Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a complaint, just trying to figure out how to fix this.

My passenger airbag light comes on in the cold (under 3c) and then refuses to go off until the car interior heats right up to 21c.

Nobody seated in the seat. Nothing on the seat. Doing up the seatbelt also does nothing.

It only happens when I park on the street when it's cold. In heated garages no problem.

I've moved the seat around to see if the sensor's stuck somehow.

Any guesses?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Cold weathered ghost?:hilarious:
Sorry... I have no clue on how to help... Is your car under warranty? If so I would make a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Make sure that your seat isn't forced all the way back against the engine firewall. There is a known issue where excessive pressure against the seat back will cause this. Moving the seat forward just one notch completely solves the typical problem.

If this doesn't fix it, post again with more details. Which light are we talking about? When it's cold and the light is lit, does sitting in the seat and putting on the seatbelt make it turn off? It is possible that the weight sensor in the seat is flawed and at cold temps is failing. I believe this sets codes that the dealer or a Durametrics unit will read.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Not a complaint, just trying to figure out how to fix this.

My passenger airbag light comes on in the cold (under 3c) and then refuses to go off until the car interior heats right up to 21c.

Nobody seated in the seat. Nothing on the seat. Doing up the seatbelt also does nothing.

It only happens when I park on the street when it's cold. In heated garages no problem.

I've moved the seat around to see if the sensor's stuck somehow.

Any guesses?
That is a seat belt sensor problem, its happened to me with 2 Boxsters prior to owning a Cayman S.

Cheers

·
Registered
992 Posts
On this topic, does anyone know the weight threshold for airbag activation? I was driving around with a friend last night and noticed that the airbags were off the whole time she was sitting down.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Maybe the light is just trying to stay warm.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
when the wife and i broke the car in the light said "git sum"

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Like you asked just a guess.I wonder if the battery amperes are dropping when cold.I have discovered that one of the first things to "throw a code" in low voltage/amp situations is the air bag warning light........Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure that your seat isn't forced all the way back against the engine firewall. There is a known issue where excessive pressure against the seat back will cause this. Moving the seat forward just one notch completely solves the typical problem.

That seems to be the fix. No more light on. :banana:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts