Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday I'm going into my dealer to finalize my paperwork for my ED CGTS which I pick up next month in Zuffenhausen.

What are the items I need to be aware of?

My financing will be in place for Friday and I'll have my checkbook ready for the rest of it.
I'm already aware there's an $80 documentation fee, which as I understand is really just additional profit for the dealer.

What other items will the dealer try to sell me? Anything I should actually consider? It seems like the prepaid maintenance plans I've seen posted here are not generally a good value.

I'm not looking forward to walking out $9x,000 poorer on Friday and still not have my car but at least it's a step closer! :beer:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
That is one of the negatives of ED - having to pay for it in advance. Funniest thing is Porsche used to offer a 10% discount if ED was selected. e.g., the 1986 Club Sport 944 Turbo was about $26k net + options, with a 10% of the full MSRP if u took ED. U did not have to drive it on Europe to get the discount, but u did have to show up at the factory and sign in to get the 10% off. Not many of today's young Porsche afficianados are aware of this bit of Porsche history.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Back in the day, there was probably some tax or tariff loophole or something that made this possible. Maybe there was a big import fee savings on importing a used car vs. a new one. I'm betting they didn't just give this discount out of the kindness of their hearts. :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
You need to understand if the dealer will ask for the VAT up front. If the car stays in Europe longer than 6months, they or you have to pay the VAT. Many dealers collect the VAT up front and reimburse you once the car arrives back in the states. My dealer didn't collect the VAT from me but many other dealers do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to understand if the dealer will ask for the VAT up front. If the car stays in Europe longer than 6months, they or you have to pay the VAT. Many dealers collect the VAT up front and reimburse you once the car arrives back in the states. My dealer didn't collect the VAT from me but many other dealers do.
Thanks. I did have the VAT discussion already - sadly they will collect and cash the check for the 19% VAT.

From a financial perspective, here's what I expect:

Price of the car
+ 19% VAT
+ taxes
+ license fees
+ $80 doc fees

I guess what I'm wondering is this - beyond the standard items I just listed, what else are they going to surprise me with on the spot? Extended warranties, Fargo-style True Coat, prepaid maintenance, etc? My typical reaction is to immediately decline anything they try to push, but I'd rather be aware of what to actually expect.

And I've had a few people ask me if I were getting a discount for ED, which always surprised me - it actually costs Porsche (or maybe the dealership, who claims it costs them about $3k) some real amount for hotels, transfers, insurance, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I recall discussions about mounting the (even temp) Euro front license plate -- by drilling holes in your front bumper... apparently, no way around this ...
might try and arrange for a tow-hook mounting system??
D

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Thanks. I did have the VAT discussion already - sadly they will collect and cash the check for the 19% VAT.

From a financial perspective, here's what I expect:

Price of the car
+ 19% VAT
+ taxes
+ license fees
+ $80 doc fees

I guess what I'm wondering is this - beyond the standard items I just listed, what else are they going to surprise me with on the spot? Extended warranties, Fargo-style True Coat, prepaid maintenance, etc? My typical reaction is to immediately decline anything they try to push, but I'd rather be aware of what to actually expect.

And I've had a few people ask me if I were getting a discount for ED, which always surprised me - it actually costs Porsche (or maybe the dealership, who claims it costs them about $3k) some real amount for hotels, transfers, insurance, etc.
I got 5% off with ED, no documentation fees and no upfront VAT. I wouldn't expect any additional fees. However, call your SA and make him commit to an out the door cost. The dealers do pay $3000 for ED but they get an additional allocation from PCNA as compensation.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
174 Posts
In my experience Porsche dealers are relatively honest by car sales standards and recognize they're dealing with sophisticated buyers, so they don't try to hose you with worthless add-ons. They will probably offer a tire warranty and something like Xpel clearcoat covering. Both are actually worth considering, depending on your situation (where you drive, how long you plan on keeping the car, etc.). I can't think of anything else they'd offer that would be worth considering (I agree that the maintenance plans are generally not worth it). Good luck!

Reactions: mallocfailure

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Wheel/tire insurance worth considering if it's reasonably priced. I've got it for $400, which paid for itself with just one tire change! The rest of what dealers offer is usually not making any sense to buy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got 5% off with ED, no documentation fees and no upfront VAT. I wouldn't expect any additional fees. However, call your SA and make him commit to an out the door cost. The dealers do pay $3000 for ED but they get an additional allocation from PCNA as compensation.
So just to clarify. In USA dealers pay the extra for ED and not the purchaser?
So the only cost for the customer for ED is the flights to Germany?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So just to clarify. In USA dealers pay the extra for ED and not the purchaser?
So the only cost for the customer for ED is the flights to Germany?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's correct. My dealer says it costs them roughly $3k, which they also mention every time we discuss discounts :wall: But there are no direct out of pocket costs for ED other than flights, and Porsche even offers a travel agent with discounts off Lufthansa flights to help you in your journey.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wheel/tire insurance worth considering if it's reasonably priced. I've got it for $400, which paid for itself with just one tire change! The rest of what dealers offer is usually not making any sense to buy.
Thanks - that's one I might consider that I hadn't even thought about!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts