Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Maverick Region DE Instructor
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a great weekend at the track, I was cleaning the car and swapping out wheels when I noticed that the axles on both sides had rub marks. I took a closer look and saw impact marks on my borla exhaust directly above and precisely where the rub mark on the axles are. Take a look at the following pic:

I have been considering a new suspension setup and lowering the car some in the process. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to need to modify the exhaust to increase clearance.

Has anyone else noticed this on their cars? If so, what did you do to increase clearance?

Here are some more pics:

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
Same issue with Fabspeed and PSS9.

It may be a result of a broken front motor mount. My race tech found a failed front mount and then noticed the exhaust interference. He repaired the mount and marked the axels with tape so that we can see if it happens again. Could just be coincedental.

This is the second failed mount.

Cheers,

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,636 Posts
I had it with my AWE and have it with my TPC Turbo on the passenger side. The car is lowered on Damptronics

·
Registered
992 Posts
Update: I contacted Fabspeed and they were aware of the issue on some lowered Caymans. They're releasing updated inlet pipes this month that will correct the problem.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Most systems are not designed to work with lowered cars.

REMUS had to modify the inlet pipe on the Gen I systems to fit lowered cars and problems went away. Otherwise, it will rub on the axle-shaft under hard driving as you pictured.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Another update: Fabspeed shipped me modified pipes that resolved the clearance issue. My original pipe was basically worn through with a decent size flat spot (concave actually)....few more spirited runs and that baby would've been one large hole.

Thanks to the guys at Fabspeed!

Shiny replacement:

·
Kestrel Racing
578 Posts
After a great weekend at the track, I was cleaning the car and swapping out wheels when I noticed that the axles on both sides had rub marks...
Well, if you'd slow down out there this kind of thing wouldn't happen. ;)

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I had the same problem with my Milltek and Bilstein damptronics. The car was lowered in the rear about 1-1/2". This contact led to a crack in one of the exhaust headers. The damage was not covered under warranty. It might have been a good time to opt for an aftermarket header but I chose the easy route and replaced it with oem. We then raised the car a bit to eliminate the contact problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts