area following the lines under the rear arch. Made a paper template, which you can obviously reverse for the other side and then just cut each piece from a single small sheet. I elected to round the corners off a little to aid adhesion. You work with the plastic wet then use a credit card to squeeze out the water. A hairdryer helped bond it into place! Most difficult part was working out the sheeting, it obviously has a sticky and non-sticky side and mine came with removable plastic coverings on both sides so got a little confusing! However, fairly easy really, protects the worst area and nearly invisible! Your damage looks a little higher so I guess you my have to follow the natural curve up around the arch a little higher? Worth a try for DIY!!?:)

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you're in the NOVA area, I can recommend a good detailer and he uses a pro for clear bra protection. I took my car to his guy and had the bra put on while I waited. PM me if you're interested.

I picked up my Cayman a few weeks ago from a Toyota dealership in MD, it was the owners car. I washed the car tonight to get the salt off from what is left on the roads and noticed some pretty bad paint damage on the rear wheel well going onto the back bumper. I am guessing this is a spot people put clear bras, I dont know if this damage was partially there or if I have done in the handful of times I have driven the car. I dont really remember seeing it when I bought the car but its pretty low on the rear bumper. What are my options for getting this repaired and maybe putting a clear bra on this area? Is there a rubber bumper like some cars have, kinda like a partial mud flap you can use here?
View attachment 56509 View attachment 56510

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am actually in Richmond, I found a couple installers down here that I may try if my little DIY project doesnt work :O

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
here's another shot - not a porsche but with xpel film applied professionally.
masked off area shows the film protected area (coating was applied to rest of car hence hazy appearance during curing process)

Img_6977.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Grendelrt, I have a GREAT installer here in Richmond. PM if your interested in getting more information.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts