Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drive the '07 CS (Tipronic Tranny) 65-70mph, I use the auto mode and it's at 5th gear. To pass a slower car, I stomp on the pedal and hell breaks lose!:eek: I think it jumps down two or three gears lower and the the Cayman S violently reacts with a deafening noise!
If I gently depress the pedal, the pass is smoother (albeit slower).

What gives?

My '06 CS with 6-speed at same situations passes fast and smooth.

--Hal

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "what gives". That's the computer reacting to the style of your driving. The more aggressive your imputs, the computer will react accordingly, changing down more gears, holding a gear longer. That's how Tiptronic works, it's not just an automatic.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I have an '06 with Tip and when I mash the peddle it does exactly what I want... kicks down a couple gears, makes a loud sound and flies by whatever it is I want to get around. No complaints here!!

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
"Stomp" on go pedal = give me power now!!

Yea, really! . . . What are you complaining about?! ;) Did you pass cars in 6th gear in manual, or downshift to pass?

Actually, if you want to try something different, try this: if you just blip the throttle slightly in auto mode, it will downshift from 5->4, if blip a little more forcefully it will go from 5->3, and stay there for about 8 sec; or, you can just use the steering wheel buttons to downshift to 4 or 3 if you want to pass someone. In any case, the tip computer is just trying to help you out by getting you into the power band above 3-4K RPMS (which is also where the Variocam kicks in, hence the louder sound).

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have an '06 with Tip and when I mash the peddle it does exactly what I want... kicks down a couple gears, makes a loud sound and flies by whatever it is I want to get around. No complaints here!!
Insightful in how Porsche programmed their Tiptronic S. I have a manual 6 speed. Sometimes I go down from 6th to 4th and roll the window down just to hear the Variocam kick in. Wow what a sound. Ed

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your inputs. I'm used to driving manual transmisions all my life because I LIKE manual. I got the Tipronic for my wife to experience the Cayman experience and she loves, but she does not enjoy manual trannies.

So....I assumed it was a typical auto trans, when you pass, stomp on the pedal and it goes into one gear lower ("passing gear"). I now know the Tip is a lot different! The noise annoyed my wife and thought her Cayman was "falling apart" and I was "abusing it". The reaction is different if you are not used to it.

Thanks!

--Hal

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've got a '99 Boxster with Tip and when I want to pass I press the pedal to the medal and get pushed back in the seat as the car leaps forward and I get to hear that fabulous throaty exhaust sound.:banana:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, Ya if you push down on the gas enough the car will obviously drop into a lower gear. The (2) problems that I have with the tip (no pdk) is that one; the car at 37mph is already in 5th. and two, that the computer's inconcistant ability to adapt to the proper driving habits of the driver. It seems that every time you drive it its reaction to the push of the accelerator is completely different. I also think that the comments of, " well the computer and ecru have to get used to your driveing habits " is over used to cover up Porsche's ability to come up with programming or gearing that can be used by an everyday joe or tracked by an enthusiast. Due to the inability of this, I have to drive (70%) of the time in manual mode. I have been very disappointed in this aspect of the car.(2008 c.s./w tipp, evoms, ipd plenum, under dr pulley, vflow, de-snork, fab speed full exhaust) Overall, if I had know about the faults in this trans. I would have gotten a manuel because, I truly think this car has the potential to be one of the best......

·
Registered
48 Posts
The DCTs being used by Porsche, MB, BMW, and Ferrari are cosmic leaps of advancement in transmissions, even though it took Porsche/Getrag a long time to get it working correctly.

I enjoy manual boxes as much as the next guy, but let's face it: there is no method of changing gears that is more inefficient and time consuming than a manual clutch and the extended H pattern on a floor shifter lever.

·
Registered
121 Posts
point well taken but, this the thing. My wife has a acura rdx. Now this thing has a automatic/manuel trans. with paddle shifters and that thing is exactly where it should be when at a certain speed. the only thing is that, i don't know if any power/tork relevance that there might that might make it easier for that car to do that or not. That car did have an influence on me when i purchased the c.s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts