Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 PDK CS has problems with the PCM 3.0 unit. First, the XM comes on every time I start the car even though I turn it off every time. 2nd in map mode it randomly resets (Porsche screen) then I have to hit the Nav confirm screen, then the map comes back...and XM comes on again. The dealer tried the software recall fix and if anything, it got worse! They also tried replacing the PCM unit, but couldn't get it to accept the programming codes...so they put my old unit back in. Now it doesn't even function as well as it did before I took it in (Bluetooth phone function is now goofy). The dealer has a service ticket in with Porsche. Apparently the rep said they are aware that this problem exists in some cars. So far no fix!!! I'm more than a little miffed because this car was a Porsche company car driven 8K mile by the service rep in our region! Didn't he notice? Is anyone else having similar issues?
:helpme:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems.

Is your car a 09 or '10?

My 2010 doesn't seem to have a PCM problem (hope so).

I'm going to try the nav tmrw (never did) and see if it resets by itself.

Hope they get it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
My 2009 PDK CS has problems with the PCM 3.0 unit. First, the XM comes on every time I start the car even though I turn it off every time.
This is one thing that peeves me about the PCM 3.0 unit - there's no good way to turn the radio/CD/XM/AUX off and keep it off. Whenever I start up the car, some audio always comes on, whether it's the CD, radio, etc. even if I've turned PCM off or pressed the left knob to mute the audio.

I'm not having the other issues you're describing, though. It definitely sounds like your unit is malfunctioning.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
With respect to the audio activating upon starting, I found if I turned the volume to minimum before switching off the car, it will only start up with the last volume setting. This doesn't solve OP problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
With respect to the audio activating upon starting, I found if I turned the volume to minimum before switching off the car, it will only start up with the last volume setting. This doesn't solve OP problem.
The only problem I see with doing this is that lowering the volume also lowers the volume of the Bluetooth hands-free system as well as the navigation voice prompts.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Yes, it's a problem...quick question, playing a DVD whist driving can DVD audio be heard ? I realize the DVD can't be viewed.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
The volume for the TV is a lot softer than the radio so swapping back and forth is a problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just got a 2009 Cayman with PCM 3.0. For two weeks things ok....but strange things have happened: While driving along with MAP view...it goes away and Porsche logo appears...this has happened several times; sometimes my iphone won't sync with PCM...says it can't find my find...I check and bluetooth is activate and phone works; then I thought I would go in and delete all the other phones that had been sync'd with my car prior to my purschase....I am told that the delete process failed....and has done so a number of times....

Also, how can I find out which version of maps/software is on the car?
John

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Also, how can I find out which version of maps/software is on the car?
John
The answer to this is in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I asked about that when I got the car 4 weeks ago....then they checked it out about a week after that....but something is amiss....going to have them check it out again tomorrow morning...
John

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is one thing that peeves me about the PCM 3.0 unit - there's no good way to turn the radio/CD/XM/AUX off and keep it off. Whenever I start up the car, some audio always comes on, whether it's the CD, radio, etc. even if I've turned PCM off or pressed the left knob to mute the audio.
I was so bothered by this in my 3 day old 2010 S that I was driven to look it up in the book: Presto! Try pressing and holding the on/off volume knob for 2 seconds or so and you'll find that PCM goes away completely.

Babbo

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I was so bothered by this in my 3 day old 2010 S that I was driven to look it up in the book: Presto! Try pressing and holding the on/off volume knob for 2 seconds or so and you'll find that PCM goes away completely.

Babbo
That's not a solution. When you turn PCM off, you also turn off the Bluetooth and the Nav systems. I just want the ability to shut off the audio entertainment portion of PCM without affecting BT or Nav.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's not a solution. When you turn PCM off, you also turn off the Bluetooth and the Nav systems. I just want the ability to shut off the audio entertainment portion of PCM without affecting BT or Nav.
Sorry for misunderstanding your concern.

Since I have an appointment at the dealer next Thursday, I'll ask in service if this is possible.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Yes, it's a problem...quick question, playing a DVD whist driving can DVD audio be heard ? I realize the DVD can't be viewed.
Yes, audio track on a DVD can be heard. If you got the Bose system, be aware that if you play a DVD with 5.1 audio (DTS, Dolby etc.) the center (voice & vocals) track will be very low and the side/surround (music & effects) will be very loud. I have not found a way to adjust this.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
What happens if you select a sound source that you don't have plugged in? For example, if you have the universal interface, pick AUX? I think that has worked for me.

I realize this would be a kludge.

Even the latest PCM 3.0 vers 1.4 has this "issue".

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got an answer from the dealer...they said that Porsche is aware of the problem and the fix is to keep trying new PCM units until they get one that works properly. He said that sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. Unfortunately it appears that for some reason Porsche is not subject to our State's Lemon Laws!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hopefully problem solved....in spite of the fact that my purchase of the car was conditional on geting the latest 1.4 software update for my new 2009 Cayman, and that I had had problems with the unit....upon return to dealer this morning...they determined that the software had NEVER been updated from 1.3 to 1.4 (which is suppose to fix most of my problems)...that according to Porsche Service searching my VIN #...which showed NO outstanding campaign to update the car ....they did the update but it tells me that the sales folks didn't get it done....and that their service department won't do anything until/unless the owner complains....crazy process....only problem now is that the PCM won't let you delete cell phones that had previously been sync'd to the car....the service guys are going to check with PNA to see what gives....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems....

My issue is I can't seem to be able to adjust the volume of my cell phone calls when it is connected to PCM3.0 through Bluetooth. Is this possible?

I have a Blackberry and the volume is way too loud.

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
updating software on the PCM 3.0 to v1.4 seemed to fix most of the problems....it has acted up only once since the update....couldn't auto find my iphone in my pocket...but did fine when I manually located the phone ...

by the way new maps seem to be coming

1 - 20 of 25 Posts