Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for going off topic for a bit, moderators prerogative! :taunt:

While getting ready for another cold snap here in NY, I'm fighting cabin fever by thinking of a trip down to DC this spring to photograph the Cherry Blossom festival.

Any suggestions for safe self-parking locations? I don't mind taking the Metro downtown, so I was thinking Union Station should have massive parking facilities but not sure if you would leave a car there all day!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The outlying metro stations have parking lots or garages. Saves the commute for the workers. There should be a site that shows them. The train station would work too and it is only a short metro ride to the action. But too much activity at Union compared to the commuter parking where cars generally sit from 8 to 5.

·
Registered
266 Posts
PistolPete: Most of the neighborhoods in DC now have 'zone' parking restrictions, usually two hours. Pay parking on the street is pretty pricey as they encourage garages. The parking spots at Union Station are a little tight, not bad though. If you're just popping down for the day I can make a guest zone pass available in a nice part of NW near a metro stop and you can park next to my CS :)

·
Super Moderator
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PistolPete: Most of the neighborhoods in DC now have 'zone' parking restrictions, usually two hours. Pay parking on the street is pretty pricey as they encourage garages. The parking spots at Union Station are a little tight, not bad though. If you're just popping down for the day I can make a guest zone pass available in a nice part of NW near a metro stop and you can park next to my CS :)
Haha, I'll keep that in mind, thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've taken the cayman to DC many times. I usually just park in front of the Capitol on the weekends. Not guaranteed a spot, but I've had luck every time. The meter parking is not that pricey, just a little hard to find a spot to parallel park in.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Having recently returned from a trip to DC, here's my advice: park your car outside DC and take the Metro into the city.

Parking is an absolute nightmare in DC proper. It's expensive, hard to find, and especially during an event like the Cherry Blossom Festival, makes it twice as frustrating.

Also, lodging is not cheap in DC. If you're staying for a few days, I'd recommend staying in a neighboring area like Arlington, where hotel parking is much cheaper (or free). You can pretty much get anywhere in DC on the Metro subway, which is quite convenient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts