Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to join the 718 club and looking at two lightly used 718. One has PASM I believe (has sport button) and the other has Sport Chrono. Both are priced similarly but wondering which would be the better buy.

Also can I add the dual exhaust tip on a car that doesn't have it?

Thanks all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the car has PDK then Sport Chrono all the way if its manual then its a toss up between the two. PASM really comes into its own on the track or if you live in an area with super smooth twisty and empty roads for you to go fast enough to make the most of it. Sport Chrono can be used everywhere everyday (Sport+, Sport Response, Dynamic Engine mounts and Launch Control). Maybe not the last one but it sure is fun:). You can add the dual tips to the standard exhaust and its not the expensive (for Porsche). Good luck deciding ;).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one with Sport Chrono is a 6 speed which I don't mind. The PDK car has a Sport button which I'm guessing means it has PASM.
I live in NJ so smooth roads are not common here...lol

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My understanding is all 718s have a Sport button. If a car has PASM there is a separate button with an icon that looks like a shock.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I went with Sport Chrono myself, for what it's worth. Sport chrono you are focusing on performance. PASM you are focusing on comfort.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Both of my Porsches have SC and PASM. I would give up PASM anyday for SC.

Both are also manuals. For me, I need the rev matching which is worth the cost of SC just by itself.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The one with Sport Chrono is a 6 speed which I don't mind. The PDK car has a Sport button which I'm guessing means it has PASM.
I live in NJ so smooth roads are not common here...lol

I live in Ohio - I don't have PASM and while yes, it takes some getting used to it's actually not that bad.
A 6MT with Sport Chrono will get rev-matched downshifts, whereas a PDK with Sport Chrono gets launch control and more aggressive shifts. With a 6MT, I could live without Sport Chrono, but in general I'd rather live without the suspension adjustment than a potential performance gain (Sport Chrono > PASM).
You'd need to look for the suspension button on the center console to make sure it has PASM - get the build sheets for both cars to be sure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful as this will be my first Porsche.

My understanding is all 718s have a Sport button. If a car has PASM there is a separate button with an icon that looks like a shock.
Ok, if that is the case then neither car has PASM. I have seen 718's without the Sport button however (the one with the Sport Chrono package doesn't have a Sport button nor a shock button, just the disable traction button on the left. I will have to ask for the build sheets on both to make sure.

@arione I could wait to find a car with both but my budget is limited, only want to spend $60K and I have a trade so that does limit things. I have been looking all summer and now that I am sure prices will go down, I would like to make a deal in the next couple of weeks while the 2018's are coming in.

As this will be my daily driver, I would want to have a fun car to drive (moving from a BMW 650gc).

Rippey

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Ok, if that is the case then neither car has PASM. I have seen 718's without the Sport button however (the one with the Sport Chrono package doesn't have a Sport button nor a shock button, just the disable traction button on the left. I will have to ask for the build sheets on both to make sure.

@arione I could wait to find a car with both but my budget is limited, only want to spend $60K and I have a trade so that does limit things. I have been looking all summer and now that I am sure prices will go down, I would like to make a deal in the next couple of weeks while the 2018's are coming in.

As this will be my daily driver, I would want to have a fun car to drive (moving from a BMW 650gc).

Rippey

I think I misspoke- 718s without SC have a sport button on the console. With SC there is a button on the steering wheel to select modes.

Since the 718 is a current model you can review the various options on the Porsche website including the configurator.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Rippey
Sport Chrono on a 718 and newer 911 moves the Sport / Sport Plus buttons to the rotary dial on the bottom-right of the steering wheel (this dial only exists if you have Sport Chrono). If there's a Sport button on the console of a 718, it doesn't have Sport Chrono.

Moving from a 650gc will be a significant change in vehicle size / weight :D (a 1600lb diet!). Also, as a DD in New Jersey (not sure of the amount of snow you guys get) just prepare for winter tires in your budget down the road - the 650 probably came with All-seasons whereas a 718 will come with summer tires (which are hockey pucks in the cold).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moving from a 650gc will be a significant change in vehicle size / weight :D (a 1600lb diet!). Also said:
I can't wait. I love the 650 but when driving my Wifey's Countryman JCW is more fun than the 650, I knew I needed something more fun to drive.

Yes the weight loss will be massive. This is one reason I'm not considering the F-type despite awd. I had a TT coupe and don't want another Audi.

My thinking on the wheels is to put all seasons on and next spring, get some nice 20's.

Rippey

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
From Cobb, you can get a TCU tune for $500 that is a lot better than SC. It adds launch control and such. And it maps way better shift points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I found a car with both PASM and SC (also PTV) and looking to do everything to pick up next week. Can I add dual tips to the stock exhaust? I would want the dealer to do that if possible.

Rippey
Close, really close

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Unless you’re going to be tracking the car there’s no real pressing need for any additional sports/performance oriented options, other than maybe PSE. The base cars will make very short work of virtually any public road, right out of the box. PSE makes sporty driving more fun regardless of whether you’re pushing the outer limits of your car on the track or making a quick run to the grocery store.

On an enthusiast forum such as this you’re going to receive opinions from people who are far more concerned with the equipment on the car than the other 95% of people who buy the car for the sheer (within the laws) fun they offer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Even all 981s had sport as standard. It is sport+ that comes with the sports chrono option. You will know it has sports chrono if it has the chrono clock on the dash.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You can look up the build sheet yourself by using the Vin Decoder. When I’m shopping for cars I just cut and paste the VIN # from the dealers add and paste it into the VIN Decoder - link provided below.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/WP0AA2A84HS270088

Good luck in your “ Hunt “for your perfect car. The hunt is most of the fun for me when buying a car.

Rippey

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.