Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
34,485 Posts
With the DVD unit or the Nav software you won't have Navigation, but it does give you the screen and radio controls that way, hmmm *might* also give you the bar graphs for SC, however you need to have this all setup with the PIWIS system to make it really work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi K-Man, can you elaborate on the DVD unit and Nav software?Are you saying it still won't display navigation with this PCM unit? Would this system work the right way if it was taken to the dealership and had it done correctly?

thanks

·
Administrator
34,485 Posts
There is a LOT more needed to make this display Navigation, here's a run down:

1) DVD player - $795

2) GPS Antenna - $475

3) Antenna wire - $55

4) Navigation disk - $495

5) Misc cables needed dependent upon your car's options - $200-$400.

So you're looking at another $2K to get Navigation, and this auction closed at $1300.

I was interested in this unit until the seller could NOT provide the code # needed to activate it. If this unit had really been removed from their own car they should have it in their owner's manual. Without it, this unit is worthless and I suspect it might have been stolen, although I guess there could be other reasons why they didn't have the code #.

At a bare minimum after the install you would have to hook it up to a Porsche PIWIS machine to try and activate it. I have a feeling that the top bidder bought themselves a $1300 hunk of plastic and metal and that we'll see this on Ebay again soon either from a buyer who discovers this after the fact or from the same seller if confronted with a smart buyer.

BTW, this particular part from Porsche is around $2750 if you were to ask your local parts dept. to order it.

·
Administrator
34,485 Posts
And it turns out this was a bogus sale and some phisher's tried to jump in and send bogus 2nd chance offers as well! I got email from Ebay asking if I had received 2nd chance offers on the item and I had (I was not high bidder) and that if a 2nd chance offer doesn't show up in your Ebay inbox it isn't a valid one. Sure enough neither did, one was from Detroit the other from the U.K. So I have a feeling the unit was stolen in the first place and who knows could have been damaged or whatever.

·
1,059 Posts
For equipment like the PCM, best to stick with Porsche dealers, as they will be able to install n back their products. If there are enough interest, maybe one of our sponsors can do a group buy to retro-fit. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I recommend the Garmin Nuvi 350 @ $597 from pcnation.com It's a great unit and can be dash or windshield mounted. I mounted mine to the far left of steering wheel using the windshield mount and hard wired it to the fuse box which is at driver's left foot.

·
1,059 Posts
I got the Nuvi 360, it is a great unit, but the speaker volumn is a bit low. The bluetooth works well, screen is still small compare to the PCM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts