Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 3M done at the dealer- front bumper, mirrors, first 18 inches of hood and sides & behind the door handles.

I was wondering it it was required right behind the front wheels and behind the rear wheels where the bumper curves down.

Right now there is a lot of sand on the roads and I don't want to find out after the damage is done that this is a place to gets 'sand blasted' a lot.

Also, are headlight & fog light film recommended?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Personally I would put 3M behind the wheels. The last car that didn't have protection took a serious beating and it looked like somebody took a mini sand blaster to it. I have protection on the CS and it still looks like new.

I also have it for the headlight and foglight but not sure whether it does anything.

-Moto

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I would put 3M behind the wheels. The last car that didn't have protection took a serious beating and it looked like somebody took a mini sand blaster to it. I have protection on the CS and it still looks like new.

I also have it for the headlight and foglight but not sure whether it does anything.

-Moto
Did you get it done at the dealer or an independent seller?

I tried to find if there were pre-cut film for these locations but didn't find any.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I do not have my Porsche yet, on order, but I have an 08 STI. I live in CA so there is not any sand or salt on the road where I live. Other STI owners that live in climates where it snows definitely have issues with the rear flare on the back quarter panel where the front wheels throw sand/salt back and chip up the the flare. After seeing pics posted by them, I decided to cover my flares. My thinking was if sand/salt can do that kind of damage, so can rocks and other stuff on the road around my area. My recommendation is cover it, you will kick yourself if you don't and it happens. At this point you have already spend a good deal of money, these are the cheaper things to cover.

pcw

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I would recommend it behind the wheels - I had mine done through the dealer before delivery of the car. Most, if not all dealers don't really do this themselves, they sub it out.

Mine also has coverage for the headlights and fog lights - it's a much thicker material.

I also had the following areas done - the painted door thresholds, the edges of the doors, and and the top of the rear spoiler - rocks that fly over the top of the car hit the rear edge of the spoiler - happened all the time on my turbo.

brad

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Definitely a must have in my book.

Where are you located? Maybe one of our sponsors can provide this service.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Definitely a must have in my book.

Where are you located? Maybe one of our sponsors can provide this service.

I am located in Colorado Springs but am able to drive out to the nearest one if its not too far away...ie Denver

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Dealership recommendation. You're dealer should be able to do the same.

Good luck!
-Moto
Did you get it done at the dealer or an independent seller?

I tried to find if there were pre-cut film for these locations but didn't find any.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a cheap and easy way to protect this area.

Get a roll of clear shelf liner from your local Wal Mart or Target or equivalent. Make a rough piece approximately the size and shape of the area, press into place and then trim.

After trimming, the edges are not as nice and straight as the pre-cut films. But other than that, it's a really good way to protect this area, that costs around $6, and you have a lot of the shelf liner left over.

While I am talking about the shelf liner, I also use it to protect vulnerable areas during an autocross. I clipped a slalom cone with the right rear and it made a big black cone mark right in front of the air inlet. At the end of the day, I peeled off the shelf liner and the mark was gone instantly!

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I've tried the 3M plastic film solution on other cars for behind the wheels, and IMO it works okay depending on your geographic area. In SoCal I was moderately satisfied with it (it would last about two years before I was tempted to have the film redone from pitting), but in Oregon film was, to me, unacceptable for this use. The small rocks ("sand") they use for traction just rips up the film behind the wheels on some cars; it depends on how the lower body parts are shaped. The Cayman appears to be really bad behind the rear wheels. For that area, here in Oregon, I chose to go right to discreet splash guards.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Besides the DIY, does anyone make actual Boxster/Cayman Splash Guards?

I just spent a few minutes and couldn't find any that were made specifically for the Caymans.

I prefer splash guards but don't know if I really want to drill holes for it.....the cars is only 3 dasy old.

I think I will try the 3m first as the local installer is charging me $150 for behind the front and back wheels as well as in front of the rear wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts