Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the November sales report Porsche sales are up vs. last year. If you dive into the numbers it is because of the Panamera being for sale this year. However, if you dive into the numbers a little deeper, you'll discover that sales for October and November were basically the same - 366 in November and 360 for October - well wait a minute doesn't that mean the car increased sales in November? No, because the car didn't go on sale until October 17th, basically in 2 weeks 360 cars sold in October, then in 4+ weeks of November 366 cars were sold, in other words the cars sold per day for November were about 50% of what was sold in October.

This isn't too surprising as launch months are always higher due to backlog. It will be more interesting to see where sales go in December, can the Panamera hold steady or will it start to falter?

The only product line making gains vs. last year is the 987 product line as Cayman and Boxsters sold more this year than last. 911's and Cayennes were both down.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I also am interested in where the sales totals will go.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Well, the majority of the sales were launch cars and cars on the lot and not special ordered ones. I m not sure how fast the dealers stock for Panies gets replenished. You cannot sell what you don't have.
That's what I was thinking...any way to tell how many orders the dealers received?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Hard predicament IMO.

Porsche is mainly known for sports cars, so keeping a few examples of each Boxster, Cayman, & 911 level is necessary. Most of these are going to be way below the $100k level, except for a few high end 911s. Even then at very large dealers I don't see many of the $100k cars sitting around as they are mostly special ordered.

Same for the Cayenne, most way below the $100k mark. I hardly ever see a Turbo or Turbo S Cayenne at all. Highest level I see every once in a while sitting on a lot is a GTS.

With the Panamera most are going to be around the $100k mark or more with decent options, but they won't be anywhere near as popular in the coming months as the demand wanes a bit.

So, how many $100k Panameras do you keep on hand?,.....not many would be my guess. I would think most dealers will keep a demo and not much else, they will glad to order you one, but I don't suspect we will see 5 or 6 of them sitting around on lots. Just too much inventory cost for a car with a much smaller pool of buyers.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
From what my sales woman says, her dealership is not discounting the Panamera at all.

The Turbo is in high demand. What else is new?!?

The Panamera really needs the Turbo. And if you haul four lage adults in it, you need the Turbo.

The PT has replaced the 9114S as her favorite car because of its jet-like interior with its plushness and the Turbo drives like a rear engined 911.

Her dealership is taking all the Panamera's it can get its hands on. She has sold three already and has two more in the works.

I think sales will hold steady as the line is fully developed & deployed. I anticipate that may peak with a coupe called the Panamera 928 and perhaps even a full series based on that--Panamera 928, Panamera 928S, Panamera 928S4, and Panamera 928 Turbo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dealer's are really sticking to their guns on this one, or so they say...

I have done my shopping for my Panamera and have gotten discounts of up to $10k.

The hype of the Panamera has really settled down as at the end of the day MONEY TALKS and the rest.. well you know... just want to see it at the showroom and test drive it.

I have my Panamera on order with an early Jan. delivery because I'm that type of guy who hates paying for something I don't want for example a "ski bag" (I don't know why anyone would want that here in Miami) ... a discount on a car just because its sitting on their lot is not a discount, its a sign of weakness that they CANT MOVE THEM as quickly as they thought, however they are selling.

You also have to consider that many have been waiting a while for this car and the "deposit lists are long" yet when the car gets here they ask for their deposit back because they couldn't wait long enough and are driving something else....

Today there are no waiting lists and all you have to do is find a dealer and place an order with a 2-3 month wait
The fact of the matter is the economy is still weak and the good ol' days .. well.. are the good OLD days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts