Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Carrera S Cabrio that has some sort of gremlin affecting the PCM. When I come out to the car in the morning and open the door I get 4-5 loud high pitched blasts of "static" type sounds from the stereo speakers. And then after starting the car I can't get any sound out of the stereo. The screen on the PCM appears normal and shows radio station info, just no sound. I have tried resetting the PCM by holding 1,4,& 8, but that doesn't work. Once I shut the car off and let it "rest" for a while it will usually work fine the next time I start the car. I have also noticed that it only seems to happen when the temperature is 45 degrees or less. The first few times it scared the crap out of me, now it has become somewhat entertaining to watch the reactions of others riding in my car. Anyone have any insight??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 Boxster S (987) that seems to have the exact same problem. When I turn the car on, most of the time I don't have any sound (and it will stay quite for the whole trip), but occasionally it's back and everything plays perfectly like it should. Sometimes I also get the blasts of static sounds. I'd say 30% of the time.

The rest of the PCM seems to work fine, but not being able to use the radio is buggin' the hell out of me.

Logically it could be one of three things right?
- The PCM
- The amp
- The wires

I haven't gotten around to doing some tests, but I'll start with pulling some fuses to see if anything changes.

Have you had any results so far?

- Sascha

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a 2006 Carrera S Cabrio that has some sort of gremlin affecting the PCM. When I come out to the car in the morning and open the door I get 4-5 loud high pitched blasts of "static" type sounds from the stereo speakers. And then after starting the car I can't get any sound out of the stereo. The screen on the PCM appears normal and shows radio station info, just no sound. I have tried resetting the PCM by holding 1,4,& 8, but that doesn't work. Once I shut the car off and let it "rest" for a while it will usually work fine the next time I start the car. I have also noticed that it only seems to happen when the temperature is 45 degrees or less. The first few times it scared the crap out of me, now it has become somewhat entertaining to watch the reactions of others riding in my car. Anyone have any insight??
I had this exact issue back when I bought my 981 Cayman in 2013. Its very first Winter had the same problems only when cold, but all worked well once the temp in the car came up. Like you, I discovered this only happens at about 40-45F or less. The dealer kept the car for a few cold days and verified the issue but couldn't explain the problem, so they replaced my PCM under warranty with no issues ever since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this exact issue back when I bought my 981 Cayman in 2013. Its very first Winter had the same problems only when cold, but all worked well once the temp in the car came up. Like you, I discovered this only happens at about 40-45F or less. The dealer kept the car for a few cold days and verified the issue but couldn't explain the problem, so they replaced my PCM under warranty with no issues ever since.
Hi ICNU! Thanks for the comment. Do you know if they just replaced the PCM or did they also replace the amp? Because I'm still trying to figure out whether it's the PCM or the amp. ;-)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hi ICNU! Thanks for the comment. Do you know if they just replaced the PCM or did they also replace the amp? Because I'm still trying to figure out whether it's the PCM or the amp. ;-)
They told me they replaced the PCM. I was assigned a different serial number for my Sirius Satellite as well and had to have them switch my servic to the new number. I dont recall any discussion regarding the amp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts