Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Sorry for your case. Works perfectly in my case with PCM 3.1 and waiting to connect to camera. Hope somebody answer my questions.
Review this thread, it has most of what you need, in the end I took power for the rear camera from one of the front fuse panel on the passenger side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Review this thread, it has most of what you need, in the end I took power for the rear camera from one of the front fuse panel on the passenger side.

Thank you for your reply. as I purchased wireless transmitter from camera it does not make sense to connect power source from front fuse box. Hope somebody respond to my question I pasted here.

Now I need power source for rear transmitter. I am looking for rear fuse box to connect but my 981 manual has only front fuse box information. Can somebody help me, how should I connect camera to power source at trunk area? Should I also put connection behind the brake light?

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Thank you for your reply. as I purchased wireless transmitter from camera it does not make sense to connect power source from front fuse box. Hope somebody respond to my question I pasted here.

Now I need power source for rear transmitter. I am looking for rear fuse box to connect but my 981 manual has only front fuse box information. Can somebody help me, how should I connect camera to power source at trunk area? Should I also put connection behind the brake light?
Hmmmm, you must not have read the thread I provided the link to, not only did it explain why I used power from up front, post #52 shows the rear fuse box, the availability of space there to connect in depends on options in your particular car.

Respectfully, your question indicates that you are not versed in wiring and connections in a modern car, as it can be dangerous to alter wiring I recommend that you proceed with caution or enlist professional help, asking here should only provide guidance like "that fuse block is in the right rear of the trunk". To properly asses any suggestions made in a forum like this you need to know and understand how something should be done in the first place to evaluate what would be the correct way to proceed.

Personally I would not risk damaging my car doing something I didn't fully understand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmmm, you must not have read the thread I provided the link to, not only did it explain why I used power from up front, post #52 shows the rear fuse box, the availability of space there to connect in depends on options in your particular car.

Respectfully, your question indicates that you are not versed in wiring and connections in a modern car, as it can be dangerous to alter wiring I recommend that you proceed with caution or enlist professional help, asking here should only provide guidance like "that fuse block is in the right rear of the trunk". To properly asses any suggestions made in a forum like this you need to know and understand how something should be done in the first place to evaluate what would be the correct way to proceed.

Personally I would not risk damaging my car doing something I didn't fully understand.
Thank you. Yes I miss to read post#52. I will try post #53 to see how it might work for my need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It appeared that wireless did not provide expected resolutions. I ended up to connect camera by wire from trunk to passenger side and connected to Joyeauto box. CarPlay and rear camera work great! Thank you the Planet-9 forum.

Toyota Soarer G1 (Japan only model to G3 is Lexus SC)
MGB (Japan)
Maserati Biturbo (Japan)
Jeep cherokee (USA)
Matsuda MX5 NA G1 (USA)
Land Rover Discovery G1 (Japan)
Mustang V6 (USA)
Honda S2000 (USA I drove 13 years!)
981B manual
981BS PDK (current car)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
@seguchi Congrats on getting the project done, looking good!

So I see you came from a S2000 to the Boxster, why the change? Any regrets on the move?

·
Registered
20 Posts
@seguchi Congrats on getting the project done, looking good!

So I see you came from a S2000 to the Boxster, why the change? Any regrets on the move?
I love cars too much so all my past car was daily except MGB which I shared with my father at Tokyo. I used to work at Nashville and it was great city/State with S2000 (Year 2000 model!). At Philly I must drive highway everyday and it is a weak point for S2000 as convertible top is only one layer (lots of wind noise and lots of rattle when near 75000 miles). When I was getting older (50 some), I decided to buy something else (as sporty as S2000 but comfortable enough for a highway driving). Yes occasionally I regret and wish If I could keep it. S2000 has ultra sharp handling. S2000 engine runs to 9000rpm and ultra smooth. I was kind proud of this product from my home country and its near hand-build at Honda factory. Honestly 981 shift is not as great as S2000, one of the reason I changed 981B to 981BS PDK.

I have additional story that my current 981BS was driven by one of the member of this forum (I found it because my car has hidden Bike career attachment and picture with it shows the same exterior color and special sheet color combination). I contacted him and he explained me that he must sell the car due to his job at UK.

As I kept S2000 more than 10 year, my plan is to keep this 981BS as much as I can!

Thank you for asking me.

S

Attachments

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I love cars too much so all my past car was daily except MGB which I shared with my father at Tokyo. I used to work at Nashville and it was great city/State with S2000 (Year 2000 model!). At Philly I must drive highway everyday and it is a weak point for S2000 as convertible top is only one layer (lots of wind noise and lots of rattle when near 75000 miles). When I was getting older (50 some), I decided to buy something else (as sporty as S2000 but comfortable enough for a highway driving). Yes occasionally I regret and wish If I could keep it. S2000 has ultra sharp handling. S2000 engine runs to 9000rpm and ultra smooth. I was kind proud of this product from my home country and its near hand-build at Honda factory. Honestly 981 shift is not as great as S2000, one of the reason I changed 981B to 981BS PDK.

I have additional story that my current 981BS was driven by one of the member of this forum (I found it because my car has hidden Bike career attachment and picture with it shows the same exterior color and special sheet color combination). I contacted him and he explained me that he must sell the car due to his job at UK.

As I kept S2000 more than 10 year, my plan is to keep this 981BS as much as I can!

Thank you for asking me.

S
Very cool, most of my career has been with a division of a small Japanese company by the name of Hitachi, never made it to Japan but a few of my colleagues have. I have a buddy with a 2007 S2000 that he bought brand new and will never likely part with, it is his pride and joy and painted in an interesting colour, Imola Orange.

None of my sports cars have really been daily drivers, I preferred saving the seat time for the back roads or journeys to car events, I did drive the last couple for work on occasion but found them a concern when parking wasn't the best so I bought a truck for stuff around the house and those daily work trips.

I am looking forward to the incoming Spyder and trust it will take the driving experience just a notch higher, the reviewers are raving about it's suspension, handling and shifter saying that it is a pure drivers car, possibly one of the best Porsche is currently offering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to update everyone on this. There is something wrong with the sound when playing through the CarPlay device. It is very weak and no amount of tweaking of its settings will help. It is as if the amp is not powered. The back speakers also do not work at all.

When playing from the PCM through BT or USB everything sounds normal — the very weak sound is only through the CarPlay device.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I may be able to have a look this weekend, but I’m not sure if there is anything I could change.
On other Porsches with BOSE, there is a fibre optic cable (MOST) that has to be removed from the original wiring harness, and moved back and into the Joyeauto supplied harness. If you miss that step during the install, your sound will be either terrible or non-existent.

Just thinking through the audio path here. The audio signal for Carplay is going to originate with your iPhone. When connecting, your phone connects via Bluetooth to the Joyeauto box. The two of them then negotiate a wifi connection, and switch over (because video can't go over bluetooth, and you need the video of the iphone screen to be proxied on the PCM).

Once that's established, the audio signal exits the Joyeauto box by the RCA cable, which connects into the AUX in the back of the PCM. Once inside the PCM, the audio signal is processed by the PCM (volume, fader, bass, treble etc), and then exits via the factory wiring harness, which is in turn connected to the Joyeauto supplied wiring harness.

From the Joyeauto wiring harness, the audio signal transfer over to the Fibre MOST loop, which heads to the Bose Amp, which is a digital amp. That does digital/analog conversion and outputs sound, analog, via copper, to the speakers.

There must be some sort of bridge in the Joyeauto wiring harness that converts the signal coming out of the PCM into the digital fibre signal that can be accepted by the MOST network, as I think about this. I don't remember seeing it, but I didn't look that hard.

I would focus my troubleshooting on the single cable RCA plug that comes from the Joyeauto box and goes into the PCM AUX input. If the problem was the output through the MOST network, none of your audio functions would work. But your jukebox and factory PCM-established bluetooth connections work fine, so it doesn't sound like the problem is on the exit path to the Bose Amp.

One other thing to check is that there is a March 2020 software update for the Joyeauto box, which can be installed via USB stick. It changed the sound noticably on my 958.2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update on my experience.

I've installed the Joyeauto system. Everything works great and the audio sounds good. It brings the car up to date. Money and time well spent.

A note on iOS 14 and the changes to CarPlay. I'm running the developer beta of iOS 14 and CarPlay works great with the Joye system. No problems there.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
On other Porsches with BOSE, there is a fibre optic cable (MOST) that has to be removed from the original wiring harness, and moved back and into the Joyeauto supplied harness. If you miss that step during the install, your sound will be either terrible or non-existent.

Just thinking through the audio path here. The audio signal for Carplay is going to originate with your iPhone. When connecting, your phone connects via Bluetooth to the Joyeauto box. The two of them then negotiate a wifi connection, and switch over (because video can't go over bluetooth, and you need the video of the iphone screen to be proxied on the PCM).

Once that's established, the audio signal exits the Joyeauto box by the RCA cable, which connects into the AUX in the back of the PCM. Once inside the PCM, the audio signal is processed by the PCM (volume, fader, bass, treble etc), and then exits via the factory wiring harness, which is in turn connected to the Joyeauto supplied wiring harness.

From the Joyeauto wiring harness, the audio signal transfer over to the Fibre MOST loop, which heads to the Bose Amp, which is a digital amp. That does digital/analog conversion and outputs sound, analog, via copper, to the speakers.

There must be some sort of bridge in the Joyeauto wiring harness that converts the signal coming out of the PCM into the digital fibre signal that can be accepted by the MOST network, as I think about this. I don't remember seeing it, but I didn't look that hard.

I would focus my troubleshooting on the single cable RCA plug that comes from the Joyeauto box and goes into the PCM AUX input. If the problem was the output through the MOST network, none of your audio functions would work. But your jukebox and factory PCM-established bluetooth connections work fine, so it doesn't sound like the problem is on the exit path to the Bose Amp.

One other thing to check is that there is a March 2020 software update for the Joyeauto box, which can be installed via USB stick. It changed the sound noticably on my 958.2.
Thank you for this detailed post. I will check for the software update and see if I can get that installed.

Unfortunately I don’t have Bose. I’ve got the CDR+ system (I think that is what it is called). It does have an amp under the passenger seat, however.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts