Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the PASM lowers the Cayman about 10mm compared to non-PASM Caymans, but is it really noticeable in person or not?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I noticed it a few cars away but when I approached it for a closer look it still looks high because of the wheel gap.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I know the PASM lowers the Cayman about 10mm compared to non-PASM Caymans, but is it really noticeable in person or not?
Noticeable yes, a huge difference, no. It isn't going to look like a Cayman that as been lowered an inch or more. :) I would not buy PASM for "looks" although there are a lot of other good reasons to buy it, see our FAQ for details.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Yes, definitely noticeable. At least to me.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
You can notice that its still not low enough!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!
I was considering PASM, but don't think I "need" the suspension features it provides. I thought that if the ride height was a significant difference that may be enough incentive to get the option (I'll be leasing so modifying won't be possible), but since its sounding like that's not the case, I'll probably pass on it.

Any comparison pics available?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Thanks for the replies!
I was considering PASM, but don't think I "need" the suspension features it provides. I thought that if the ride height was a significant difference that may be enough incentive to get the option (I'll be leasing so modifying won't be possible), but since its sounding like that's not the case, I'll probably pass on it.

Any comparison pics available?
If you are leasing and NOT modifying your suspension then I would HIGHLY recommend PASM as you won't be able to get a better suspension otherwise. The ride quality and handling are better than the stock suspension, but again up to you, but if I were leasing and NOT modifying it would be a no brainer and heck I bought, modified and still chose PASM because I went with the Bilstein PSS Damptronic PASM upgrade. :)

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I sure can.

You can figure out if you can notice it on your own....

Set your seat to some height and drive it like that for a while. THen lower it
10 mm and see if you notice it. Simple. :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
I find it obvious that the ride height has changed in that from the drivers seat you look up slightly at the world, the suspension is firmed up substantially (still supple but a bit more harsh over road imperfections and cornering flatter).

If you leave the engine running and get out to look, the gap between wheel and fender is clearly smaller.

There is also a red mist, but that is another story.http://www.planet-9.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

·
Registered
502 Posts
I find it obvious that the ride height has changed in that from the drivers seat you look up slightly at the world, the suspension is firmed up substantially (still supple but a bit more harsh over road imperfections and cornering flatter).

If you leave the engine running and get out to look, the gap between wheel and fender is clearly smaller.

Why would you need to leave the engine running?

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts

There is also a red mist, but that is another story.http://www.planet-9.com/images/smilies/dance.gif
+3. Chuck, if you think your car gets lower when you push the sport button, you are mistaken. The suspension does not move from one setting to another or between the car being on or off. PASM is just 10mm lower than stock...all the time.

The point of PASM is that it gives you a slightly better ride than the standard suspension in "Normal" and a much stiffer suspension in "Sport". The springs are shorter on PASM and so the ride is a touch lower.

For a lease car, PASM is ideal. You get a nice, stiff suspension for occasional track, back road or expressway ramp fun and a comfy suspension for normal driving. In addition to that, the sensors on the suspension will switch one or more shocks to the Sport mode as deemed necessary by the computer. Thus, you can feel the car stiffen up when you hit an expressway ramp hard even though you forgot to hit the "sport button". In this case, it will soften up again when the car straightens out. Cool stuff!

PASM is especially recommended with 19" wheels on a Gen 1 car. That's how my car came. I love the look but the car is still too busy with 19's on the street and Gen 1 PASM has a non-linear, jiggly kind of thing going on that can be a little tiresome at times. In Sport, the ride can be very bad on the wrong sort of road, but at high speed on interstates, it can be quite fun. The car feels more like it "should" in Sport mode, high strung and ready to rumble, if your teeth can take the rattling.

Gen 2 cars can get away without PASM because the standard suspension is more comfortable and capable out of the box, but I still would not order 19" wheels without PASM. In fact, I would not order 19" wheels at all. I think 18s are what the car was designed for and feel correct on either car. If you are going to track your leased car, 18s are cheaper to replace and there are more tire choices. Bridgestone RE11 is a great "road and track" summer tire.

The Gen 2 18" wheels are more attractive to my eyes than the Gen 1 18's.

Nothing makes a Cayman or Boxster look better than a set of cool 19" wheels, but they also really degrade the comfort factor on bad roads, especially on a pre-09 car, so don't get 19's on a Gen 1 car without PASM and, if you're going to track your car and want a stiff setup for that, PASM is recommended.

If you're leasing an '09 or newer Cayman and don't have track fever, I would get 18" wheels and no PASM. You will love it. It will work on the track too, of course, but PASM will work better on track.

The emphasis on ride comfort may seem sort of pedestrian to people who have not yet owned one of these cars, but unless your car is going to be a mostly track machine, ride comfort needs to be a priority. This is a low car with short wheel travel and small wheelbase. It's a sports car and even the most compliant suspension and wheels available are going to feel plenty sporty to most people. You can pretend you don't mind the hard ride of 19" wheels on a stiffer suspension, but eventually it's going to get annoying to you on bad roads. Balance is the key. :cheers:

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Well written sixisenuff. :cheers:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts

x2...

you don't think the suspension lowers "on the fly", do you? It's fixed-height...
Has anyone who is asking questions about PASM taken the time to read the PASM section of our FAQ? Every single question posed thus far, as well as misconceptions have all been answered in that FAQ. Please have a look...
:thanks:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all the great info.!! I am in love w/ the 19" Carrerra S II wheels, so they're a must have for myself. Seeing as how I'm leasing and you all have made some great points, I'll most likely be getting the PASM as well.
Thanks again, this board helps so much with decision making for my future CS!:cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
+3. Chuck, if you think your car gets lower when you push the sport button, you are mistaken. The suspension does not move from one setting to another or between the car being on or off. PASM is just 10mm lower than stock...all the time.

The point of PASM is that it gives you a slightly better ride than the standard suspension in "Normal" and a much stiffer suspension in "Sport". The springs are shorter on PASM and so the ride is a touch lower.

For a lease car, PASM is ideal. You get a nice, stiff suspension for occasional track, back road or expressway ramp fun and a comfy suspension for normal driving. In addition to that, the sensors on the suspension will switch one or more shocks to the Sport mode as deemed necessary by the computer. Thus, you can feel the car stiffen up when you hit an expressway ramp hard even though you forgot to hit the "sport button". In this case, it will soften up again when the car straightens out. Cool stuff!

PASM is especially recommended with 19" wheels on a Gen 1 car. That's how my car came. I love the look but the car is still too busy with 19's on the street and Gen 1 PASM has a non-linear, jiggly kind of thing going on that can be a little tiresome at times. In Sport, the ride can be very bad on the wrong sort of road, but at high speed on interstates, it can be quite fun. The car feels more like it "should" in Sport mode, high strung and ready to rumble, if your teeth can take the rattling.

Gen 2 cars can get away without PASM because the standard suspension is more comfortable and capable out of the box, but I still would not order 19" wheels without PASM. In fact, I would not order 19" wheels at all. I think 18s are what the car was designed for and feel correct on either car. If you are going to track your leased car, 18s are cheaper to replace and there are more tire choices. Bridgestone RE11 is a great "road and track" summer tire.

The Gen 2 18" wheels are more attractive to my eyes than the Gen 1 18's.

Nothing makes a Cayman or Boxster look better than a set of cool 19" wheels, but they also really degrade the comfort factor on bad roads, especially on a pre-09 car, so don't get 19's on a Gen 1 car without PASM and, if you're going to track your car and want a stiff setup for that, PASM is recommended.

If you're leasing an '09 or newer Cayman and don't have track fever, I would get 18" wheels and no PASM. You will love it. It will work on the track too, of course, but PASM will work better on track.

The emphasis on ride comfort may seem sort of pedestrian to people who have not yet owned one of these cars, but unless your car is going to be a mostly track machine, ride comfort needs to be a priority. This is a low car with short wheel travel and small wheelbase. It's a sports car and even the most compliant suspension and wheels available are going to feel plenty sporty to most people. You can pretend you don't mind the hard ride of 19" wheels on a stiffer suspension, but eventually it's going to get annoying to you on bad roads. Balance is the key. :cheers:
Six, you are right once again. PASM in the sport reduces reduces the damping in the shock absorbers; it does not change the ride height.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts