Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the thing that everybody dreads happened to me, and my CPO 2014 Boxster was involved in an accident, just a few months after getting it. Fortunately nobody was injured, but there is some very noticeable damage.

My passenger door is dented pretty badly, exhibiting a complex creasing pattern on the right half of about 1ft x 1ft, under the side mirror. While wiping away the dirt, it seemed that I was at least so lucky to not have the paint damaged, but no such actual luck: There is a deep scratch on the lower part of the door.

Other than that the car is mostly fine. The side mirror magically gave away and looks a bit dirty, but intact. I do not think there is any damage to the frame, unless it is likely to happen from such an impact. No air bag deployment, no other noticeable problems.

Any rough estimate how costly this will be? And how much my car diminishes in value? I did not plan on selling it any time soon, but it sucks anyway. Also, I'm really not looking forward on what this does to my insurance premiums, bye bye California Good Driver discount.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those doors are aluminum, harder for the dent guys to work out. don't be surprised if the best option is just to replace the entire door. only about $900 for the parts i think. but then all the paint and everything. Unless the body shop is extremely confident with their repair work on aluminium, i'd advice just getting the door replaced.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Those doors are aluminum, harder for the dent guys to work out. don't be surprised if the best option is just to replace the entire door. only about $900 for the parts i think. but then all the paint and everything. Unless the body shop is extremely confident with their repair work on aluminium, i'd advice just getting the door replaced.
+1 I would not take anything less than a new door

·
Registered
66 Posts
I understand, thanks. Will a new door come painted by the factory? Or will the shop still have to paint it, with lower quality paint because it cannot be baked in a high temperature?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Don't sweat it man. I wouldn't make a claim against it until you find out how much it's going to be. Other posters are probably correct, you probably just need a new door and some touch up paint and blending.

A couple of weeks ago my automatic gate malfunctioned and closed on my car as I was driving through it. $3k damage in scratches and paint. It goes to the shop for the repairs Wednesday. This is just automobile ownership.

I like to think about all the awesome restorations that have been done on cars like the 356. Many of those cars are complete junk when the resto starts and are worth hundreds of thousands when complete. If adding paint to a car was a disaster Sotheby's wouldn't exist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
42 Posts
I understand, thanks. Will a new door come painted by the factory? Or will the shop still have to paint it, with lower quality paint because it cannot be baked in a high temperature?
New door will not come painted, the shop will want/need to repaint a lot of the side of your car to blend things in correctly. If no other work had ever been done, you might be able to still be CPO'ed status. I think it is more than three panels getting painted fails that mark. But either way, this is probably the best thing you can do for your car in the long run.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Take it to several high end repair shops and get some estimates. There could be varying options depending on the abilities of the shop. Look at their work, what they're working on (any high end cars?), etc. Then make your decision (doesn't necessarily have to be the lowest priced one).

Don't go to cheapo places like Maaco.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Call your local Porsche dealer and find out who they use.

Reactions: RickH and mrg02d

·
Registered
703 Posts
+1 Porsche has a certification process for body shops and requires specialized training. Find one nearby and start there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
A Porsche certified shop will use the same paint and process Porsche does. or that's what I've been told.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why not? I thought factory paint gets baked at very high temperatures, that seem impractical for even good body shops?
My point was the water-based crap they use today to meet environmental requirements is so bad, a body shop would be hard pressed to find a lower quality paint, and no amount of baking is going to make it better.

Reactions: canux

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
My point was the water-based crap they use today to meet environmental requirements is so bad, a body shop would be hard pressed to find a lower quality paint, and no amount of baking is going to make it better.
Not to be inflammatory (baking not included... pun intended) but I looked at buying some Glasurit paint the factory uses, it is anything but cheap, even the water used is special, IIRC a quart with base/clear and all hardeners was like $500...

You may have a hard time finding a shop that uses factory paint... this is a refinishing type of repair and most shops have their chosen brand of paint even for Porsches.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Not to be inflammatory (baking not included... pun intended) but I looked at buying some Glasurit paint the factory uses, it is anything but cheap, even the water used is special, IIRC a quart with base/clear and all hardeners was like $500...

You may have a hard time finding a shop that uses factory paint... this is a refinishing type of repair and most shops have their chosen brand of paint even for Porsches.
Buying factory paint won't give you the durability of a factory paint job, unless you have a giant oven ;)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
My recommendation is to get the car checked. You didn't mention what kind of accident, or what you hit. By your description (mud, etc), sounds like an off-road excursion to me, which could lead to expensive suspension damage (an alignment would reveal that), even if car feels fine. And maybe other damage, like broken rocker panels, underbody panels, etc. With modern cars, you can never assume nothing else is wrong. Then, and only then, decide if you want to pay out of pocket or make a claim. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My recommendation is to get the car checked. You didn't mention what kind of accident, or what you hit. By your description (mud, etc), sounds like an off-road excursion to me
Where did I mention mud, or what else did I say that sounded like it was off-road? Why would I take a Boxster off-road anyway? It was a traffic accident on paved streets. The dirt was mostly paint transfer. The car is in the body shop now, they are replacing the door.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.