Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to purchase a 2018 Cayman and need some advice on the wheels. While I like the 20" Carrera Classic and Carrera S (Platinum Satin) wheels, I also like the 19" Cayman S wheels on my 2014 981. One of the dealers I am negotiating with offered to paint the Cayman S wheels in Porsche Platinum Satin.

Have those of you who have had your wheels painted gone with paint or powder coating and why did you select one over the other? Also, what was the approximate cost to do so? Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: Paint or Power Coat Wheels?

I LOVE the looks of 20" Carrera wheels in satin black but I wanted a bit more sidewall and LIKE the looks of the Carrera S wheels.

My dealer provided me with the option to have the Carrera S wheels painted satin black with a local shop they use for bodywork, etc... Heck, they told me a guy used this same shop to have the wheels painted on his $1 Million LaFerrari. So, they trust this shop!

I asked them about powder coat vs. paint and looked over internet forums about the two options.

I went with painted over powder coat because of the ease of repair. While powder coated wheels won't pit as easily (or at all) compared to painted wheels. They will scuff if you curb them. And, it's a lot easier to repair painted wheels over powder coated.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Here's an image of the Carrera S wheels painted satin black. Edit to add the cost for me as requested in your original post. To have the wheels painted (tire removed, wheel striped of factory paint, and multi coats of satin black applied) cost me $800.00

·
Registered
148 Posts

Believe it or not, most OEM wheels are powder coated. So are many aftermarket wheels. And a shop will use the term 'paint' to mean powder coating when it comes to coloring wheels because it doesn't want to confuse the consumer. (RDoug, I suspect that's the case with yours.)

Powder coating is far preferred over painting because the initial layer of pigment actually becomes part of the wheel's metal. That's why no primer is required and why wheels must be completely stripped of its existing coatings -- usually via an acid bath that dissolves pre-existing pigment and a bit of metal -- before pigment is applied. The bare metal bonds to the initial pigment, then subsequent coats are cured in an oven. It's much more resilient, almost never chips, and can withstand far more dirt, dust, heat, abrasion, and other things than mere paint can -- this is why powder coating is typically used to color engine parts as well.

$800 for 4 wheels, as RDoug paid, is on the high end of the cost scale for the service. A reputable wheel shop with years of business and good service typically charges $100-$130 per wheel. The last set of wheels I had done cost me $125 per wheel, and that included removal from the car, stripping, coating (black, then gloss clearcoat), and reinstallation/balancing -- all overnight.

Reactions: donR

·
Registered
148 Posts

Here's an image of the Carrera S wheels painted satin black.
R Doug: Where'd you source those black color-crested center caps? I'll need to pick a set of those up in the next few weeks ... ?

·
Registered
344 Posts

I ordered the color crested caps with my car. They were painted to match the wheels.

Reactions: Viffermike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks guys, very helpful.

·
PCA Member
200 Posts

I chose to go with powder coated wheels for the following reason. 1-I could pick a sample from the powder coating manufacturer and get a sample, which I could match up against the car. 2- More durable than paint and will resist stones or other debris, but not curb rash. 3- cost was similar to the cost of paint.

Attachments

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
3 Posts
does this bronze have a name?

I chose to go with powder coated wheels for the following reason. 1-I could pick a sample from the powder coating manufacturer and get a sample, which I could match up against the car. 2- More durable than paint and will resist stones or other debris, but not curb rash. 3- cost was similar to the cost of paint.

·
PCA Member
200 Posts

The powder coated was JTpowdercoating see them on instagram.

Triple bronze!! Color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PCA Member
200 Posts

Attachments

·
PCA Member
200 Posts
Here you go. Triple Bronze Powdercoating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my Carrera S powdered coated to a anthracite it was as close to the Platinum Satin color as I could get. I had gotten the paint code for the Platinum Satin, but it seems the paint and powder codes do not cross ref. With that my center caps are not an exact match, as for cost I paint $530 they were acid dipped and blasted and 2 coats and a clear.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T (On Order)
204 Posts
Everyone is focusing solely on aesthetics here so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. For most cast wheels powder coating is fine when done by a place that specializes in wheels, has experience with the right temperatures etc.

1. Powder coating means heating the wheels and if done incorrectly can weaken the wheel. Most generic powder coating places put all sorts of things in an oven and heat to one temperature and leave things in there long enough to cover all the things that are being powder coated not what is optimal for wheels. While this is not likely to be an issue with cast wheels, it can be worse for forged wheels. Forged wheel making involves tempering a wheel which is an art. For example most, if not all, forged BBS wheels come out out Japan where they have mastered this forging process. So you send to some generalist treating them like a cast wheel, you can end up making them brittle if you reheat and cool incorrectly. So I would paint forged wheels, not powder coat.

2. Powder coating requires roughing up the surface to get good adhesion. If not done correctly, powder coating can chunk off if you hit something and once powder-coated, it would take a lot more work to correctly powder coat. I have had issues for example where the powder coat on the bead flakes off over time leading to slow air leaks. Painting is less destructive to the wheel and easier to repaint.

3. Powder coating adds thickness so you can have some surface waviness since it's harder to control the thickness than with paint. Furthermore, applying powder coat to the hubs and bolt seats is terrible. I have also had that happen. It's not like paint that comes off when you install the wheel on the hub or put the wheel bolts on. If powder coated, you will have to grind off the powder coat from the hub or if you put them on and tighten down, you literally might not be able to take them off!. I had this happen as well. After trying muscle, hammers, multiple people, wood blocks, I finally had to resort to loosening all the wheel bolts, driving with loose bolts and slamming on the brakes to break them free from the hub. Not fun. Powder coat on the bolt seats will allow you to torque the wheel bolt to 90 ft lbs as normal but you are seated on the powder coat, not the metal so as soon as you drive around, the powder coat underneath will begin to flake off and you will have loose wheels. Until the entire seat flakes off you will have suspect wheel bolt torque.

So to recap, there is no free lunch despite what the masses say. Powder coating is harder on a wheel than paint. It heats it and once powder coated, much for difficult to refurbish correctly. Paint does not do anything structurally to the wheel. If you have Forged wheels and track or drive very hard, I would never powder coat them except from the factory where they know what they are doing. From what I have seen, even powder coating wheel shops treat forged wheels the same as cast. When they do crack, people think it's just because of a wheel defect when it could be that the forged wheel was made more brittle by powder coat re-heating.

Finally, I contacted BBS Germany and BBS USA to ask this exact question and they replied that wheels are powder coated at the factory but to tight tolerances and that especially forged wheels should not be re-heated, but painted instead. Of course being the internet, some guy who believes in powder coating simply replied to me posting the letter with: Well, that's their opinion.. I have mine. : )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.