Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does anyone know if the power port in the center console turns off with the ignition or some time later? I’d really like to see if I can find the right size wireless charger for the center console but if the power outlet there doesn’t shut off then it will drain the battery pretty fast! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Great post! I appreciate the specific part #s for the hard drive cloning part of the project, I really should do that one of these days. Still on the fence about a Joyeauto upgrade. It's tempting, but it seems that at least a few users have seen inconsistent behavior with it, long bootup times, and so forth. Would be good to hear if any pet peeves emerge over time as you get used to the new system.

I do have satellite radio, but my understanding from a thread on Rennlist is that it will still function if you use custom spacers to keep both boards in place.

At least you're in a good position to troubleshoot it. Is that a 535 or a 545? Sure looks cherry. :)

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I wouldn't have anything to do with JoyeAuto or Ali either for that matter. Glad you were able to get their stuff to work. Their Apple CarPlay unit I purchased wasn't compatible with my car and their refused a refund even though the sale showed a money back guarantee.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just changed the HD in the PCM for a SSD using Clonezilla. The PCM started normally, only the jukebox appeared to be empty but that came back after a few minutes. Overall a very easy job and now the PCM seems more responsive. Many thanks to the original poster for the nice explanation.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
At least you're in a good position to troubleshoot it. Is that a 535 or a 545? Sure looks cherry. :)
It is a 545A from 1959. The scope still works great — I have a few modules for it, but only one is still operational. My plan is to recondition and re-calibrate everything in my retirement and then teach myself proper tube amp design. For the moment, I don’t get to use it as often as I would like.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just wanted to update everyone on this. There is something wrong with the sound when playing through the CarPlay device. It is very weak and no amount of tweaking of its settings will help. It is as if the amp is not powered. The back speakers also do not work at all.

When playing from the PCM through BT or USB everything sounds normal — the very weak sound is only through the CarPlay device.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I may be able to have a look this weekend, but I’m not sure if there is anything I could change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to perform this install as well. I'm wondering what the little wire-free 3.5 mm plug that comes with the kit is for? Am I correct by guessing that you must install it in the glovebox input to indicate to the PCM that the AUX is being used?

Just wanted to update everyone on this. There is something wrong with the sound when playing through the CarPlay device. It is very weak and no amount of tweaking of its settings will help. It is as if the amp is not powered. The back speakers also do not work at all.

When playing from the PCM through BT or USB everything sounds normal — the very weak sound is only through the CarPlay device.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I may be able to have a look this weekend, but I’m not sure if there is anything I could change.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I want to perform this install as well. I'm wondering what the little wire-free 3.5 mm plug that comes with the kit is for? Am I correct by guessing that you must install it in the glovebox input to indicate to the PCM that the AUX is being used?
Except of this were the case and the 3.5mm Jack was not really connected to anything and AUX was selected as the sound source then there would no sound.

@canux what is the PCM selection suggested for audio playback with this add on module?

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the surface, not understanding what I'm talking about, that makes sense. But it's connecting to AUX via the JOY control box in the dash so there would be sound.

Except of this were the case and the 3.5mm Jack was not really connected to anything and AUX was selected as the sound source then there would no sound.

@canux what is the PCM selection suggested for audio playback with this add on module?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
On the surface, not understanding what I'm talking about, that makes sense. But it's connecting to AUX via the JOY control box in the dash so there would be sound.
So are you saying that the wire-free 3.5mm Jack is providing a wireless (possibly BT?) connection to the PCM for audio playback?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, I 'm guessing that it's signaling to the PCM to accept AUX audio, but I don't really know. Perhaps the PCM looks for something plugged into the AUX input. The JOY unit is already connected to AUX internally. My question is what's that wire-free 3.5 mm jack for? Whether it has anything to do with canux's audio problems, I don't know. I just thought I'd ask since he's had first-hand experience with everything.

So are you saying that the wire-free 3.5mm Jack is providing a wireless (possibly BT?) connection to the PCM for audio playback?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No, I 'm guessing that it's signaling to the PCM to accept AUX audio, but I don't really know. Perhaps the PCM looks for something plugged into the AUX input. The JOY unit is already connected to AUX internally. My question is what's that wire-free 3.5 mm jack for? Whether it has anything to do with canux's audio problems, I don't know. I just thought I'd ask since he's had first-hand experience with everything.
The short answer is that I don’t know. The PCM has to be set to AUX to get any sound, but nothing is plugged into the AUX jack in the glove box. I don’t remember running across any instructions anywhere about what to do with it.

I will double-check today.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
From the one page instructions that came with the unit (which I have uploaded here):

"AUX adapter connect to aux port from armrest box".

You're guess is as good as mine what that means. I spent another couple of hours on this today and ended up ripping the unit out. I couldn't live with the sound quality. It seems like it doesn't know about the amp (I have Sound Package Plus with my GTS). I know that the unit is not compatible with BOSE which has the amp, so I'm guessing that it also doesn't work with the SPP+ amp.

Unfortunately, I did not try to plug the adapter into the AUX plug in the glovebox. I suspect it does nothing except tell you that you can't use that plug for anything now. The Joyeauto unit already outputs to AUX (your audio must already be on that setting), and it does work (although the sound is pretty bad). I could potentially use a multimeter to probe it out and see if there is any connectivity between the connectors.

I already own the SunCoast front plate / aftermarket kit so I think that's where I'm going to focus next. I have a road trip coming up in September so I have some time to sort this out before then.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Curiosity got the better of me and I checked the 3.5mm jack. No connectivity at all. It’s just meant to tell you and your passenger that you can’t use the AUX jack anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for checking.

I've asked the seller on AliExpress and he is saying that the JOY system works with Bose/Sound Package Plus. In fact, the install video on YouTube by Auto Amateur, he has the Bose system and everything works. He shows it streaming music via CarPlay. Considering the audio is via the AUX, it shouldn't matter what system you have. It should just work.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Curiosity got the better of me and I checked the 3.5mm jack. No connectivity at all. It’s just meant to tell you and your passenger that you can’t use the AUX jack anymore.
That makes sense (the 3.5mm plug), sorry to hear that the project didn't pan out!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for checking.

I've asked the seller on AliExpress and he is saying that the JOY system works with Bose/Sound Package Plus. In fact, the install video on YouTube by Auto Amateur, he has the Bose system and everything works. He shows it streaming music via CarPlay. Considering the audio is via the AUX, it shouldn't matter what system you have. It should just work.
My PCM was a retrofit by Porsche. My car originally came with just the standard radio and I paid a Porsche dealer to add in PCM later. It took them a few days to get it all right and then about a year later it died and another dealer had to replace it with a new unit under warrantee (which also took several days).

My fault for not getting PCM from the start. Live and learn. But I’m not too surprised that it didn’t work in my case. For the record I paid a dealer $5k to install it after-the-fact.

I’m not going to rip the joyeauto board out of the PCM, but later this year if and when I replace it with something else, I would send the whole works to someone else who wants it for the cost of the shipping (pcm, boards, cables, etc)

What I would really like is a pin-out of all of the connectors at the back of the PCM so I know what cable is for what function. Need to do some digging on that.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts