Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine asked me if I could paint the brake calipers red.
Is a special tool required to remove the calipers for this purpose ?

·
Vendor
6,503 Posts
No, you need to remove two bolts that hold caliper, and unscrew the brake line with metric 10 wrench. That's it. Real simple thing. Those who change their own brake pads, do it all the time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I've been told I can repaint without removing the brake line connection....and that removing the brake line requires metric flare wrenches (which I don't possess).

·
Vendor
6,503 Posts
Brake line is 10 metric size, if I remember right. Working with caliper separate will be much, much simpler. I guess you can do it on the car, but the will require a lot of plastic sheets, which will surely cost more than 10 wrench :) You also need to seriously clean the caliper, and probably lightly sand it for better adhesion. The paint also has to be heat resistant, as calipers can get pretty hot at times.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For my brake calipers, a rare TRIPLE SQUARE female socket is required to remove the calipers......
very difficult to find.
I can find MALE sockets or FEMALE sockets in non-metric sizes.
Metric female hard to come by.

·
Vendor
6,503 Posts
What car are you talking about? I did change my rotors, which required removing calipers. I'm sure I did it without triple square socket. The only thing I needed that for is removing seatbelts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just swapped pads on Monday. T55 torx bit and a 10mm socket to remove the bracket. No need for anything triple square.

I would remove the calipers and paint them on a work bench vs. painting in the wheel well. You'll need to bleed the brakes though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
671 Posts
Unless someone used the wrong bolts, Porsche caliper bolts are female. From the factory they are Torx, and replacements are hex, from a dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless someone used the wrong bolts, Porsche caliper bolts are female. From the factory they are Torx, and replacements are hex, from a dealer.
Interesting.....so are they "1 use" ? .... i.e. need to be replaced after removal ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts