Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2008 RS60 Spyder last spring. The original equipment was a CDR24/BOSE. The owner had installed a Pioneer deck along with the Nav TV MOST HUR. As cool as it looked, I really didn't like it soon after I bought the car, well the sound system anyway. lol. I realize I could have changed the deck for a minimal cost if that was the only thing that bothered me, as I found that while driving I had such a hard time making any adjustments to something as simple as the volume because the tiny volume control on it was right next to the "Mode" selection on the touch screen. I love to engage the sport suspension, so as you can expect, any little bump in the road made it a bit of a challenge to not touch the screen, switching the mode.

The thing I really didn't like that I know I would not have been able to do anything about, was the fact that I had no control over the BOSE system, no fade, and as well I had not control over the rear sub. It was the combination of these dislikes that convinced me to take the unit out. I then purchased a PCM 2.1 off of EBAY, part number 997.642.143.02, installed it. I then took it to my local Porsche dealer to have it coded for my car. They indicated that they could not get the car to recognize it. I found this hard to believe, after 4 hours of service, they gave up and told me it would match. I even gave them what I think is the correct VIN off of the vehicle the PCM2.1 came off of, and they still could not get it to go.

I recently had a chat with Suncoast about this issue. They were fairly forthcoming with information. They, like me found it hard to believe that my dealer could not get it coded over to my car, however when they looked up my VIN, and looked at the part number of my PCM 2.1 997.642.143.02, they said that while it should work logically, it did not show up as a clear match, ie it did not light up yellow on their screen.

Have you ever heard of people having issues like this? Suncoast says they have a unit that would work without issue, however at $4K, I want to make sure I have covered all my angles before I drop that cash to them. The other issue I am flirting with as well is to completely replace the whole system, new amps, new head unit etc.

I would love to hear your opinions

·
Registered
85 Posts
Problem is, that there are sneaky little version differentiations in the electronic parts and software.
I had the same with the steering wheel controls.
My car came without them and I bought a set of controls from an other car.
It all worked out in the end but the dealer said there are three versions of the controls, which you never read about when you are looking for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Barwaut, is there any way I could tell from another PCM 2.1 off of the part number? The easiest for me would be to get a different one and resell the one I purchased.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll trade my pcm 2.1 for your most hur. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Found this in another thread:
There were actually 2 PCM2.1B revision units for the Boxster (B-units play mp3's) that didn't have amplifiers built in...

997.642.143.03 and 997.642.143.02 are the two.

997.642.141.02,.03 can be used with either sound system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts