Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont get me wrong, a nicely detailed, mirror finish porsche is something to behold. BUT, on many occasion, I have found myself admiring a grimy porsche (most often my Cayman) thinking to myself what an awesome sports car that functions so well as a daily driver. There is something about the brake dust and road grime dulling down the looks of the car that makes me respect its heritage and ruggedness and its ultimate design for use. They are not hangar queens, and were never meant to be. Take them out, thrash them around, drive them to the grocer's, and then do the same in the winter. You could strip a porsche down to the bare metal and streak it with stains, etc, but as long as its underpinnings are good, I could drive one with a smile all day long.

Does anyone else get what I am trying to say?

·
Registered
91 Posts
...yet another example of how beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some guys like Ginger....Some Maryann...Some, Mr. Howell!

I totally get what you mean about the rough-and-tumble look. But for me, the most satisfying part of that is wiping away the grime to reveal the treasure underneath.

Ain't life grand?

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
At this year's Porsche Parade on Colorado it took me one day to drive to Keystone from LV, and early the next morning after a late afternoon arrival, I dutifully went to one of the PCA-provided car wash areas to wash and get the bugs off the front of my black CS. It didn't last long - there were afternoon and nighttime showers all week, along with the morning dew that comes with highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s. I just let it go all week and drove it back to LV at the end of Parade - it looked well-used (or perhaps used well) to me.

About 3 1/2 years ago (01-22-2006, 02:11 PM ) I posted this story that also illustrates the same point of "Porsche patina" -

On the last night of the 2004 Porsche Parade in Ft. Worth TX, I was driving my 996 turbo from downtown out to the Texas Motorspeedway (TMS) for the final night's awards banquet. My black car was filthy and bug splattered from the previous two days of driving in the autocross competition and the driver's education event at the TMS. I pulled out and passed a Porsche Cayenne filled with well dressed people. When I got to TMS, I parked, and as I was walking up to where the banquet was being held, the Cayenne was there, unloading its occupants, one of whom I recognized as Hans Peter Porsche, the current family patriarch. I went up and introduced myself and thanked him for producing such a great car as the Porsche turbo, which I enjoy driving so much. He asked if that was me that passed them on the freeway, and when I answered yes, thinking he was going to say something about how dirty the car was, he said back to me, 'good, we like to see them very, very dirty... it means you drive the car... we like them to be driven.' I said thank you and went into the banquet knowing the man who's name is on the cars wants them to be driven like they were meant to be....
brad

·
Registered
164 Posts
So today I detailed my car for the first time since I bought it in March. Thanks to Adam's Polishes (detail spray and clay bar), I discovered several suface scratches on my front bumper and front hood near the emblem. I can't think of anything that could have caused them, so I'm guessing they were on the car when I bought it but didn't notice them. I cringed at the sight of the them, but then I looked over to my ivory white '65 912 which has it's original paint complete with knicks, dings, and aged patina. I realized that battle scars add character. I admit that garage queens are nice too look at, but there's something to say about a Porsche that's been used and enjoyed.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Brad,

Great story and I can attest to the Parade conditions (and I washed mine two different mornings at 6 AM and it still looked filthy when we left). Keeping it clean is more a cathartic experience for me. One hour, alone, no phone, no interruptions, taking care of something I really enjoy. When I'm done I feel like I'm ready to drive it again.

raig

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks for the reflections on the Ft Worth parade. Porsches were made to be driven. Clean is fine but driven is better. Ed

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have been telling myself I am going to wash and wax the cayman pretty soon for the last four months.

It rained heavy last night. That counts.;)

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Thank you Brad for sharing that wonderful story.

But in my case when I love something I pamper it and take care of it... that the way I treat my Porsche.

·
Vendor
2,474 Posts
I get it -

My 930 doesn't get washed religiously, in fact I quite admire the rougher look.
At the same time, when she is all shiny ... wOw.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My Cayman doesn't get driven in rain or snow, but my former '01 Boxster was a daily driver for three years. I often thought that it never looked prettier than when it covered with frost on a winter evening, lit by the front coach and house lights. It reminded me of a designer's clay model. All of the organic-looking sculpture was subtly accented. That being said, it's also nice to drive a freshly-detailed Porsche (or anything else that you like, for that matter!). 987f

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Thank you Brad for sharing that wonderful story.

But in my case when I love something I pamper it and take care of it... that the way I treat my Porsche.
You're welcome - I do wash and detail the car when I get it home from events, although I haven't yet this time - but I'll do it this week. Then, it will sit in the garage, finely detailed under a cover (with battery tender attached) waiting for its next outing - a day of hard running at Laguna Seca on Aug. 17th, the day after the Monterey Historic races.

brad

·
Registered
128 Posts
Talking about patina, I could not resist to mention my 78-930 with its 30+ year old paint job and obvious Porsche patina. The CS is the daily driver and gets washed regularly; on the contrary, the 930 gets washed MAY BE once a year and driven often as it should be - hard - however it's cleaner than the CS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts