Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just though I’d share my upgrade process/knowledge with you.

First, I bought an 09 CS off the lot with the standard CDR30 and Bose but it didn’t have bluetooth. As you all probably know, bluetooth is not an option the dealer can add to the CDR30 after it leaves the factory.

Reluctantly, due to the cost, I opted to upgrade to the PMC3.0 w/nav, bluetooth and universal audio kit. I also decided to install the short shift while the dealer had the console apart but that has nothing to do with the PCM3.0.

The PCM3.0 is coded at the factory to match the vin of the car it’s going into. To buy one second hand is a waste of money. If the PCM doesn’t recognize the vin when the unit is turned on, the unit will not work. I’m reasonable certain that the dealer is not in a position to change that. So buyer beware.

The installation of the equipment went very well but the activation is a different story. The PCM turned on right away so the radio and cd player worked pretty much out of the box. For the next two days the dealer kept asking for the nav, bluetooth and audio kit codes. The codes for the audio kit kept coming back as if I still had the CDR30 in the car. Anyhow, the dealer got the bluetooth up and running but was still fumbling with the nav and audio kit codes. A few days more and the nav part number for the correct installation disk arrived. How the dealer needed to get the disk, no big deal but another two days to wait. Still no codes for the audio kit. The codes themselves are electronic codes sent over the internet while the car is plugged into the computer.

On the seventh day, I received a call from the dealer saying everything was working except the audio kit. The service manager said he received a note from Porsche NA stating the problem with the audio kit codes lies in Germany. I’m told that I’m probably the first person to try this upgrade package on a cayman which why Porsche AG hasn’t worked out all the bugs. Here’s the problem, the mainframe at the factory still thinks I have the CDR unit in the car and that's why we’re not getting the correct codes. So, until the engineers at the factory figure out a way to change the cars “as built records” when an upgrade is performed, they will not receive the proper activation codes for the audio kit. Sweet, huh?

Since there is no word on when the patch will be finalized, I’m driving the car as is which is still pretty nice.

Anyhow that’s my story.

·
Registered
232 Posts
is this possible to for an '08 Cayman S 6-speed, w/ Sport Chrono, and Bose sound? i want navigation, and i'd much rather a touchscreen version w/o having to go aftermarket. also, would you mind sharing the cost of the unit plus installation? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
My 2009 CS PCM 3.0 unit was replaced because the software update recall didn't work. It took them 2 days to get the new one functioning properly, but everything works now. It also has XM, the audio adapters and blue tooth (as did the original). The dealer showed me what it would have cost even though the work was covered by warranty. It was almost 2K! Plan on an upgrade costing a whole lot more!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt the upgrade will work on anything other than an '09 and newer but you should ask your dealer just to make sure. There is one thing that is certain, the only way a PCM 3.0 will work in any car is if Porsche AG allows it and there is no way anyone can activate this unit without the help of a dealer.

Last week Porsche AG wrote a software patch that was necessary for the final piece of my puzzle. So now everything works great. I have nav, 6-disk, bluetooth and univ audio and no issues.

The upgrade does come at a very high price. Figure $5k min.

·
Registered
361 Posts
any update, I want to upgrade to PCM so I can have it work with my sports chrono

1 - 6 of 6 Posts