Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i just finished putting in a PCM 2.1 unit in my CS and while I was pulling the CDR out, i noticed that the radio must have previously been stolen (or something along those lines). the cage holding the unit was roughed up and some of the wires behind the unit were cut and taped back to an OEM harness. i put in the PCM unit and it appears to work, but i do have a couple questions to those to did this retrofit.

1. my car only had 4 plugs (the article written by K-Man had 5). the optical plug, antenna plug, and two black plugs (the brown plug in K-Man's article was missing in mine). is this normal for a CDR-24 Bose car?

2. is the car's time in the gauge cluster and the time in the PCM supposed to automatically sync up or do i have to set the times individually?

thanks for your time everyone.

- mike

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I can't answer #1. But as for #2, yes if you set the time in the gauge cluster, the time shown on the PCM will be the same.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. :) i went to the car this morning and changed the time in the gauge cluster and yes, my PCM unit also changed its time to match the gauge cluster.

everything appears to be working... i'm still curious why i had 4 connectors while K-Man's had 5. perhaps its because his was not bose equipped?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
DId you install the navigation system too? Or just the PCM2.1 ?

I've been thinking about upgrading from CDR24 to a PCM2.1, but would like to get the navigation working also.

I wasn't sure what parts were needed.

PCM 2.1 head unit
Navigation system w/ DVD
Fiber optic cable to link them
bracket to mount Nav system in trunk
satellite antenna

Anything else ?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Probably the easiest answer to that is call Suncoast. I believe they kit it up for you based on what you want and your VIN.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
If you have gone from CDR to PCM your car windshield will not have the 'diversity' antennas fitted so you will not have the additional wiring to the back of the PCM.

It shouldn't really affect your use of the PCM in the US.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info, Nick. I can confirm that i have not lost any functionality w/ PCM installed.

i only swapped in a PCM unit for the CDR-24. i didn't go through the rest of the navigation install... and i doubt i will (mobile GPS units seem superior in all ways other than OEM integration... my nexus one works flawlessly for me). from what i've read in the articles posted on this site though, it looks like you have the correct list to get navigation functionality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The difference in wiring has to be because of the Bose equipment. I noticed the same thing when I added the PCM to my Boxster. I guess the missing cable goes directly to the speakers or to an amp whereas the Bose amp that is hooked to the fiber loop.

DanM

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
The odd part is that vice-versa doesn't work. In other words, you can't set the pcm clock and have it apply to the gauge cluster.

I can't answer #1. But as for #2, yes if you set the time in the gauge cluster, the time shown on the PCM will be the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts