Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my PCM (3.1, 2014 Cayman S) was on the fritz. The Nav stopped working, and the unit kept rebooting every 5-10 minutes. I tried "resetting" it by pulling the fuse for 30 minutes or so, but that didn't resolve the issue. I then tried re-applying the 4.76 update via the DVD, but the update would fail about 90% of the way through with an error that it couldn't write files, and then the system just kept rebooting in to emergency update mode.

As a hail marry, I pulled out the drive (it's a 100GB sata 2.5 inch drive located at the top of the unit.) to see if I could get my pc to at least see it. Sure enough I was able to see the partitions, so I ran some diagnostics on it. These came up with bad blocks.

I ran down to Best Buy and grabbed a 120 gb PNY solid state drive off the shelf for $20. Using Clonezilla, I cloned the failing drive to the new SSD. There were a few bad blocks on the old drive, but it was mostly successful. I was primarily trying to get the boot sector anyway. Inserted the cloned SSD into the unit and bench booted it. It did boot into emergency update mode again (I suspected it would), but I popped the update disc in figuring "what's the worst that could happen?"

The update ran completely and successfully! I popped the entire unit back in the car and everything works flawlessly. It didn't copy over my jukebox files, but the nav, saved destinations, phone settings, presets, and even my lap recordings all copied over. Overall the unit seems a little quicker and more responsive - likely as a result of the SSD - and I suspect the SSD will be more reliable as it's less sensitive to vibration and heat than the traditional drive that was in there. If your PCM hasn't failed yet, perhaps this would be a preventative measure? The SSD is $20, and the Software Update disc is another $23 shipped. For under $45 seems like it would be an opportunity to save some cash in the long run vs. a Porsche replacement.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Last week my PCM (3.1, 2014 Cayman S) was on the fritz. The Nav stopped working, and the unit kept rebooting every 5-10 minutes. I tried "resetting" it by pulling the fuse for 30 minutes or so, but that didn't resolve the issue. I then tried re-applying the 4.76 update via the DVD, but the update would fail about 90% of the way through with an error that it couldn't write files, and then the system just kept rebooting in to emergency update mode.

As a hail marry, I pulled out the drive (it's a 100GB sata 2.5 inch drive located at the top of the unit.) to see if I could get my pc to at least see it. Sure enough I was able to see the partitions, so I ran some diagnostics on it. These came up with bad blocks.

I ran down to Best Buy and grabbed a 120 gb PNY solid state drive off the shelf for $20. Using Clonezilla, I cloned the failing drive to the new SSD. There were a few bad blocks on the old drive, but it was mostly successful. I was primarily trying to get the boot sector anyway. Inserted the cloned SSD into the unit and bench booted it. It did boot into emergency update mode again (I suspected it would), but I popped the update disc in figuring "what's the worst that could happen?"

The update ran completely and successfully! I popped the entire unit back in the car and everything works flawlessly. It didn't copy over my jukebox files, but the nav, saved destinations, phone settings, presets, and even my lap recordings all copied over. Overall the unit seems a little quicker and more responsive - likely as a result of the SSD - and I suspect the SSD will be more reliable as it's less sensitive to vibration and heat than the traditional drive that was in there. If your PCM hasn't failed yet, perhaps this would be a preventative measure? The SSD is $20, and the Software Update disc is another $23 shipped. For under $45 seems like it would be an opportunity to save some cash in the long run vs. a Porsche replacement.
Thanks for sharing this information!

The "update" disc you speak of, is this a Porsche PCM software update disc? Specifically the version 4.76 DVD?

Our 2016 Macan has PCM3.1 and it can be flakey, reboots sometimes, sometimes no AM.FM/Media selection, only Sirius XM etc.

Your suggestion might be worth a try..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing this information!

The "update" disc you speak of, is this a Porsche PCM software update disc? Specifically the version 4.76 DVD?

Our 2016 Macan has PCM3.1 and it can be flakey, reboots sometimes, sometimes no AM.FM/Media selection, only Sirius XM etc.

Your suggestion might be worth a try..

Yes. It's the software update to 4.76. I got mine here: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/store/p618/Porsche_PCM_3-1_Software_Update_DVD.html

My PCM flaked out a few times when I first got the car last year, but it seemed to be better after the update, right up until last week when it really started showing signs of failure. Once the maps wouldn't load at all, and the system just kept crashing and rebooting every 5-10 minutes I figured it was only a matter of time, and the worst that could happen was that I was going to have to replace the unit anyway. I actually do have another unit on the way and the seller indicated that they don't take returns, so I may be stuck with it. If that is the case, I will see exactly how much work needs to be put into upgrading the drive - i.e. do I have to clone the existing drive or can I just drop in a new one and run the update disc? I'll know more by the end of the week.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yes. It's the software update to 4.76. I got mine here: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/store/p618/Porsche_PCM_3-1_Software_Update_DVD.html

My PCM flaked out a few times when I first got the car last year, but it seemed to be better after the update, right up until last week when it really started showing signs of failure. Once the maps wouldn't load at all, and the system just kept crashing and rebooting every 5-10 minutes I figured it was only a matter of time, and the worst that could happen was that I was going to have to replace the unit anyway. I actually do have another unit on the way and the seller indicated that they don't take returns, so I may be stuck with it. If that is the case, I will see exactly how much work needs to be put into upgrading the drive - i.e. do I have to clone the existing drive or can I just drop in a new one and run the update disc? I'll know more by the end of the week.
I see, the software in the Macan PCM is already at v4.76 so I don't need to update but possibly clone the HDD before it fails, as you said possibly onto a SSD. Right now (fingers crossed) the PCM is stable, or at least the wife hasn't reported any strange behaviour, but the warranty is up in a few months so if it fails after that due to a HDD problem I would be on my own.

I would be interested to know what you find out, as I don't have the update disc my preference would be to simply clone the existing drive... were you planning to try this or are you confident that this process will work if the existing HDD is still readable?

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, the software in the Macan PCM is already at v4.76 so I don't need to update but possibly clone the HDD before it fails, as you said possibly onto a SSD. Right now (fingers crossed) the PCM is stable, or at least the wife hasn't reported any strange behaviour, but the warranty is up in a few months so if it fails after that due to a HDD problem I would be on my own.

I would be interested to know what you find out, as I don't have the update disc my preference would be to simply clone the existing drive... were you planning to try this or are you confident that this process will work if the existing HDD is still readable?

Keep us posted...
I was able to clone a bad drive, so I assume cloning a good drive would go well, and I might be able to skip having to run the update. Looks like I'll be stuck with the replacement unit, so I'm going to try a few scenarios and I'll post my findings. I may offer it for sale once I'm done as an upgraded unit, just to recoup the cost of the replacement I will end up not needing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is great info! I would still be concerned with heat though - I've had at least a couple of USB memory sticks die from heat in the car. The HD would have been spec'd for the expected heat ... an off-the-shelf SSD not so much. But with a failing HD anyway, for $20, how can you go wrong?!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is great info! I would still be concerned with heat though - I've had at least a couple of USB memory sticks die from heat in the car. The HD would have been spec'd for the expected heat ... an off-the-shelf SSD not so much. But with a failing HD anyway, for $20, how can you go wrong?!
Good thought. I did some quick research and it does appear that SSDs are generally more heat tolerant than HDDs, but it's certainly something to keep in mind. I'm considering going and buying another drive, cloning the new one I just installed in the unit to that and keeping it as a backup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jslo73 nailed this one! Thank you! My 2014 Cayenne had the rebooting about every 4 minutes and 20 seconds. As a software guy, I suspected that it was trying to update something and failing (unable to write to the hard drive). This was the only thread I found anywhere that mentioned that these radios have a hard drive in them. Of course it is going to fail at some point!

I was unable to use Clonezilla (didn't like my computer for some reason), however I used Easeus.com to clone the drive successfully (and even have a copy of the image file saved on my computer). I have a friend at a local dealer who then ran the Update DVD. When it was finished, it came up in the emergency update mode. He was then able to use the USB update (that I guess only the dealers have?) and I believe that it reloaded all the necessary OS bits (full update instead of partial like the DVD). Although the drive cloned, the cloning program would ignore bad block, which would leave corrupted files, apps, etc. After the USB update was done, everything was running perfectly! My radio was on 4.73 and was updated to 4.76. He was very surprised this worked, as he said that if you get the emergency mode (in English/French) that the radio is toast, in his experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jslo73 nailed this one! Thank you! My 2014 Cayenne had the rebooting about every 4 minutes and 20 seconds. As a software guy, I suspected that it was trying to update something and failing (unable to write to the hard drive). This was the only thread I found anywhere that mentioned that these radios have a hard drive in them. Of course it is going to fail at some point!

I was unable to use Clonezilla (didn't like my computer for some reason), however I used Easeus.com to clone the drive successfully (and even have a copy of the image file saved on my computer). I have a friend at a local dealer who then ran the Update DVD. When it was finished, it came up in the emergency update mode. He was then able to use the USB update (that I guess only the dealers have?) and I believe that it reloaded all the necessary OS bits (full update instead of partial like the DVD). Although the drive cloned, the cloning program would ignore bad block, which would leave corrupted files, apps, etc. After the USB update was done, everything was running perfectly! My radio was on 4.73 and was updated to 4.76. He was very surprised this worked, as he said that if you get the emergency mode (in English/French) that the radio is toast, in his experience.
Happy to hear you got it working. Your experience was basically exactly what mine was. Drive had a bad block. Cloned it. System went into emergency update. Ran update and everything was perfect after that.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts

So did you clone the now working drive as a precaution? I am still considering this as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So did you clone the now working drive as a precaution? I am still considering this as well.
I did make a back up copy of the newly cloned and working drive, but sadly, I lost the car in a flood due to a broken water main 3 weeks ago. The car is now gone and I'll be on the hunt for a replacement eventually, but it took my a substantial amount of time to find that one. I currently have no place to keep the car anyway as my driveway is completely undermined from the material washed out by the water and it will likely be spring before I can even use the driveway and garage again/

·
Registered
526 Posts
My system is working, but has an occasional reboot issue (once every couple months). I'm looking at maybe doing this as a preventative measure. If I clone the drive to a new one and install it, will it go into emergency update mode, or will it just run? I'm trying to determine whether I need to source an update CD prior to starting this process, or since my system is running, whether it will just work with the cloned drive.

I've been looking for a industrial grade drive with a large operating temperature range. The only one I've been able to find is a TOROSUS on Amazon. Anyone else found anything?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I did make a back up copy of the newly cloned and working drive, but sadly, I lost the car in a flood due to a broken water main 3 weeks ago. The car is now gone and I'll be on the hunt for a replacement eventually, but it took my a substantial amount of time to find that one. I currently have no place to keep the car anyway as my driveway is completely undermined from the material washed out by the water and it will likely be spring before I can even use the driveway and garage again/
Wow, that is incredibly bad luck, sorry to hear about the damages and loss of your car, good luck when the hunt resumes and thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My system is working, but has an occasional reboot issue (once every couple months). I'm looking at maybe doing this as a preventative measure. If I clone the drive to a new one and install it, will it go into emergency update mode, or will it just run? I'm trying to determine whether I need to source an update CD prior to starting this process, or since my system is running, whether it will just work with the cloned drive.

I've been looking for a industrial grade drive with a large operating temperature range. The only one I've been able to find is a TOROSUS on Amazon. Anyone else found anything?
A proper clone on a good drive should just work without using the update drive. I made a second back up of the cloned drive in case the cloned one failed, but it never did. SSDs are generally more tolerant. My work laptop was submerged in the flood as well (31 inches of water in the garage and basement. My IT guys were able to pull the SSD out of it and clone the data, recovering probably 5 years of work. I'll be doing a lot more frequent backups from now on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Performed this mod yesterday with no issue. I cloned a working PCM to a 120gb SSD and it worked flawlessly. Took like 40 min to perform the clone.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Performed this mod yesterday with no issue. I cloned a working PCM to a 120gb SSD and it worked flawlessly. Took like 40 min to perform the clone.
Good work!

What software did you use to do the clone process?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry I didn't see you reply to my post back then. Just saw a notification today about this thread. Yes, I did make a backup image of the new SSD HD after everything was back up and running again. If the SSD dies, I will still be able to setup a new drive with good information.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am in the same boat as WestCoaster - occasion reboot. I have a couple of questions:
1. did the SSD improve system performance - especially around Bluetooth and ipod connection? (my car seems to take forever for my phone to connect and be visible as Ipod media option)
2. where is the drive physically located? I can research but thought I would simply ask the question here.
3. what brand of SSD did you guys end up using - I am looking at the Samsung Evo and Evo PRO, possibly the Crucial as they are highly rated for computer use and performance.

thanks in advance.

(WestCoaster, didnt you have a Blue GTS a while back? Nice upgrade!)

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I am in the same boat as WestCoaster - occasion reboot. I have a couple of questions:
1. did the SSD improve system performance - especially around Bluetooth and ipod connection? (my car seems to take forever for my phone to connect and be visible as Ipod media option)
2. where is the drive physically located? I can research but thought I would simply ask the question here.
3. what brand of SSD did you guys end up using - I am looking at the Samsung Evo and Evo PRO, possibly the Crucial as they are highly rated for computer use and performance.

thanks in advance.

Hey there Caymian, yes I had a 2016 DBM Boxster GTS, by upgrade do you mean the Spyder stuff(?), thanks! It turned out well, many compliments but it was an expensive endeavour, trying to stay away from that depth of project in the future.

As for the PCM reboots, this is in the wife's Macan, it still acts up from time to time but since we have an extended warranty I can't touch it just yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts

thanks in advance.

1) Yes it is faster. Not sure if it is faster connecting to the phone. Boots much faster though. 2) The drive is on top of the radio unit. On the Cayenne I was actually able to pull the HD without needing to disconnect any wires. 3) I got a Kingston 120gb from Amazon. Was rated pretty well and you don't need a bigger HD than what was in there (which was an 80gb). No need for overkill there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts