Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys feel concerned when you park your Porsche on public places like malls, stores, movie theaters, etc. I have had a new boxster in the 90s when the boxster was the new kid on the block as well other nice cars and hardly felt worried back then. I'm concerned somebody is going to do something stupid to the car even they don't see me parking it. I feel and see there are some crazy and unhappy people out there, resentful too.

My sister who works in the high tech field told me recently that one of her coworker came back to her work very sad because somebody car keyed his $120000 Tesla in a mall parking lot.

I work and live in northern California and I see a lot of nice cars very often, I saw a blue Ferrari a new Mercedes SL yesterday and today I saw another new Ferrari, so the point that people are not accustomed to see nice cars would not be valid.
What do any of you guys think, your thoughts, input?

P.S. When I drive my other two vehicles everything is/feels normal as I don't get thirty looks( I get smiles too when I drive the boxster) and is business as usual.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Crazy people will always be with us, they seem to be multiplying every year. I just park my car at the end of a lot and hope no one messes with it. Life is too short to worry about things you can't control. Just enjoy your Porsche and make an insurance claim if some jerk messes with it. It's only a car.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Also an end of lot parker. Keeps the door dings away. I have a relative with a Spder who will no longer leave his car parked with the top down. Multiple times he's returned to it to find someone had thrown their trash into the car, including soda cups with some still in it. I hate freaken morons!:cheers:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I don't worry about the crazies...but then I don't antagonize then by pulling jerk stunts such as parking in two spaces, and I try and find a spot where other people will see if someone goes after the car. But if they're gonna get you, they're gonna get you. I once pulled into a parking spot in front of the main entrance to a super busy mall. As I was getting out of the car, some mouth breather in a paint company pickup pulled up behind me and let loose with a verbal salvo (I belive he was suggesting the parking spot was "his," and I "stole" it from him). When I got back to the car, it had "a**hole" and "f***you" spray painted on the sides, hood and trunk. (It was a while back...not a Porsche...a GTI). I had just waxed it a couple of days earlier...and much to my surprise all the black spray paint was easily removed in about an hour.

If you let the nutjobs get under your skin, they win. No matter what they do to a car, it can be fixed...

Reactions: gfspencer

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My Cayman S got keyed across a street from a Ferrari dealership. It's just a risk we take.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is what insurance is for. But just incase, i have a hardwired dashcam that runs 24/7

·
Registered
105 Posts
I certainly share your concern. I find that my Boxster gets lots of attention, and that is concerning at times. I deliberately ordered a silver car, as silver kind of "blends in" as there are so many silver cars. Recently my wife and I went on a road trip, and stayed overnight at a hotel (nice Hampton, in good neighborhood, etc). Although nothing to do with the car color: I had a car cover on my car, and someone took the thing off halfway, I assume to see what was underneath. I was parked near a door to the hotel, and in one space. Fortunately there was no damage. However, after seeing that, my paranoia kicked in. At that time, I decided not to sell my Volvo, and keep it as a daily driver. (The Volvo is Copper color, and you would think that it gets noticed.....not.) I can park the Volvo anywhere, and no one seems to care. There is something to be said for that.....I guess. And yes, anything on a car can be fixed, but if you are really anal about your car, it is never the same. Kind of like the bell you can't "un-ring".

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Had my M3 keyed once and it's not a good feeling. I rarely drive my Porsches anywhere but work. At work, it's gated and only employees can park there. I have 3 small kids and a wife so when I'm off, I drive the SUV or minivan so not really a problem for me anymore.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have never had a problem. I park in end spots or far away from the crowds, but never take up more than one spot.

The only time I ever had a problem with a convertible is finding a half eaten ice cream cone thrown on the seat of my Alfa Spider many years ago.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I got lucky. A crazy young guy all but told me he'd vandalize my 981 if I left it parked in the lot and walked away. I believe he said this to frighten me (perhaps out of jealousy) but in any case it was clear he was mentally unstable. This may be the only case of a self-announced vandal-before-the-fact in history! Needless to say, I drove off and did my shopping later. It takes all kinds. I think it should go without saying to not take up 2 parking spaces, drive something else to bad neighborhoods, and keep your eyes open.

Regarding the comment above about the Tesla, that would be unlikely here in Portlandia. While, by Portland standards, having the $ for a Tesla makes one a "bad person," the fact that it's electric overrules that issue and makes one marred (rich) but forgivable (environmentally concerned). Alas, driving any P sports car makes one a "bad person" and therefore vulnerable. Interesting how a Cayenne Turbo would probably not be as likely a target, proving that, despite the Portland rhetoric, it ain't really about "rich"--it's really about jealous.

·
Registered
197 Posts
K, so I work in a mall!! My car is not a 981 but I feel about it the same as anyone else. Where I park there is no parking allowed on my drivers side and my co-worker parks on the other side and is very gracious about always leaving plenty of room between the two cars. This is my third "nice car" I've had since starting this job and I have never had anything happen ..xxxx fingers & toes . I am also of the belief that there really is always some one out there who does not like that you have what they can not ! that sentiment is always going to be there. So just enjoy what you have and hopefully you won't ever have to deal with unpleasant people or their bad behaviors. I truly don't understand how anyone could look at any Porsche without seeing the absolute beauty each model possesses and be in awe of the engineering that has created such a fluid crafted work of art.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I drive my CGTS whenever I get a chance. I'll go to Safeway, Costco, Home Depot, and Michael's (with one of my daughters). So far nothing has happened other than getting some compliments. I actually prefer to park closer to the entrance or where there's foot traffic as having people around it's less likely for someone to do something. I was annoyed once at Costco where I parked farther away because it was busy, but had an end spot. When I was done shopping and got back, someone decided to park right next to me despite several open spots available. Of course all of these trips are short for the time I'm away from my car. Yesterday, I went to the theater and would have to leave my car unattended for 3 hours (watching Interstellar which I thought was awesome despite some minor plot holes), so I took my Lexus instead. In fact, anytime I leave the eastside and drive to Seattle, I'll take my Lexus.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I personally will not park anywhere that has shopping carts.
i once parked my brand new Acura (hadn't even made the first payment yet) at Costco for a forty five minute shopping stop. I parked it well away from other cars. I guess for some jealous moron it stood out like a target.
i came out to find my driver side door full of dents obviously from a shopping cart. Keep in mind that Acura uses nothing like an aluminum composite door panels. It is like a tank. The force needed to make the dents was nothing less than extreme. There were also multiple dents so it could not have been struck just once by a run away shopping cart. Someone had to haul off and slam the door multiple times. Yes, insurance covered it; but there are not many body shops that can return even a single panel replacement to factory perfection.
The moral of the story? I will not park my Boxster anywhere near where there is a shopping cart that can act as an immediately accessible weapon in the hands of some neanderthal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Porsche sports cars draw a lot of attention, unfortunately.

Sooner or later, the wrong person passes by and vandalizes your car. Two of my cars (not Porsche) were keyed in the past - re-painting the car is a nightmare, and the paint is never the same after that.

I don't park my Cayman at places where I think there's a meaningful risk, which actually means most public places. I have a different car for that. It's one of the impractical aspects of Porsche sports cars. They are attention magnets, which really is a bad thing on the streets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you a lot on many aspects of your post, draw attention on Porsches, wrong person, repainting being a nightmare even with a good body shop, paint never the same, having different car to take, etc. You are right on. Sorry about your cars.
I cant understand why people would do such a thing, I guess, actually I know I am not a jealous person and I don't experience that feeling. If I think someone is a jerk or a a.........le I let them know to their faces, I wont take it out on their property behind their backs, too coward. I guess what I am trying to say I am different for better or worse.
But like other people posted to enjoy my car and don't worry, still it hurts to come to your car and see it was violated. If I see a punk doing it to other people's car rest assure I will try to stop them. Yes I will think about the big picture, my safety and all.
Thanks to all of you responding to my thread.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I exercise some caution or precision (depending on your definition of the behavior) where I park. But, I also do the same thing with my wife's A3 and, in fact, have done it with most cars that I have owned. Regarding the Porsche, one of the values of having a Black Cayman is it tends to draw a lot less attention than did, say, my Guards Red 08 CS or Carrera White Cayman R.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Third Porsche - lived in NJ, Washington DC and Northern Virginia. All were and are daily drivers - never had a problem. I park in one spot, not two - usually try to get an end spot in a parking lot, cars park next to it but that's life. It is also parked routinely on the street. It does occasionally get bumped parking, annoying but part of owning a car in an urban environment. The Porsche is not an anonymous vehicle, if that's what you're looking for you might want a different car. Color combinations also raise the visibility. If you want to drive racing yellow or any of the brighter colors, the car will more likely be noticed, not a bad thing but a matter of choice. Enjoy the ride and and don't sweat the small stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I rarely go to Malls. (If I can't buy it on Amazon I don't buy it.) I do not drive my 981 to a movie theater . . . especially a movie after dark.

I do go to Lowe's and the grocery store. I just park uphill from shopping carts.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I do have concern and stuff has happened to my friends Carrera. Some morons would spit on it especially when it was clean and it was also keyed. My big worry is the door dinging, My wife has new Subaru Forester as her daily driver. She received 4 dings in less than year. Thank my lucky stars for paint-less dent removal guys! My 987 is basically for enjoyment driving, so It remains safe from uncaring or jealous idiots!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
There are places I simply won't go, Porsche or otherwise. Shopping malls after dark high on the list and, alas, the subway station 2 miles from my home; a convenient way to get into the city (no way am I driving down there) but leaving a nice car there is a no-no. I currently don't have access to a beater.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts