Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just wondering, what brakes do you all recommend for the track?

How long do the PCCB rotors cost and how long do they last?
How long do the pads last on the PCCB rotors? How much do they cost?

Gonna place a deposit on a GT3 very soon and I want to have a plan for which brakes I should get.

I will be tracking the car 1-2 times per month.

Sincerely,
Stephen

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
You are looking at a used GT3, right? If you want a new one you better be prepared to wait a few years for the .2.

·
Registered
245 Posts
There seems to be a big difference between the newest 3rd gen compound on the 991 GT3/ RS/ GT4 /991 turbo / 918 vs all the earlier cars.

I will be tracking my new PCCBs on a GT4 and will document wear very carefully. Some other folks on RL are doing the same. I would just caution people not to draw conclusions from the earlier PCCBs. The jury is still out on the new ones.

I'm also following some folks with M4's with a similar type of material. So far those also seem much better than earlier versions. The M4 and the 991 turbo are heavier cars, of course.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think the decision on this feature depends a lot on how you plan to use the car. For me, this is not a dedicated track car. One, my schedule doesn't allow me that luxury any more. Two, if it did, I'd go buy or build a racecar instead and have fun!

For me the GT4 is a car that will see around 10 track days a year, and probably 50 days of driving on the street. Plus I'll drive the car to (and, ideally, from!) the tracks around here.

So given that 50 to 10 ratio, I optioned the car with a heavy emphasis on things that I find are useful on the street. My dealer let me test 991s with and without PCCB and I find the suppleness it adds to the suspension useful on the street.

If this were a pure track car or if the ratio were reversed, I'd probably change my order to the normal brakes. The normal brakes should be totally awesome on the track and cheap (relatively) to maintain. Plus you get more fun pad options.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So 24 to 48 track days a year right? I was anticipating similar use and went with the iron rotors. Have read that the latest PCCBs are better, but have also read the PCA article on replacement costs (by Orthojoe on Rennlist). I also know I'm a little clumsy working on the car and with wheel swaps etc. probably only a matter of time before I would chip a PCCB rotor. Also the 991 calipers have to come off to replace pads so more risk -at least for me. I think for a street only GT3 or with just a few DE events a year the PCCBs would be a good choice.

edit- I see Suncoast doesn't yet list the PCCB rotors on their site. But 997 GT3 PCCB rotors are about $20k for a full set front and rear. Yikes!

·
Vendor
2,467 Posts
I'd go ahead and get PCCB. We have TRACK PADS MADE FOR THE PORSCHE PCCB ROTORS - THE RSC1 by Pagid!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My dad has a 991 GT3 and we've tracked it together. The steel brakes are incredible and I can't imagine PCCB would perform noticeably better. The PCCB rotors are supposed to last 100k miles on the street but wear similarly, although slightly longer, to steel brakes when used on the track. The big difference is in replacement cost. PCCB rotors and pads on all four corners will cost you $17,000. To me, it's a no-brainer. If you track a GT3 or GT4, get the steel brakes. I admit I haven't had personal experience with Porsche PCCB, but as I said the steel brakes are so good I don't know how'd you'd justify the added expense for track use.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is a 991 GT3 who is measuring their brake rotor wear with track use. Currently they numbers show that they will need new disks within 1000 track miles. This works out to over $25 per mile for brake rotors, while brake pads will also be more expensive since the recommendation is to change them when half-worn. It's also not clear you'll feel any performance difference. Bottom line, PCCBs still don't look compatible with the track. See here for more details: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-gt4-ordering-configurations/105342-gt4-pccb-post954031.html#post954031

1 - 13 of 13 Posts