Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a passenger in my Cayman and that's been a good thing as it turns out.

I had to make a hard braking maneuver yesterday and was surprised when the passenger seat-back swung forward. I have the 2-way Sport Seat Plus in my car. There are two connected levers on either side of the seat-back which unlock it.

So, I ran a quick functions test and sure enough, the seat-back isn't locking into place. The levers seems to be working. I poked around where the seat-back and seat-bottom connect and I could feel that the levers were actuating a spring catch mechanism. The motor that drives the seat-back angle makes noise when I move the switch, but the seat doesn't actually move.

Any thoughts? Anybody had a similar occurrence? Time to head back to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Yeah, that's not good.

Obvious question to be asked but just making certain...sorry. So, the seat back is all the way back and not hitting the fire wall before it can lock?

When I push up the lever on the side to lean the seat back forward, the levers stay in the up position. When I push the seat back to the locked position, the levers click to the down position and there's a definite "click" ensuring that it's locked. I'm assuming none of this happens in your case?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat back never locks and can move from the firewall all the way to the dash (range of motion doesn't reach the dash though).

Apparently the seat back has been resting against the firewall this whole time. It wasn't until this weekend that I had it fly forward, alerting me to the issue.

I've always kept the passenger seat bottom as far back as possible. So the seat back resting on the firewall looks like the normal position.

Everything looks like it is working, the two levers function and actuate the spring catch mechanism. They don't drop down and lock into place though.

I drove to the dealer today and the service manager took a look. He played around with the seat controls for a few minutes and was baffled, said he had never seen this before. He cannot get me in for service until the 29th.

At least I don't need a new engine...

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
At least you learned about it the easy way.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This happened to me a few years ago and I do not know what was wrong, but I fiddled with it for a while and suddenly it worked properly. Has been OK ever since. It's like one of those things where you take something apart, find nothing wrong, put it back together and it works fine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts