Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some unfortunate happened while installing the subwoofer, the Tech accidentally deployed passenger air bag. Luckily he was not hurt.

The shop is willing to pay full replacement including labor through my Porsche dealer.

My question: do you also replace the door trim panel?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Bummer! I agree with the above, follow the dealership recommendations.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Agree with above comments.

But odd that the airbag deployed. I believe it has redundant senors to prevent spurious deployments. Did the tech say what he did to cause the incident?

Must have shorted something out?

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Tech triggered it while testing speaker output wire in the passenger footwell wire harness and shop is paying for new airbag, new door trim panel, and labor through their ICBC Garage Operation Insurance, $5K CAD (including taxes) to my Porsche dealer.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You might want to get a document from them stating the deployment was not accident related. This may come in handy when it's time to sell.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I am not at fault, no records against me in the Insurance Corp. of British Columbia will be kept and I plan to keep my car forever. It is not like a body or suspension damage or dent that deters buyers but nevertheless, I will keep the service record from Porsche.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Some unfortunate happened while installing the subwoofer, the Tech accidentally deployed passenger air bag. Luckily he was not hurt.

The shop is willing to pay full replacement including labor through my Porsche dealer.

My question: do you also replace the door trim panel?
Not sure, but I think the only safeguard against this is disconnecting the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe he disconnected the battery while installing power cable lines but the CDR31 CD Receiver has to be powered ON for him to test signal. He should have more faith in the wire color coding to ID speaker level output.
The new airbag and passenger side door trim panel were installed by my Porsche dealer this morning and car smells like new again (maybe from the new panel).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.