Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PASM on my new to me 2016 CS seems always on. The light on the PASM button dutifully turns off and on but neither I nor the techs at the local dealer can tell the difference in ride between on and off.

My outgoing 2009 CS has PASM and there's a very clear difference between off and on. And I've driven a 2015 CGTS and recall a clear difference as well. So I don't think I'm imaging this. And I bought this car out of state and so have a few thousand miles in it on all kinds of roads. There's still no difference.

But the dealer had multiple people look at it and they say all the diagnostics work out, even though the techs agree that they can't tell the difference either. And, they drove another CS and couldn't tell on it, as well.

So they say this is normal.

Any useful comments.
Thanks,
Bern

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I have a 2014 BS and I have never been able to tell the difference in settings. Oh well.

BTW - PASM is never off. It is always on....just in sport or normal but always on.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I tried a PASM car and didn't like it. Besides the obvious body-roll compared to X73, it didn't feel well sorted. And my main issue was exactly what you mentioned: why get a 'compromised' suspension setup if there's no noticeable difference between the 2 modes. And obviously more prone to issues. And yes, PASM is an exaggeration, as typical of manufacturers. There's nothing 'active' about PASM; it REACTS to potholes and such, so there's nothing active about it. Just like any other adjustable shock, like the magnetorheological ones (in Ferraris, Corvettes, and others), which are the best IMO. And the 2 modes just change the damping characteristics (supposedly), but they're always 'on'. If they fail, they revert to the stiffest mode, and throw a code and dash light, so doubtful there's anything wrong with them. The only possible scenario is if all leaked all their fluid, but it'd be super rare all 4 did that. You're probably just experiencing what we did: no noticeable difference. I'm sure if you take the car to broken pavement, you could feel it, but should be a noticeable difference, especially with only 2 settings. Good luck.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a 2014 981 CS with PASM. As has been pointed out the system is always on. In normal mode, light is out, the system is soft under normal non-egressive driving. i.e. strait highway or freeway. When the road gets curvy then it will automatically stiffen up. This might also be true under hard breaking. This is why when you corner aggressively it will feel the same whether they little light is on or off. When you push the button and the light turns on the system is stiffer, more damped, all the time. This would be the setting typically chosen for track use.
Having said that, I can certainly feel the difference on broken/choppy freeways with my 20" wheels. With light off the system rides pretty smooth. With the system on the car judders up and down with the broken and choppy pavement. Interesting when I've been driving with the system ON and then turn it off, it does not resume a smooth ride instantaneously. There is a second or two delay.
Also, you did not say what wheels you are running. I don't know if the system would be as noticeable with 18" or 19" wheels. I'm not sure you would notice, or need, the system with anything smaller than 20" wheels. Also if you live in an area with smooth highways and freeways your not going to notice it. I have it because I have the 20" wheels and wanted a smoother ride on the freeway. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S GT Silver over expresso
88 Posts
I like RickH’s description. I have a 14 CS W 19” wheels. At higher speeds on non-perfect roads in normal mode, the car can feel unsettled. PASM to sport mode tightens the car up nicely. Very noticable. I don’t think the difference between normal and sport is significantly noticeable at around town speeds. Another application of PASM sport mode that provides increased stability is higher speeds on interstates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2014 981 CS with PASM. As has been pointed out the system is always on. In normal mode, light is out, the system is soft under normal non-egressive driving. i.e. strait highway or freeway. When the road gets curvy then it will automatically stiffen up. This might also be true under hard breaking. This is why when you corner aggressively it will feel the same whether they little light is on or off. When you push the button and the light turns on the system is stiffer, more damped, all the time. This would be the setting typically chosen for track use.
Having said that, I can certainly feel the difference on broken/choppy freeways with my 20" wheels. With light off the system rides pretty smooth. With the system on the car judders up and down with the broken and choppy pavement. Interesting when I've been driving with the system ON and then turn it off, it does not resume a smooth ride instantaneously. There is a second or two delay.
Also, you did not say what wheels you are running. I don't know if the system would be as noticeable with 18" or 19" wheels. I'm not sure you would notice, or need, the system with anything smaller than 20" wheels. Also if you live in an area with smooth highways and freeways your not going to notice it. I have it because I have the 20" wheels and wanted a smoother ride on the freeway. Hope this helps.
Interesting, didn't know that about PASM. I kind of wish I had PASM versus X73, going over rough roads is really annoying.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I can't tell much of a difference between normal and stiff for my 2016 Cayman, but I'm guessing the 18" wheel sidewalls soften the ride up vs the 19s and 20s. I had a loaner car with 19s and standard suspension, and it definitely felt like a bumpier drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm incredibly late to this discussion but want to contribute anyway for folks who dig deep into the record. My normal fun route involves about 5 miles of straight/boring road followed by 20 miles of curves. I drive with PASM in normal mode (light off) to the start of the curves, then switch the PASM to sport mode (light on). I often forget to switch back to normal mode when I return, but I always notice pretty quickly as the ride is firmer coming back on that same 5 mile section. The difference may be subtle but it is real. Running the same corners with PASM in normal and sport will reveal that the car seems to take a set and turn-in more rapidly with PASM in sport mode. You'll also feel more of the road texture in your jiggly bits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.