Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - my name is Alex and I'm coming from the other side of Germany: Bavaria. I'm only two steps away from my Cayman S - I need to sell my M3 and my dealer needs to get his 2007 allocation so he can swap out for my car!

I've driven the CS and Cayman a few times and wanted to get people's opinions on whether or not the PASM is worth it on the CS - IMO it is a must on the Cayman for the transmission.

Oh yeah.....this may help: I plan to drive the car on mountain roads, take spirited drives whenever permissible, autox, and may put her on the track when Dragon's Ridge is finished near me. Even though I do not plan to mod this car as I have others in the past, I'm not opposed to installing springs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'd certainly recommend it, along with Sport Chrono too.

When I test drove a car with these two options, I didn;t notice much difference, but once you;ve owned the car and driven it daily, there's a hell of a lot of difference!!

Having it in sport mode completely changes the characteristics of the car. I'm also convinced it sounds different in Sport mode.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like the Sport Chrono, but I have a problem with it.....and this may sound kind of silly to some of you.

I work for a Dealer Group in Southern Virginia who carries Porsche, so I'm privy to seeing what is available across the nation. I want a 2007 Cayman S, and am a tad picky on color. Every car with Sport Chrono optioned in a way that I'll take it is coming in colors that I don't like (for myself ;) ). Every car with Sport Chrono in a color I like is optioned to the hilt: $74,000 to $80,000 MSRP's! I prefer to keep the options to a minimum because that's what depreciates the most on a Porsche (I won't be in this car forever). I do not want a Cayman with an MSRP higher than $66,000.

The other side to my dilemna is time. I'm all signed up for a meet on the Dragon (in TN/NC) for late September with another car club, and I want to drive the Cayman to that more than anything else right now. If I have to drive my M3 I'll be upset :(

The reason I say 'silly' sounding is because most people would just wait. I'm an American, and I have no patience /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/teeth_smile.gif

Edited by - Poindexter on 08/08/2006 05:17:27 AM

·
Registered
569 Posts
When I went to test drive the Cayman I had to drive a car with and without PASM to prove it was worth the $2000. I have to say I was really impressed and if there's a chance you're going to autocross or track the car I feel its worth it. It makes the car have kind of a split personality. Its laid back and comfortable for day to day driving and then is super stiff and responsive when you want it to be sporty. You could make the car stiffer with aftermarket springs and shocks, but its always going to be one stiffness. The stock suspension I think is somewhere between the two settings on PASM. One thing I did notice and it may be the fact that its a different kind of suspension and I'm just not used to it, but the standard suspension seemed more progressive. The harder you pushed the car, the more its squatted until it reached the stops. With the PASM, the harder you pushed the car it didn't seem to squat anymore no matter how hard you pushed it. It just got to the point of where the car lost traction with pretty much the same attitude. I'd also recomend the Sport Chrono because it makes so its one button to put the car in sport mode and it has a more sporty throttle and raises the PSM limits. Ultimately, youshould drive the car with and without PASM (and maybe Sport Chrono) and make up your own mind if you think its worth the money. Workingfor dealership you can probably arrange that.

As for the color and options of cars with Sports Chrono I've seen some all over the board. The one I drove with PASM was silver and around 68K. If you don't like what you see, then order what you want. I'm ordering a carsimilar in price to what you describe with PASM and Sport Chrono and has mostly sport oriented options. I don't know what you do for your dealership, but its the dealers who order the cars that they get, so they should know what they have coming in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Due to my wanting the car ASAP, Sport Chrono is out. We receive our first 2007 allocation (base Cayman's aside) this week. Unfortunately that puts our first 2007's arriving between late October and December. We're going to try to trade an already built 2007 Cayman S for one of our allocation slots. Of the already-built CS's Sport Chrono is not an option for me, but PASM is.

I have driven cars with and without PASM back to back. I like it, but started this thread to hear what people with it had to say about it. So far, I appreciate the responses /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbs_up.gif

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Due to my wanting the car ASAP, Sport Chrono is out. We receive our first 2007 allocation (base Cayman's aside) this week. Unfortunately that puts our first 2007's arriving between late October and December. We're going to try to trade an already built 2007 Cayman S for one of our allocation slots. Of the already-built CS's Sport Chrono is not an option for me, but PASM is.

I have driven cars with and without PASM back to back. I like it, but started this thread to hear what people with it had to say about it. So far, I appreciate the responses /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbs_up.gif

First of all welcome! Second of all......do some searches on this topic if possible......there are many threads concerning both.

My opinion in a nutshell..........you don't need either. I've driven all the combinations possible and still think the base CS suspension and throttle response is perfect. Unless you have a specific need for PASM......save the money. Probably one of the best CS's you can own is a very lightly optioned one. The performance difference between a fully loaded CS with all the so called performance geegaws and a bare bones version is very minimal. The CS in any form was made for highly spirited driving......period.

In the end, drive 'em all and make the choice your own!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Most people seem to recommend PASM if you're going for the 19-inchers.

My car is on the standard 18's and I chose PASM and SC as well. Very happy with it. I do 95% of my road driving in PASM normal, SC on.

PASM sport is pretty good on the track (did a trackday recently in my car, the car rolled and floateda lot morein PASM normal) but I'd only recommend it on road if you're going very quickly on a smooth road.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I have 18' wheels and both aPASM and SC. It's like having two different cars and I would not have it any other way here in the US. On perfect Swiss (and maybe German) roads though, I might not use the 'normal' setting as much as I do here on our horrendous roads in the norteastern US.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My car has non pasm suspension and 19' wheels.I chose this set up as I thought pasm normal was too soft and pasm sport was unusable due to the quality of the local roads.Pasm or not, as all other options is a personal choice,try before you buy and make up your own mind. J

·
Registered
125 Posts
I recommend it. I like factory tuned Porsche when it comes to suspension. Now for the sport chrono, I was doing some spirited driving, redline at every gear, then my son just pressed the sports button from on to off. All of a sudden the motor somehow felt the timing has retarded. Wow!!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My opinion in a nutshell..........you don't need either. I've driven all the combinations possible and still think the base CS suspension and throttle response is perfect. Unless you have a specific need for PASM......save the money. Probably one of the best CS's you can own is a very lightly optioned one.

I think I'm leaning this way. If I find the perfect car and it has PASM, I certainly won't cry.

Thanks for all your responses everyone /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/regular_smile.gif

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I ordered mine early and took delivery Jan. 12. My only options were PASM, Sport Chrono and model designation delete.

I am VERY happy with these options for a performance capable car without mods. Just returned from VIR, instructing for CAR GUYS and again am amazed how good this car is on the track.

I use the Sport mode, with PSM off, only for track and autocross and think they are a great help with both. However, I almost never use either elsewhere.

My '98 Boxster has the MO30 suspension which is rather stiff all the time, as you know. The first trip to an autocross in the CS felt about half the distance it usuallydid in the Boxster. Apparently because the normal mode is that much more comfortable forregular travel. Yet in Sport mode with PSM off it becomes a tiger!

Expensive options to be sure, but worth it in my opinion if you plan any track or autocross.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks geezer. We're working on things, and will let you all know which way I ended up going. I think everyone can agree that even a non-optioned Cayman S is still a hell of a machine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have 19s, Sport Chronos, PASM & PCCB. I drive with SC on most of the time. It is a different car. I put on PASM in the twisties. These three options are my favorite. Ididn't notice much of a difference while test driving the car, but after lots of time behind the wheel....it's a different story. If I had it to do again I would option the car the same way.

I agree that the stock car is probably the best package across the board, all things considered.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

Edited by - mission beach on 08/09/2006 10:06:37 AM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts