Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm buying a used car and thought it may be a good idea to use a paint meter to check the panels. I don't own one, so I looked around and found this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC7XK76/

Would anyone have any comments on that paint meter? I guess the main thing I would focus on is to detect if one or more panels have significantly different pain thickness than the rest (so hopefully the low quality paint meter is consistent enough for that).

Also, the front bumper and hood are covered in 3M clear paint protection film - I guess this should show up as a higher thickness in the readings?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The more expensive units measure in microns, which will give you a higher degree of detail. Also non-metal surfaces cannot be measured (i.e. bumpers).

·
Registered
832 Posts
Keep in mind that a paint meter is not the tell all. i.e. new cars can, and are, resprayed up to a certain percentage of total area if they are damaged in transport from the factory to the dealer. I've "heard" numbers of 10%. So anyway also check with Auto Check and Carfax for accident reports. You might be better of paying for a PPI. They should have a paint meter and be astute in looking for tell tail signs of a respray. Good Luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The more expensive units measure in microns, which will give you a higher degree of detail. Also non-metal surfaces cannot be measured (i.e. bumpers).
Thanks for the info. I'll try one of the cheap ones and see if I can get consistent relative results and won't focus on the absolute accuracy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind that a paint meter is not the tell all. i.e. new cars can, and are, resprayed up to a certain percentage of total area if they are damaged in transport from the factory to the dealer. I've "heard" numbers of 10%. So anyway also check with Auto Check and Carfax for accident reports. You might be better of paying for a PPI. They should have a paint meter and be astute in looking for tell tail signs of a respray. Good Luck!
Good point. I'll give it a try and see what it reveals. Carfax was mostly empty, PPI mechanic didn't have paint meter, so I'll just do this as a final safety check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts